• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway

Have you ever ridden the BRP?

• No, never

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Once

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • A few times

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Often or annually

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

MarkF

Hi all,

I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway once and it was the experience of a lifetime. I know there are better roads throughout the Smokey Mountains and northern Georgia but the Park Service has made the BRP something special.

I'm sure we all have our favorite parts of the BRP. The first 50 or so miles, south of Skyline Drive are very beautiful and restfull. A great intro before the breathtaking overlooks and killer curves. The tunnels approaching MM 400 are also very awesome. Please tell us about your favorites.

Riding the BRP is great fun and the Georgia Moutain Rally is a great destination for no other reason than to ride the BRP. I know some of my Canadian friends ride the BRP every Easter. Are there any other groups, formal or informal, that make the BRP an annual event?

MarkF:clap

Last edited:
See that single "No, never" vote up there?

Well, that was my vote. Sooner or later, I'll get down there.

I've heard so much about roads like the BPR and the Kancamagus highway between Lincoln and North Conway, I'm curious how they compare. I hope to do the Kanc this summer.

Global Rider said:
See that single "No, never" vote up there?

Well, that was my vote. Sooner or later, I'll get down there.

I've heard so much about roads like the BPR and the Kancamagus highway between Lincoln and North Conway, I'm curious how they compare. I hope to do the Kanc this summer.

Well, then.

This might keep you busy for a while. So far, the roads I've ridden on that list are described with absolute accuracy.

California Motorcycle Roads

Oh - I've ridden the BRP and it rocks. Just try and go before the tourists and :cop come out.

:bliss

KBasa said:
Well, then.

This might keep you busy for a while.
California Motorcycle Roads
Oh - I've ridden the BRP and it rocks. Just try and go before the tourists and :cop come out.

Great web site!:bliss I had a look at the Alpine Road one because it caught my attention first. Nice relaxing roads, free of traffic, I hope. I will be busy for a while. Now bookmarked!

So when is the best time to ride the BRP free of vacationers, RVs and doughnut kings?

0116.jpg

Last edited:
re: BRP?

There's a Japanese saying that I think sums up the BRP:

"A wise man climbs Fuji. A fool climbs it twice."

I'm like Sammy Hagar: I can't drive (45). :uhoh

mully

I enjoy both roads but like the BRP best in the east. It is longer. I try not to run on it during the weekends though. To many cars. I fine the side roads even better. It has been a few years since the last time IÔÇÖve enjoyed it since I am now on the left coast. I remember a great road going west past a couple of trout farms to a small town with a gas station. Also the road by Little Switzerland is fun. I have done others including one under the long bridge and up to the mountain. I never had any problems with the rangers but I know they pull people over. And no I donÔÇÖt go 45. Great camping along it too.

after sampling the rockies for a dozen years i moved right with every intention of frequently riding the BRP, which i still do but without the frequency i originally thought. The first time i went, daniel boone rally two years ago, it was mid fall and we were lucky enough to find a clueless cager doing 70ish. We slowed after about twenty miles of this incredible fun as we watched the cager slam on his brakes half way round a turn. the ranger he was slowing for pulled him over, and i assume issued the remiative ticket, wow they really seem to be doing the job, keep it up guys.sic. everytime i have returned since i am very wary of excessive speed, them rangers give federal tickets, you can bet the insurance company and (insert your home state) WILL find out about that ticket. What i have found to be much more fun, and potentially far less expensive, is to crisscross the parkway on the sideroads, lots of elevation change, fixes my Colorado withdrawls, great roads, and far far less policing. One area i have seen a massive state patrol presence is in the area of Boone, Nc. both on the parkway and around the perimeter of town-fun roads coming in from nearly all directions, 421 is lame but i said nearly all directions. The crisscross path will not get you anywhere quicky, or even slowly but hey are you really intrested in a destination?

matt

heading to BRP tommorrow

Heading out tommorrow for cherokee, NC, to meet BMW/RT group for weekend of fun. I live in NC so get to ride parkway often, the nice thing is it never the same, always something memorable to bring back from a ride :clap
There is suppose to be 10-12 inches of snow in the higher elevations today and tonight, butshould clear up by mid day tommorrow with temps in the 40-50 deg range planning on riding from cherokee to boone on sunday on the parkway then home to Durham

I get to ride the BRP fairly often as I live not too far from it. The Parkway, from Buchanan, VA to Boone, NC is accessible to me for day trips -- which are best done on week days. One thing to note on your next trip is the curves. Note that there is not one single decreasing radius curve on the entire Parkway. It was designed that way.
One of my most memorable trips was a couple of years ago during the second week in March. Did the Parkway and Skyline Drive from Fancy Gap to the north end of the Skyline Drive. I didn't see one single motorcycle and very few cars. Since the leaves aren't on the trees yet, the views are great! The down side is that the facilities aren't open at that time of year.

Weeble said:
One of my most memorable trips was a couple of years ago during the second week in March. The down side is that the facilities aren't open at that time of year.

One of my most memorable rides was arriving at the north end of Skyline Dr. after 9pm around May 1st then weaving my way thru a deer herd for 50 miles to the first open campground. I was terrified to start but after about an hour I felt like a cowboy who traded a horse for a BMW and my cattle for deer.

MarkF

rode up there yesterday, didnt do much on the brp but cross it a couple times but 226/226A out of little switz is an exceptionally fun road, as is nc 80, 80 still had some gravel on the eastern decent offf the parkway but otherwise all is clear.

this is 226A

Attachments

• pic00034.jpg
    pic00034.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 99
Back