• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Zumo 400

H

handsome

A friend recently lent me his Garmin StreetPilot GPS unit and I am now hooked. Much like cell phones, I had absolutely no interest in GPS until I actually used one, now I wonder why I didn't use one sooner.

The StreetPilot is in my price range, but it is not designed for motorcycle usage. I like the Zumo, but it seems a bit pricey. The cheapest model, the 450, I've seen from $6-7 hundred. Garmin advertises a 400 model, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know who this is available through, if it is available in the U.S. at all?

Further more, if anyone has or knows how to safely mount and weatherproof a StreetPilot unit (R1100RT, K75C) that would be great as well. I am familiar with RAM mounts, but a sort of weatherproof case would be nice as that is my biggest concern.

Any suggestions? :dunno

It is a European model.
This is from the Garmin site:
What's in the Box :
zūmo 400
Preloaded City Navigator?« NT for one European region
Motorcycle mount with mounting hardware
Motorcycle power cable
USB cable
Security screwdriver
Quick reference guide

Cheapest I've seen for a Zumo 450 is $511.80 at PC Nation https://www.pcnation.com/web/index.asp\
Includes free Fedex ground shipping. It's water proof so that should cover that issue. I just got my Zumo 550 from them and paid $688 with free shipping. Arrived in two days.
You might also consider the Garmin 276C which they sell for $453 . It's waterproof and has come down in price.

I'm pretty sure you can get a 550 for about $700--give or take. About $200 less for the 450, as the other post mentioned.

I strongly considered both and decided to go with the 550. It comes with the car kit, which is about $100 by itself. In addition, you can add XM radio, navtraffic, and weather to the 550. I didn't think I wanted any of that, but I now have all of it and it's pretty darn cool. Give it some thought.

376c seems to be the other strong contender. Upside, it comes with the XM antenna ($300!); downside, it has limited memory.

Good luck with your decision. All I can tell you is that I dig my 550.

There is now an all black BMW programmed version of the Zumo. Costs a grand from your Beemer dealer.

Fred

Back