• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Consumption Rate

C

cobermark1

I have read on a couple of different web sites that have people stating that according to BMW it is acceptable for the K 1100 motor to use 1.5l of oil per 1000km. I have yet to find something put out by BMW that says something like that. Has anyone else?

oil consumption

I have a K100 Lt which is basically the same engine, smaller bore. Both engines are in the same K-bike Clymer manual. The offical BMW 'Riders manual' lists the oil consumption 1/100km 0.15 Onces/mile 0.08.

My K100 has 29,000 miles and has no visible oil consumption on the sight glass @ 3000 mile changes.

Ralph Sims

Stated another way (I think), BMW's oil consumption limit is one liter per 1000Km. That is a lot. As others have said, K bikes usually use almost no oil. And oil/air heads use some. Maybe a quart in several thousand miles.

Stated another way (I think), BMW's oil consumption limit is one liter per 1000Km. That is a lot. As others have said, K bikes usually use almost no oil. And oil/air heads use some. Maybe a quart in several thousand miles.

I've had a K100RT & K75RT and currently have a R80RT and a R1200CLC and none of them have ever used oil. They all have had between 30,000 and 50,000 miles on them so they were almost broken in when I got them.

I use 20W50 Castrol conventional.

Last edited:
My experience with old series K bikes. I had a K75, and two K100's that didn't use oil. Then both of my K 1100LT's use 2 ounces of oil every 800 miles like clockwork. Since the KLT is 14 years keeping an eye on the oil level is a prudent practice, a drastic change in oil consumption may indicate a rear seal going out. Although it wouldn't save any repair expense, it would eliminate the time and trouble of hauling it to a shop from where ever.

JON
looking for another BMW

Then again......

BMW's stated oil consumption limit may be under Autobahn riding conditions......like maybe in Montana some of our K-bike owners might see using a quart of oil in 2000-3000 miles if most of the riding is at 100mph+.......??

oil consuming

I have figured out that the BMW machines would rather be out on the road than comuting around town. I have a k100Lt with 134,000 miles under its oil sump. If I ride it hard across the "fruited plain" the bike will not use as much oil as it does here in the minneapolis metro area.
However my disclaimer, I ride year around. Consumption goes up when the temperatures drop. Usually I change the weight from 20W50 to 10W40. This helps in starting the bike when the temps are under 20 degrees. Seepage has been monitored due to addiction of riding all year... heh

tim lindstrom

Tim,

That's impressive! I live in the Minneapolis area also and park whatever bike I have when the temps go below freezing. I went down on ice on a Wizard motor bike back in the late 50s and still get the willies over hitting ice when it's really cold out.

This year I have a K100RS that has used a 1/2 quart of Amsoil 20w50 in 4000 miles of interstate commuting. Bruce

Back