• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bicycle shorts

tgf429

Plasterman
How many people use these when riding? Are they comfortable, any issues with long distance use?

Thanks

Tom

I use bike short liners, as opposed to bike shorts. They look the same, and have the chamois in the crotch, but are thinner. Got them at an outdoor store. That's all I use under my Rallye II Pro pants.

I wear em' on longer journeys, combined with Gold Bond powder. The comfort level is far superior to wearing plain old underwear and riding pants. Get a good quality pair, wash them out at night, Wring out as much as possible, they will dry by morning because of the material they are made of. Some of the really good ones even have anti bacterial chamios (padding) and that is a good thing. BTW do not wear underwear with them or your nether regions will scream with discomfort.
A good place to look is http://www.performancebike.com

Sorry, as a DJ I once listened to years ago (Kevin Matthews) would say, "Is it wrong"?!

Whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Wide World of Shorts

Since we are all getting intimate here, I guess I can share that I just bought a modified version of bicycle riding shorts from the good folks at Aerostich. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that these things don't seem to have a fly? I mean, what's up with that?
:cat

Last edited:
shorts

When I was racing I always wore bik shorts under my leathers. If I'm wearing riding pants today, I still wear them. More than anything, they just keep everything where it's supposed to be. Also, since most are "poly" blends, the moisture is notbuilding up. I have always felt they make riding more comfortable.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Riding-Shorts-p-16554.html

Aerostich Riding Shorts #1856 - One of the best technology crossovers from bicycling to motorcycling are padded, stretchy shorts. Really. If youÔÇÖve never worn these things on a long ride, you owe it to yourself. They seem to add another couple hundred miles to a day, as they keep the ÔÇÿfanny agonyÔÇÖ at bay longer than yer basic briefs. These are a modified version of bicycle shorts, cut slightly shorter in the legs, and with all the Lycra and fleece of the originals. Put a stop to chafing, stay comfortable and keep riding! $32

1856_1a.jpg

How many people use these when riding? Are they comfortable, any issues with long distance use?

Thanks

Tom

i wear my pearl izumi cycling shorts on any ride longer than a few hours. no problems, they're wonderful.

bicycle shorts

I've used them for years on longer rides. I get mine at Mountain Equipment Co-op. The prices are reasonable and quality is very good.

Rinty

Last edited:
Ok, men talking about what they wear under their clothes.
Fundamentaly wrong?

Maybe the word "men" made you uncomfortable. How about "bikers" regardless of gender? I think this is a good topic.

I started wearing non-padded bicycle shorts (i.e. compression shorts) shortly after I started riding long distance. It has made a tremendous difference in my comfort. I never ride longer than 50 miles without 'em.

Added bonus: they pack really small and when you wash them, they dry in only a few minutes.

Last edited:
1856_1a.jpg

Even more comfortable than these, are ones that have a one piece gussett (I think that's the tailoring term, it's the crotch piece) Sometimes that seam down the middle can be, uh, problematic.

Also, long trips, where riding is the only order, and rider's wear the only garb, these things, from the world of scuba, are the best. Also under leathers. (If you've ever tried to get a set of sweat-soaked leathers off, you know what I mean.)

ATL11713-2.jpg

The secret is to avoid cotton. Cotton traps moisture, which become uncomfortable after a few hours.

Scuba Skin

Using a scuba skin is great as long as you never need to go to the rest room, in which case you are probably dehydrated.

I use mine even if only snorkeling. In a group studying for a week at a marine research center in the Bahamas, I was the only person who didn't get a burn, and I had the most burnable skin there (genetically programmed for 66 degrees north.)
I just went to my son's wedding in Spain and the week before the wedding I insisted on wearing the skin at the beach so I wouldn't have a burn on the wedding day. If the job of parents is to embarrass their kids, that sure did it. It was a topless beach!

Holly

Bicycle shorts in place of underwear

Don't try bike shorts under jeans unless you have suspenders on. I made that
mistake at the Biltmore house tour and couldn't keep my pants up! The slick
material had almost no friction. Works great under ballistic nylon vented pants.:laugh

Bicycle shorts in place of underwear

material had almost no friction. Works great under ballistic nylon vented pants.

material had almost no friction. Works great under ballistic nylon vented pants.
We heard you the first time Randy!! :):):)

I think that it is worth trying lots of things until you find what works for you. Butt when I tried bike shorts they just prevented air flow and kept moisture next to my skin and on long days in the saddle that was problematic. :bluduh

Do these things breathe? Wearing plastic shorts seems like not a good thing. I think my skin rejects anything that's flammable.

Long-legged polypropylene briefs work for me. The seams which cause a lot of the problems on regular briefs are situated about mid thigh, instead of near the groin area. No clammy feeling, and they wick moisture away from the body, in case you're a moist person.

Woodgrain

Back