Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bicycle shorts

Firefighter Randy

Bicycle shorts in place of underwear

Don't try bike shorts under jeans unless you have suspenders on. I made that
    mistake at the Biltmore house tour and couldn't keep my pants up! The slick
    material had almost no friction. Works great under ballistic nylon vented pants.

Firefighter Randy

Talking Bicycle shorts in place of underwear

material had almost no friction. Works great under ballistic nylon vented pants.

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by RNowell View Post
    We heard you the first time Randy!!

I think that it is worth trying lots of things until you find what works for you. Butt when I tried bike shorts they just prevented air flow and kept moisture next to my skin and on long days in the saddle that was problematic.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Do these things breathe? Wearing plastic shorts seems like not a good thing. I think my skin rejects anything that's flammable.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Long-legged polypropylene briefs work for me. The seams which cause a lot of the problems on regular briefs are situated about mid thigh, instead of near the groin area. No clammy feeling, and they wick moisture away from the body, in case you're a moist person.

Woodgrain

Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post

I think that it is worth trying lots of things until you find what works for you. Butt when I tried bike shorts they just prevented air flow and kept moisture next to my skin and on long days in the saddle that was problematic.
    Ahah! Just as I thought...
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by woodgrain View Post
    Long-legged polypropylene briefs work for me. The seams which cause a lot of the problems on regular briefs are situated about mid thigh, instead of near the groin area. No clammy feeling, and they wick moisture away from the body, in case you're a moist person.

Woodgrain
    See that's the thing. I'm a very moist person. Pores everywhere and I have always felt like I was in a rubber bag with anything but cotton...socks, anything.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post

That's hard to understand. Most brands are "moisture wicking." Might want to try the short "liners" Maropolo was talking about. They are much thinner. I dislike the "chamois" crotch for the very reason you describe, though. (Then again, my cheap ones don't have "chamois" like real, expensive, bicycle shorts. Some synthetic substitute.)

bicycle shorts

There are many brands of bicycle shorts and undershorts out there, but cycling is an aerobic activity, so the clothing has to breathe and wick, and do both well. I just completed an 80 km ride on my Lemond road bike wearing cycling stuff, and at the end I was totally dry. But if you wear a cotton base layer on your motorcycle in hot weather, you're going to get damp, because it doesn't wick, even though it breathes.

Cycling base layers are a great aid to touring comfort, at a minimal price.

Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Do these things breathe? Wearing plastic shorts seems like not a good thing. I think my skin rejects anything that's flammable.

What Rinty said:
    They aren't plastic. They're designed to breath well. The "padding" - the chamois - in the crotch serves two purposes: to offer some padding between the sensitive bits and seat, and to manage moisture.