Thread: When is it "time" for valve adjustment?

Exclamation When is it "time" for valve adjustment?

Hi fellow F650 enthusiasts . . .

I bought mine last year with 2400 miles - a '03 GS - Now has 6200 miles.

Is it time to have the valves adjusted? I notice when de-accellerating, I do get a slight popping sound here and there but only after a long ride.

I live in MN and could take it to the BMW dealer unless someone knows of an independent BMW mechanic who knows the rotax and is good.

Looked at the video on Utube on how to adjust the valves and it looks like more than I am up for.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Don't forget your towel
    The F650 is on a 6K maintenance schedule, so yes, it is time to check your valve clearances and change the oil.

You've seen the video, now surf on over to f650.com and introduce yourself. Then take a long look through the technical FAQs for more information than you'll know what to do with.

FWIW, checking the valves for clearance is relatively easy and you might find they are just fine. Changing shims is a bit more work (the hardest part for me was the math) but the Chain Gang distributes a very nice DVD set that when used in conjunction with the FAQS will get you through just about any evolution. (A tip of the hat to Flash for all the work he did on both those enterprises)
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Valve check/adjust

I have an '03 Dakar that I bought used with about 4,300 miles on it. I checked the valves at 6,000 miles to get a baseline for the future. Lo and behold all four shims needed replacing. One size thinner. I can't find a record noting if they were checked at the 600 mile service.

The good thing with an '03 is that the shims are over the bucket and not under the bucket. What's that mean....well if you have more dexterity them me, you would be able to change the shims without removing the cams.

I find it harder and more time consuming to get everything removed from above the valve cover, than it is to check/change the shims.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Hi fellow F650 enthusiasts . . .

I bought mine last year with 2400 miles - a '03 GS - Now has 6200 miles.

Is it time to have the valves adjusted? I notice when de-accellerating, I do get a slight popping sound here and there but only after a long ride.

I live in MN and could take it to the BMW dealer unless someone knows of an independent BMW mechanic who knows the rotax and is good.

Looked at the video on Utube on how to adjust the valves and it looks like more than I am up for.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
    Where in MN? In Minneapolis there is Roy's Repair (Lew) is actually the owner. They do Dyno and have worked on my 85 Kbike so I don't think he would have a problem with valves.

Good luck.