• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hex head won't run

blkb1rd

10 days ago I rode my 06 RT (bought in Mar of this year, new) to work (I'm a daily rider). When I went out at the end of the day, I hit the starter button and the engine turned over but wouldn't start. I had the bike towed in the next day to the dealer it started right away and they found no troubles or codes to tell them why it happened. I picked up the bike yesterday evening and within a mile it quit and wouldn't start. As they came to pick it up, it did the same thing, just turned over. The tech turned it off and when he turned it back on after about a 10 second try the engine fired up. They have it at the shop. SO MY QUESTION IS... Has any one else heard of this problem, the dealer sez they can't find any record of this through BMW.

What's on your oddmeter?

Tom Casey
06 (broke R12RT)
75 (R75/6)

6/14/07 14:00 EST
Dealer called and I was informed that BMW NA wants them to install a new wiring harness and a sensor. There are no harnesses in the US. My question is how long should I give the dealer to get a harness before I ask them to take it off one of their bikes on the showroom floor (NO they didn't offer to do that first). The dealer did say the bike won't start for him this morning either.

93 R100RT 67K miles only oil leaks
00 R1100RT 92K miles only a seal leak
06 R1200RT 3.5K Dead in the water

Last edited:
6/14/07 14:00 EST
Dealer called and I was informed that BMW NA wants them to install a new wiring harness and a sensor. There are no harnesses in the US. My question is how long should I give the dealer to get a harness before I ask them to take it off one of their bikes on the showroom floor (NO they didn't offer to do that first). The dealer did say the bike won't start for him this morning either.

93 R100RT 67K miles only oil leaks
00 R1100RT 92K miles only a seal leak
06 R1200RT 3.5K Dead in the water

So this is the EWS sensor at the ignition key. Then there is a four conductor cable going to the BMSK engine management computer. Is that the wiring? I would guess it is just the sensor they need. Maybe they are to replace the wiring connector just to be sure.
I'm wondering because I'm curious as to what the symptoms are if the EWS fails. I guess the starter turns, but the bike won't start?
As far as time to wait for a new bike, only BMWNA can authorize that. If this is the EWS failed, I don't think they will want to replace the whole bike.

Chuck,

Given the symptoms - I'd guess EWS problem, although when I read about one other report on this sort of problem - there was an error display on the instrument cluster that indicated an EWS problem. When there are EWS problems on BMW cars (and this is extremely rare actually..) - same thing - it cranks but the EWS won't enable the injection and ignition.

I didn't see any mention by Tom of looking for a new bike out of BMW - but he did mention getting them to take a harness off a showroom bike, something I know BMW doesn't like to do at all, but some of the better dealers will do it for a good customer.

Chuck,

Given the symptoms - I'd guess EWS problem, although when I read about one other report on this sort of problem - there was an error display on the instrument cluster that indicated an EWS problem. When there are EWS problems on BMW cars (and this is extremely rare actually..) - same thing - it cranks but the EWS won't enable the injection and ignition.

I didn't see any mention by Tom of looking for a new bike out of BMW - but he did mention getting them to take a harness off a showroom bike, something I know BMW doesn't like to do at all, but some of the better dealers will do it for a good customer.

OH. I misread that. Yes dealers can take parts off of showroom bikes and BMW will pay for the repair including the off and on time of the showroom bike. I think since they don't have the part available for the dealer.

I had the EWS problem on my '07 RT after 75 miles. When it happened, there was a giant "EWS" on the display and the engine wouldn't turn over. Nada. Zilch....That was a real bummer but no trouble since then.

I had the EWS problem on my '07 RT after 75 miles. When it happened, there was a giant "EWS" on the display and the engine wouldn't turn over. Nada. Zilch....That was a real bummer but no trouble since then.

So the starter motor wouldn't even run to turn the engine over?

That's right. Turn the key on, go through the initial checks. Try to press the start button if you want or just wait (yes, in neutral or in 1st with clutch pulled and sidestand up). Nothing. After the initial checks, "EWS" fills the display. Tried the nylon key. Tried backing it into driveway thinking something in garage was interfering with the sensor (only 75 miles, remember?). I tried this and more at least 20 times. I was afraid I would have to charge the battery. San Jose BMW had it fixed in one day (had to replace the antennae ring (?) if memory serves). Of course, the problem I had may be different from yours.

While disappointed with the failure, I'm happy that it just said " 'EWS!', I'm not going anywhere!" rather than run the battery down many times faster by turning the motor....

The most harrowing part of the experience was following my $18,000 bike on a flatbed praying that it wouldn't fall over.

...This may be the topic for another thread, but the tow truck driver said that was the most difficult motorcycle transport he had ever done (and I had removed the sidebags, of course). The main problem was finding something to grab onto on the rear of the bike....

- Dave

Last edited:
More info: When checked out the the first time (about two weeks ago) the shop found an "older" code error about the crankshaft and they checked that out, finding no problem. BMW told them the replace that sensor (this second go round). I had no lights or notes on the instrument display indicating any problems. The starter would turn the engine over BUT the engine would not start. I have to go into town tomorrow and I'll stop by the dealer (the dealer is 45 miles from the house), to see how it's going.

Whats on your oddmeter?

Tom Casey

1975 R75/6 (soon to be GM yellow)
2006 R12RT (sitting in the shop)

I could be completely wrong here, but isn't the EWS part of the ignition immobiliser? I've been told if the chip in the key is scrambled some how, the bike will not start. Have you tried both keys?

I could be completely wrong here, but isn't the EWS part of the ignition immobiliser? I've been told if the chip in the key is scrambled some how, the bike will not start. Have you tried both keys?

You're right, but there have been zero scrambled keys that I know of. There have been a number of bad EWS sensors.

Back