Thread: Valeo Starters

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

Valeo Starters

The starter motor in my 1994 R100-R quit this weekend. One of the magnets delaminated from case and bound the whole thing up. I'm not looking for advice, a direct-drop replacement Nippon-Denso starter is on order, and I will be back on the road soon. I'm just wondering which years BMW used these starters.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Hmmm...Matt Parkhouse had an article recently (I think) about the Valeo and the magnets. I wonder if he mentioned the years that these were used...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

But if you get one of the updated starters, they've fixed the magnet problem with a different internal design and internal spring support. Still spins faster with less power draw...and maybe $200.
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

Smile starter repair

I have taken two R100RT starters to the local alternator/starter repair facility near me. The replace the starter housing with one from a Saturn car. The Saturn magnets are held in with metal clips. The use the BMW armeture as the gear is different. Charged me $65.00 and one has been running for about 40k miles with no problems.
    Just thought you would like to know an inexpensive way that works.

Ray