Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mesh Jacket

ggfossen
    A quick up-date. I just learned that the First Gear Kilimanjaro Air is out of print. Now, I have a First Gear Mesh-tech 3 coming in for a try. Sooner or later, I will find one that works.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ggfossen View Post
    A quick up-date. I just learned that the First Gear Kilimanjaro Air is out of print. Now, I have a First Gear Mesh-tech 3 coming in for a try. Sooner or later, I will find one that works.

Gary
    I love my Mesh-Tech 3. I wear it without the liner. On cooler mornings (55-70) I will put on a fleece vest under it. I found the liner did not breath nice.

Cheers!

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I'm 6', 230#, 30" inseam, size 48/50 suit size.

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket, and I think it's a great value for the price. I paid $150 for it, no tax, no shipping, from Bob's Cycle Supply in Minnesota.

I don't have a hang-up about ordering online and returning things if they don't fit or work out, so I wasn't worried about ordering the jacket without trying it on. Luckily, the 2XL fit just fine - and it's nice and cool on those 80 degree + days. It also includes a waterproof liner you can keep in the tank bag in case you get caught out in the rain.

It has a couple of neat little features - like an iPod/MP3 player pocket with a little hole for the headphone cord, an "extra face shield" pocket that is great for an extra pair of sunglasses, a wallet, a cell phone, etc., and a key clip for house keys/etc. inside the jacket.

All in all, a nice jacket with lots of features for $150.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

ggfossen
    I haven't tried the Joe Rocket stuff. I probably should. My problem has been finding a good supply of mesh stuff around here. I don't have a hang up about ordering on line, but the bouncing back and forth gets to be a pain. 50 mile turnaround, and then the added expense and time turns me off. I think this incoming First Gear might do the trick, and I would rather direct my business towards the local beemer shop, anyway. They are good, and want them to stay around.

GAry

On the Road

Thumbs up Mesh Jacket

I have two First Gear mesh jackets which I love. They are nice and cool and the fit is great for me. The price of the jackets are about $100.00 to $129.00.
    CW

ggfossen

Cw

To date, I've read many good comments about First Gear, and no bad. The beemer shop should have the Mesh-tech 3 in for a try in a day or two. If it works, I will buy it there. They lean towards retail prices, but they have been absolutely excellent in their efforts to please. I have not had that with any of the other bikey shops in the area. That's important to me.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ggfossen View Post
    To date, I've read many good comments about First Gear, and no bad. The beemer shop should have the Mesh-tech 3 in for a try in a day or two. If it works, I will buy it there. They lean towards retail prices, but they have been absolutely excellent in their efforts to please. I have not had that with any of the other bikey shops in the area. That's important to me.

Gary
    Also try their Control Mesh ($139.95). I just purchased one from my dealer after comparing it to BMW's comparable mesh jacket at $450!!! The BMW logo was not worth the extra $310. It is comfortable at speed to about 95-100 degrees (dry heat). But adequate hydration is still the key. Be cool!
    Steve Sylvester
    Paso Robles, Ca

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Camelback

Dear Friends....................get a decent Camelback hydration system.....I've got a 2 liter system that is awesome in summer heat. Pack 1/2 way with ice, remainder water....good for HOURS!!!!
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Fronk" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

Rally Rat
    I went down in May with my Vanson mesh jacket on. I think it is the Breeze model. Anyway, aside from the broken right leg (I had on jeans and no armor on the legs) the jacket saved my skin except where the road final wore through and left a two sq. in. abrasion on my right arm. The jacket had shoulder and elbow armor and it was a hot day on my 83 R100RT. My HJC helmet also saved my coconut as I slid for ten feet or so on my head. My next purchase will be some good armored pants and a new helmet. Only one hit per helmet! The Vanson jacket is comfortable and I stay cool for the ride. I learned a lesson. People lets get safe.

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ
    While I'm pretty happy with my Rocket Phoenix 4.0 and the older leather sleeved Reactor jackets....have you tried, gulp, long sleeve synthetic tees under a mesh jacket.

I've found that keeping the sun off the skin is a bit of a help. And by synthetic, I mean the type of fibers that wick moisture away from your body...any good outdoor catalog (Cabela, Bean, Campmor) and, of course!! - Rider Warehouse all have several to choose from.

Me? I want a bike powered air conditioned suit and lid. But then, no one asked me...

Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0

I can now attest as to the comfort of the Phoenix 4.0 with temps in the mid-90's here in Seattle.

+1 on wearing a polypro/capeline longsleeved shirt under a mesh jacket - especially if you're going to be riding for an extended length of time.

I like Patagonia stuff (their proprietary name is "capeline") because it's made from recycled plastics, but that's just the crazy liberal tree hugger in me rearing it's ugly head.

Wear whatever you want under your mesh armor, as long as you're wearing armor.

Don't be a squid in hot weather. Besides, the t-shirt looks so tacky when the slipstream blows the hem of the t-shirt up to your shoulder blades. We don't want to see your sunburned hairy back when we're out enjoying the scenery!

Also, remember you're going to get dehydrated mighty fast with all that evaporative cooling working on your skin's surface. Drink a quart an hour if you're riding in hot weather. So what if you have to pee? A minor inconvenience for staying cool and hydrated. The rule of thumb is to drink water until your pee is clear. If you drink lots of water, your body will have an easier time of staying cool naturally as the moisture evaporates from the surface of your skin.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Let me chime in to be careful about hydration. As with just about everything in life, moderation is the word. Over hydration can actually be more life threatening than dehydration. There are cases of marathoners who overhydrated and actually went into a coma.
    What happens is you dilute your blood sodium and water now wants to get inside cells. In the brain this is especially dangerous.
    Please be careful how much you drink in a short time period (and I apologize if this sounds like a sermon).

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
    Let me chime in to be careful about hydration. As with just about everything in life, moderation is the word. Over hydration can actually be more life threatening than dehydration. There are cases of marathoners who overhydrated and actually went into a coma.
    What happens is you dilute your blood sodium and water now wants to get inside cells. In the brain this is especially dangerous.
    Please be careful how much you drink in a short time period (and I apologize if this sounds like a sermon).
    While not dismissing warnings about over-hydration, far more people are under-hydrated than over-hydrated. Obviously if your pee is clear and you don't feel parched, you don't need to guzzle a bunch more water. But if you're riding in hot weather, you will rapidly evaporate a lot of your body's water through your skin. This effect is exacerbated by wearing mesh clothing. That's the whole reason mesh clothing works - it allows your skin to serve as an evaporative cooling system.

Sure - I'll agree with advice to not drown yourself, but far more people become disoriented, weak and suffer more serious health consequences from not drinking enough fluids as compared with those who consume too much (and we're not talking about beer, whiskey, gin, coffee, or anything else that actually contributes to dehydration.)
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

If you're wearing a mesh jacket in temps over 90F, I strongly recommend a gel water cooling vest under the jacket (see Forestry Suppliers model at http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...e.asp?mi=3471).

Costs less than $25 (less than $20 bucks if you order five or more) and it'll keep your upper torso cool for at least 1.5 hours on the bike at speed, really. Works so well I ordered a second one from them.

And, of course, a Camel Back for internal hydration.

Look at www.motoport.com before you buy. I have tried on all the suits mentioned in this thread and thought Motoport was the best.The Motoport with liners is a genuine "one suit for all conditions", especially hot conditions.The safety of a Motoport suit beats all other mesh suits.