• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R question

D

DanGreene

Anyone had the tank off their R1200R yet? I am getting ready to install a Wilbers suspension front and rear and after looking quickly at the tank, it appears that the black plastic cowling/finish piece on the front of the tank will not have to come off. Any tips or ideas about the removal? Thanks.

Dan,
I removed the tank on Gf's bro-in-laws bike to install motolites a while back. I have removed so many R1150R's lately I am going back in memory bank. Def had QR on the lines and unplug the fuelpump connector on right side. there are vent lines as you lift the tank up slightly, I remember them toward the front of tank maybe?just slip one side off,leaving plastic from one side and the hose on the other so you know which one goes where...if that is clear...if not the ends look the same!!
I took all torx screws off of black guard anyway I believe to give me somewhere to grab the tank as I lifted it off. I believe it still has the single bolt at rear holding it in place... a def plus on the new R is the battery is VISIBLE finally!

Dan,
I removed the tank on Gf's bro-in-laws bike to install motolites a while back. I have removed so many R1150R's lately I am going back in memory bank.
Henzilla..

Are we talking R1150R or R1200R tanks here? I'm confused..

It appears from: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0398&mospid=49569&btnr=16_0648&hg=16&fg=03 that not removing the plastic bit on the front of the tank would make it impossible to get past the two front mounting points.

I see no mention of fuel line quick disconnects in REALOEM.COM on the R1200R, figured BMW finally wised up..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0398&mospid=49569&hg=16&fg=05

And specifically:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0398&mospid=49569&btnr=16_0650&hg=16&fg=05

Specifically in the one above - lots of references to #9 - which is hose clamps, and no sign of quick-disconnects shown.

Inquiring mind is still inquiring.. :D

You two are a lot smarter than me, but I think I follow. In thinking some more about this, it may be that I don't have to completely remove the tank, but just slide it rearward enough to access the top of the front shock. Thanks for the help.

Henzilla..

Are we talking R1150R or R1200R tanks here? I'm confused..

Inquiring mind is still inquiring.. :D

I was referring to the original question about the 1200R, I did this right before Branson Blitz on that bike, but have three of the 1150's I have taken tanks off of for various reasons.
I still recall QR's on the tank on the new 1200, he had a 1/2 tank of fuel and it was not an issue, the vent hoses which are at the rear on the 1150's are in the front on the 1200. I removed all the plastic on front of tank to remove the tank. seemed like you could not get tank off without doing that.
Once again this is by memory of a month or so...so I think it is as I did it. the tank is way easier to remove on the 1200 vs. the 1150.

on the last drawing it talks about 2- connecting sleeves...are those maybe the QR's? and isn't all that hardware on that page inside the tank? :dunno

I got ambitious, went to the garage, took off the plastic on the front of the tank and looked. On the left side of the bike - way back by the rear of the tank, I can see what looks like a quick disconnect (yuck!) - a plastic one (yuck!!) So I suspect you're right.

Edit: after looking at REALOEM again - you're right. 11 & 12 in: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0398&mospid=49569&btnr=16_0650&hg=16&fg=05 are the quick disconnects. The male portion is a 90 degree one. Bummer.

What's interesting is there is also what looks like enough room on that side of the tank, next to the fuel pump, to tuck away a fuel filter. If the filter is inside my tank, after the first change - it won't be.. looks like several inches of room there, I suspect probably due to the simpler/smaller ABS unit that also hides under the tank.

What I couldn't find - how is the rear of the tank held down? There is a small screw on each side which fastens the side plastic on the bike on.. but can't see what holds the rear of the tank down. Anyone BTDT?

The 1200 tank is held secure by only one bolt on the left rear. Thanks for the suggestions. When you took the front plastic finish piece off, did it looks as if I can access the top of the front shock simply by sliding the tank backward a little?

The 1200 tank is held secure by only one bolt on the left rear. Thanks for the suggestions. When you took the front plastic finish piece off, did it looks as if I can access the top of the front shock simply by sliding the tank backward a little?
Have to look for that one - is it under something like the side plastic on the bike?

If I had to guess - you probably can access the shock bolt by sliding it to the rear, but if it's that far off - it's only a few quick disconnects (ugh!) and the electrical connection to the tank to take the whole thing off. That's a guess based on doing the same thing on my R1150RS..

Yes, the bolt is on the left side under the black plastic finish piece. Thanks.

Back