Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Left Leg Amputated! Electric shifter??? 2011 RT HELP Please

Left Leg Amputated! Electric shifter??? 2011 RT HELP Please

During a 105 day hospital stay from COVID-19 last year I had my left leg amputated below the knee. I want to keep my dream bike but my prosthetic leg does not fit under the shifter. Iíve researched and found electric shifters with push buttons on the handlebars but I canít find any R1200RTs online that have been fitted with one. Would the CANBUS system work with one? I joined BMWMOA just so I could ask this question. Iím aware of the Spyder and the maxi-scooter options. Thanks for any help?

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    So sorry you had to experience this. I have a good friend who also lost a leg and he was able to outfit his HD trike with a manual hand shifter much like the old four on the floor somehow. While I can't help answer your questions I can encourage you that anything is possible with enough will power. I am sure you will find a solution that works for you.

Just an idea, how about a ring-type attachment at the bottom?
    Bet these guys would have something for you - https://www.btw-trikers.org/

I've never tried fitting one. I've got to believe that you could power a shifter circuit directly off the battery and the Canbus would be none the wiser. Do you have a schematic for the shifter circuit you can post for us to get a look at?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

CANBUS should not have anything to do with it. I see no reason why an electric shift can't be installed, it might take some creativity to get it done
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I can't add to the shifter discussion but can suggest a couple of options above a scooter or Spyder. Did you consider a Yamaha FJR AE model with the semi-auto? It can be shifted entirely from the handlebar. Alternatively, a Goldwing or Africa Twin with the DSG?

Good luck with your search.
    2005 R1150 GSA Bumblebee

bluebeast,

I believe some of the sidecar companies have installed systems to accommodate a rider with a missing leg. The systems they use may transfer to being used on two wheels. Worth checking to see if they have something for you. DMC Sidecars (http://www.dmcsidecars.com) and Freedom Sidecars (http://www.freedomsidecars.com) are two good places to start. DMC will be at the rally in Great Falls. A sidecar outfit might be a good option for you; they are a hoot to ride.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Found this website that shows some BMW applications. https://www.kliktronic.co.uk/gallery/

Mert Lawwill (of On any Sunday fame) also has products for riders who have lost a hand or arm. He may know someone who works with leg amputees. https://mertlawwill.com/
    Gary White

Here’s an electric shifter:

https://disabledmotorcycleriders.com...h-of-a-button/

Looks simple enough to install, should work on just about any bike.
    Where to mount the up/down buttons on an RT?
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Here are the Electric Shifter Instructions

Thank you all very much for your kind words and suggestions. I researched the Pingel shifter. YouTube! Itís impressive.When the button is pressed it kills the signal to the coils for 90mls, removing the pressure on the gears. At the same time it tells the solenoid to push or pull with great speed, thus shifting without using the clutch or the lever. The shifting is much quicker than what we can do manually. You donít even have to back off the throttle!

Iíve attached the general instructions sheet and the wiring guide for you to look at. It gets power from the battery. The Ignition Kill leads are spliced onto the wires going to each coil. Does anyone see DANGER signs for doing that on the RT?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Different than what I imagined. I'd first suggest you contact Pingel and explain to them what you are up to. These systems look like they are intended for race bikes and I'm not sure you will get the results you are looking for trying to interrupt the fuel injection system. I could imagine using the shifter cylinder actuated with the switch and your bike's clutch/throttle however.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    ďIgnition interruptionĒ has been used for years on outboard engines. It gives that bit of ďpauseĒ to power to go from forward to reverse.
    Sounds like a possibility.
    Good luck
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The instructions say that they get spliced into the coil signal leads...

Is this intended for a points-type system, or a specific type of electronic ignition?

This should be answered by Pingel in detail, because the "coil signal" comes from the bike's computer, and 1) it may not be 12 volts, and 2) we don't know if the computer's signal can source (provide) enough current to the unit to trigger it and not damage the computer.

and 3) The duration of the coil signal ("On" time) varies with rpm/etc. as the computer continually readjusts everything while riding.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 06-19-2021 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added item 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    The instructions say that they get spliced into the coil signal leads...

Is this intended for a points-type system, or a specific type of electronic ignition?

This should be answered by Pingel in detail, because the "coil signal" comes from the bike's computer, and 1) it may not be 12 volts, and 2) we don't know if the computer's signal can source (provide) enough current to the unit to trigger it and not damage the computer.

and 3) The duration of the coil signal ("On" time) varies with rpm/etc. as the computer continually readjusts everything while riding.
    On their website they have specific kits with brackets designed for dozens of bikes.They have been making these for many years. Though most of their market is for HD they also work on KAW, SUZ, Buell, etc., many makes. YES, they are used on racing bikes. I started to mention that. On YT a guy rides his friendís GXR1400 (I think) showing how it shifts w/o backing off the throttle. He loved it and wanted one on his bike. He also said this would be great for people with disabilities. Remember, the power to the shifter unit comes directly from the battery, so it is powered by 12 volts. Many of the bikes that can use this have EFI, including the newer HDs. I would have to buy the Universal Kit which means I would have to fabricate a bracket to hold the Shifter Unit. They do have pics of some BMWs that have one mounted on them. It costs about $1000. Cheaper than switching to a Spyder. Iím going to call my local BMW dealer to ask if they have seen this or installed one before. The more I learn the more I think it will work. But please donít hesitate to ask important questions or point out helpful info. Your knowledge and input are respected and desired.

I saw a couple of the vids... Do they have a BMW 1200 kit? Didn't see it.
    I still believe that it is important to confirm what your bike's coil signal really is, and if that is compatible with the Pingle's requirements; I also believe that it is important to determine if your bike's computer can "drive" the Pingle (the coil signal) without self-destructing. Note that the stick coils are manufactured for your computer's signal, which is Not necessarily 12 volts. Coils and computers are not cheap.