Thread: Brake Failure Light 2008 RT

Charlie O

Brake Failure Light 2008 RT

Good morning
    Brake Failure warning light is on. 2008 R1200 RT. I changed the Brake fluid front and rear about 500 miles ago. Everything seemed fine. (Light came on about 200 miles after the bf change) Good firm pedal and front brake grip etc. Is this a coincidence or could I have screwed something up. I don't have a way to check codes so I thought I would check with the experience of the members here for the basics before bring into the dealer.
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

The 08 doesn't have the "whizzy" pump and multi bleed procedure, so I won't suggest checking level of fluid in pump.
    Have you tried to engage the ABS?
    You may be looking at stuck brushes in the motor of the pump, which does happen with this generation of ABS. Need a code read to verify. Coincidence maybe on recent service timeline.
    You a member of a local club that certainly has someone with a GS-911? Maybe a nearby member seeing your locale will chime in.
    Worst case will require you to send pump out for repair...or replacement by a dealer.

Module Masters does repairs.

Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Charlie O
    The light was on intermittently at first. When the light was out the abs was working as it should when tested on a dirt road. Now that the light is staying on brakes are still fine but the abs does not work when tested on the dirt road. Where is the abs pump on that bike?
    Last edited by henzilla; 10-31-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Under the tank

I would try a hard surface road to try and cycle the motor/pump. Be careful!

You in RI I am assuming?
    The Yankee Beemers club has a huge presence and someone who could provide a gs-911 code read .

When you bled, did you just pump and bleed or use a mity vac? And how full are the resevoirs?
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Charlie O
    Steve
    Thank you for your help with this. When I got on the Module Masters web site they make a point about low battery voltage / amps causing the issue. I installed a new battery at the same time as the brake fluid change and the engine is turning over very slowly ever since. I am going to load test the battery and make sure it is holding a load when starting. That could very well be causing the abs pump to act up.

And then there's that on low voltage
    Most the time, clears up after first run of the day if not too short a ride.
    Steve Henson

Charlie O
    No luck with the low voltage. Took it to the shop and had it checked. Needs a pump. New pump is $1900 plus labor. Unbelievable!! One owner and well maintained 38,000 miles. Too bad nice riding bike but lousy quality. Fuel strips, brake pulsation and now this. What's next? Never again will I buy a BMW.
    The pump can be overhauled and I will probably go that route.

Broke brakes

Quote Originally Posted by ckbowen View Post
    No luck with the low voltage. Took it to the shop and had it checked. Needs a pump. New pump is $1900 plus labor. Unbelievable!! One owner and well maintained 38,000 miles. Too bad nice riding bike but lousy quality. Fuel strips, brake pulsation and now this. What's next? Never again will I buy a BMW.
    The pump can be overhauled and I will probably go that route.
    Sounds like my '07 R1200R, warped rotors and all. I paid $100 to get the rotors resurfaced, which cured that problem. The ABS issue was a bit tougher. My local mechanic was able to read the code - loss of power to the module. After watching a couple YouTube videos, I decided to try fixing it myself. I had access to a friend's machine shop, and 40 years of industrial maintenance under my hat. Not for the faint-hearted, but it can be done. Otherwise, I'd recommend a rebuild by a reputable outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinVT View Post
    The ABS issue was a bit tougher. My local mechanic was able to read the code - loss of power to the module. After watching a couple YouTube videos, I decided to try fixing it myself. I had access to a friend's machine shop, and 40 years of industrial maintenance under my hat. Not for the faint-hearted, but it can be done. Otherwise, I'd recommend a rebuild by a reputable outfit.
    Did you find any problems other than the usual stuck brushes?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT