Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Hex head won't run

  1. #1

    Hex head won't run

    10 days ago I rode my 06 RT (bought in Mar of this year, new) to work (I'm a daily rider). When I went out at the end of the day, I hit the starter button and the engine turned over but wouldn't start. I had the bike towed in the next day to the dealer it started right away and they found no troubles or codes to tell them why it happened. I picked up the bike yesterday evening and within a mile it quit and wouldn't start. As they came to pick it up, it did the same thing, just turned over. The tech turned it off and when he turned it back on after about a 10 second try the engine fired up. They have it at the shop. SO MY QUESTION IS... Has any one else heard of this problem, the dealer sez they can't find any record of this through BMW.

    What's on your oddmeter?

    Tom Casey
    06 (broke R12RT)
    75 (R75/6)

    6/14/07 14:00 EST
    Dealer called and I was informed that BMW NA wants them to install a new wiring harness and a sensor. There are no harnesses in the US. My question is how long should I give the dealer to get a harness before I ask them to take it off one of their bikes on the showroom floor (NO they didn't offer to do that first). The dealer did say the bike won't start for him this morning either.

    93 R100RT 67K miles only oil leaks
    00 R1100RT 92K miles only a seal leak
    06 R1200RT 3.5K Dead in the water
    Last edited by blkb1rd; 06-14-2007 at 06:48 PM.

  2. #2
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKB1RD View Post
    6/14/07 14:00 EST
    Dealer called and I was informed that BMW NA wants them to install a new wiring harness and a sensor. There are no harnesses in the US. My question is how long should I give the dealer to get a harness before I ask them to take it off one of their bikes on the showroom floor (NO they didn't offer to do that first). The dealer did say the bike won't start for him this morning either.

    93 R100RT 67K miles only oil leaks
    00 R1100RT 92K miles only a seal leak
    06 R1200RT 3.5K Dead in the water
    So this is the EWS sensor at the ignition key. Then there is a four conductor cable going to the BMSK engine management computer. Is that the wiring? I would guess it is just the sensor they need. Maybe they are to replace the wiring connector just to be sure.
    I'm wondering because I'm curious as to what the symptoms are if the EWS fails. I guess the starter turns, but the bike won't start?
    As far as time to wait for a new bike, only BMWNA can authorize that. If this is the EWS failed, I don't think they will want to replace the whole bike.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  3. #3
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,554
    Chuck,

    Given the symptoms - I'd guess EWS problem, although when I read about one other report on this sort of problem - there was an error display on the instrument cluster that indicated an EWS problem. When there are EWS problems on BMW cars (and this is extremely rare actually..) - same thing - it cranks but the EWS won't enable the injection and ignition.

    I didn't see any mention by Tom of looking for a new bike out of BMW - but he did mention getting them to take a harness off a showroom bike, something I know BMW doesn't like to do at all, but some of the better dealers will do it for a good customer.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  4. #4
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Chuck,

    Given the symptoms - I'd guess EWS problem, although when I read about one other report on this sort of problem - there was an error display on the instrument cluster that indicated an EWS problem. When there are EWS problems on BMW cars (and this is extremely rare actually..) - same thing - it cranks but the EWS won't enable the injection and ignition.

    I didn't see any mention by Tom of looking for a new bike out of BMW - but he did mention getting them to take a harness off a showroom bike, something I know BMW doesn't like to do at all, but some of the better dealers will do it for a good customer.
    OH. I misread that. Yes dealers can take parts off of showroom bikes and BMW will pay for the repair including the off and on time of the showroom bike. I think since they don't have the part available for the dealer.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  5. #5
    billy1200
    Guest
    I had the EWS problem on my '07 RT after 75 miles. When it happened, there was a giant "EWS" on the display and the engine wouldn't turn over. Nada. Zilch....That was a real bummer but no trouble since then.

  6. #6
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by billy1200 View Post
    I had the EWS problem on my '07 RT after 75 miles. When it happened, there was a giant "EWS" on the display and the engine wouldn't turn over. Nada. Zilch....That was a real bummer but no trouble since then.
    So the starter motor wouldn't even run to turn the engine over?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  7. #7
    billy1200
    Guest
    That's right. Turn the key on, go through the initial checks. Try to press the start button if you want or just wait (yes, in neutral or in 1st with clutch pulled and sidestand up). Nothing. After the initial checks, "EWS" fills the display. Tried the nylon key. Tried backing it into driveway thinking something in garage was interfering with the sensor (only 75 miles, remember?). I tried this and more at least 20 times. I was afraid I would have to charge the battery. San Jose BMW had it fixed in one day (had to replace the antennae ring (?) if memory serves). Of course, the problem I had may be different from yours.

    While disappointed with the failure, I'm happy that it just said " 'EWS!', I'm not going anywhere!" rather than run the battery down many times faster by turning the motor....

    The most harrowing part of the experience was following my $18,000 bike on a flatbed praying that it wouldn't fall over.

    ...This may be the topic for another thread, but the tow truck driver said that was the most difficult motorcycle transport he had ever done (and I had removed the sidebags, of course). The main problem was finding something to grab onto on the rear of the bike....

    - Dave
    Last edited by billy1200; 06-17-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: info added

  8. #8

    Hex head won't run

    More info: When checked out the the first time (about two weeks ago) the shop found an "older" code error about the crankshaft and they checked that out, finding no problem. BMW told them the replace that sensor (this second go round). I had no lights or notes on the instrument display indicating any problems. The starter would turn the engine over BUT the engine would not start. I have to go into town tomorrow and I'll stop by the dealer (the dealer is 45 miles from the house), to see how it's going.


    Whats on your oddmeter?


    Tom Casey

    1975 R75/6 (soon to be GM yellow)
    2006 R12RT (sitting in the shop)

  9. #9
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    452
    A fellow in Ireland had a similar issue, turned out to be a corroded fuel pump modulator. But his recorded error codes.

    More here - http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...e/1#Post873641

  10. #10
    bored, bored ... dlowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Snow Country, ON, Canada
    Posts
    456
    I could be completely wrong here, but isn't the EWS part of the ignition immobiliser? I've been told if the chip in the key is scrambled some how, the bike will not start. Have you tried both keys?

  11. #11
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
    I could be completely wrong here, but isn't the EWS part of the ignition immobiliser? I've been told if the chip in the key is scrambled some how, the bike will not start. Have you tried both keys?
    You're right, but there have been zero scrambled keys that I know of. There have been a number of bad EWS sensors.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •