Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: r1200rt rear brake caliper

Droptine1968

r1200rt rear brake caliper

Hi all, I have some uneven rear pad wear, and the wheel side pad is tapered. I figure it's that the caliper can't slide at all on the pins. So I want to take the caliper bracket off to clean and oil the pins. My Haynes manual says to draw the bracket off the caliper, but I can't get it budge. I've been trying to rig housing clamps around t he caliper with blocks of wood and try to get the bracket off with another clamp, but can't seem to get the clamps and the blocks to stay put and they slip off. I've tried prying it off with a thick screw driver, but I'm trying not put any pressure on the pistons. and there is so little to of the caliper to use for leverage. Is there supposed to be a little movement between the bracket and caliper. Any ideas?
    2005 R1200RT

Search ebay for a good used one. That seems to happen with the RT caliper - once solidly frozen up it doesn't appear there is any way aside from destruction to separate the bracket and caliper.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Search ebay for a good used one. That seems to happen with the RT caliper - once solidly frozen up it doesn't appear there is any way aside from destruction to separate the bracket and caliper.
    Seems the RT guys use a high pressure sprayer more and blow water past the little boots, washing any lube out Had an RT...I get it

Seriously though, the two that have been stuck were RT's...one I let soak in liquid wrench, the other was replaced from Ebay. Seems the metal rods and aluminum carrier had a serious galvanic corrosion issue going on.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

DennyPink
    Need a clarification please, rear brake slide pins, 2007 R1200RT. It appears once the brake pads are removed, the carrier piece is attached to the caliper via the black rubber bushings. Can I separate the pieces by just pulling them apart or is there more to it? Thanks!
    DP

Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    Need a clarification please, rear brake slide pins, 2007 R1200RT. It appears once the brake pads are removed, the carrier piece is attached to the caliper via the black rubber bushings. Can I separate the pieces by just pulling them apart or is there more to it? Thanks!
    DP
    Pulls apart. Lubricate lightly and reassemble.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

DennyPink
    Just the info I needed to proceed, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    Just the info I needed to proceed, thank you!

When you lubricate the pins, make sure to use a synthetic grease specified for brake calipers. I have been using Permatex Ultra Disc Bake Caliper Lube for a number of years with good results.

DennyPink
    Thank you toolpen, I don't have any grease like that, but I will tomorrow!

Pic

Does anyone have a picture of the pins in question on a 2011RT?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR1200RT View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the pins in question on a 2011RT?
    20160518_090754.jpg

not the best pic
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Can the caliper be disassembled and those pins be lubricated with caliper on the bike and without disconnecting brake lines?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR1200RT View Post
    Can the caliper be disassembled and those pins be lubricated with caliper on the bike and without disconnecting brake lines?
    You need to remove caliper off its mount, but lines stay in place just as you would to replace pads.
    Steve Henson

Pins don't get more than warm in most uses so any lube from oil to high temp grease will work. Its main use is to prevent pad dust/water corrosion of the pins. Should always be done at pad change. Use some coarse bronze wool or medium/fine sandpaper to clean up dirty pins

Rear pads are different thickness side to side so the thin side wears out faster.

Try any rust cutter if pins are truly frozen but sometimes they do corrode past further use. First time I had this happen to me was on a 72 Z car in upstate NY road salt. Ate a whole bunch of the caliper metal in addition to freezing it.

Lubing those pins have probably saved me a lot of issues. I frequently check my rear caliper to make certain it is not heating up from the caliper not releasing fully.
    Previously I had a very hot caliper and I learnt about the sticking pins here on the forum.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

DennyPink
    Over the years I have gotten into the habit of checking brake rotors and the rear drive for excessive heat. Lately I noticed my rear brake pads and rotor getting hot after easy riding and braking. Caliper off, cleaned and greased the slide pins and brake fluid flush. Back out for a ride, pads and rotor still too hot to touch after an easy ride. Front rotors not even warm. Thoughts? (2007 R1200RT)

DP