• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trouble Shooting Help Please!

LCampbell

I have a 99 R1100RT with 58000 miles on it. The problem I'm having comes & goes. As I am riding along the bike will be running smoothly & then start to run rough (rough might not be the right word "Buzzy describes it better)that is the vibration thru the bars increases & the mirrors get blurry. If I feel the valve cover when it's doing this the left side seems to be vibrating more than the right side.
I have replaced the plugs, checked the valve adjustment & resynched the throttle bodies & it still does it.
The left plug wire resistance using a digital multimeter is 5.80 K ohms. The right plug wire is 6.01 K ohms (The info on the plug wires says they should be 1.0 K ohms)
On the coil I get 0.6 ohms across the green / black connectors & 07.16 K ohms across the high tension leads. Am I checking this properly?
To me it looks like I need 2 new plug wires & a coil (My Haynes manual indicates that the secondary winding resistance should be 13 K ohms) Are the secondary windings the same as the high tension leads?
Is there anything else I should check? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On the coil I get 0.6 ohms across the green / black connectors & 07.16 K ohms across the high tension leads. Am I checking this properly?
To me it looks like I need 2 new plug wires & a coil (My Haynes manual indicates that the secondary winding resistance should be 13 K ohms) Are the secondary windings the same as the high tension leads?
Your coil is good. The Haynes is wrong.

Thanks for the update. I talked to a very helpful guy yesterday at the Beemer Boneyard after I made the first post & he told me the same think. He said that I should check out the throttlebodies & also do my off idle sync at a higher rpm

If you have a TwinMax you can tape it to your gas cap and hook it up. Then go for a ride and watch the balance when the vibration occurrs. Bring along a 10mm box wrench and adjust the right side cable adjuster until you get the balance equal at the RPMs that is causing you trouble. It may take 2 or 3 tries to get it right.

Back