Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: 2012 r1200gs questions

  1. #1

    2012 r1200gs questions

    I will be looking at a 2012 r1200gs at a dealer sat. afternoon. They are asking 10,999. The bike comes with panniers and top box, engine guard/s, skid plate and whatever other stock amenities like esa/abs etc. I've got no further information on any other options until I see it this weekend.

    It's got 51K miles on it. I'm looking for the general consensus of our esteemed members on this years GS model. I could not find any recalls on a thread here that lists them which I bookmarked.

    I offered 9K, it supposedly has new tires on it. WHAT should I be looking for on this bike when I look it over, and while I'm test riding it? Any quirks about this model I should be looking for? Problems that may be or have developed with that amount of mileage on it?

    Really appreciate members familiar with this bike weighing in with the educated opinions and facts. I presently ride an 07 K1200GT that I really have grown quite fond of, but the trip to Alaska in mid July has me wondering if I shouldn't also put this bike in the garage for the trip and whether this one will be better for that trip or not.

    Thanks in advance, this place is always a wealth of information to a neophyte like myself.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I will be looking at a 2012 r1200gs at a dealer sat. afternoon. They are asking 10,999. The bike comes with panniers and top box, engine guard/s, skid plate and whatever other stock amenities like esa/abs etc. I've got no further information on any other options until I see it this weekend.

    It's got 51K miles on it. I'm looking for the general consensus of our esteemed members on this years GS model. I could not find any recalls on a thread here that lists them which I bookmarked.

    I offered 9K, it supposedly has new tires on it. WHAT should I be looking for on this bike when I look it over, and while I'm test riding it? Any quirks about this model I should be looking for? Problems that may be or have developed with that amount of mileage on it?

    Really appreciate members familiar with this bike weighing in with the educated opinions and facts. I presently ride an 07 K1200GT that I really have grown quite fond of, but the trip to Alaska in mid July has me wondering if I shouldn't also put this bike in the garage for the trip and whether this one will be better for that trip or not.

    Thanks in advance, this place is always a wealth of information to a neophyte like myself.
    9k is a fair price for 51k, anymore is too much (unless it has lots of farkles, luggage, etc.). It has the fuel strip problem, which is unavoidable, otherwise not much that goes wrong. Check front and rear shocks for leaks. After test riding, make sure no oil on wheel from rear diff. Make sure clutch feels normal. IMHO, the camhead bikes like this are some of the best made by BMW.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cide1 View Post
    9k is a fair price for 51k, anymore is too much (unless it has lots of farkles, luggage, etc.). It has the fuel strip problem, which is unavoidable, otherwise not much that goes wrong. Check front and rear shocks for leaks. After test riding, make sure no oil on wheel from rear diff. Make sure clutch feels normal. IMHO, the camhead bikes like this are some of the best made by BMW.
    It has the panniers and top box. What's this fuel strip problem which can't be avoided? In other words, it's always going to be a problem and can't be fixed? What would one have to watch out for this problem, while riding to Alaska?>

    BTW, thanks for the reply sir.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    It has the panniers and top box. What's this fuel strip problem which can't be avoided? In other words, it's always going to be a problem and can't be fixed? What would one have to watch out for this problem, while riding to Alaska?>

    BTW, thanks for the reply sir.
    The sensor strip in the tank goes bad. Sometimes quickly, sometimes not. Many theories on why, but I havenít read any that were all that credible to me. My 2012 R1200R has had 4 do them in 35000 miles, BMW extended the warranty to 12 years from first replacement, but taking it in is a pain. I just use the odometer to track how much fuel is left. My 2013 R1200RT finally switched over to a more traditional fuel sender that is rock solid for most, but quite a few of the camhead bikes have this issue. Otherwise both of my camheads are absolutely fantastic, and make me smile every time I leave the driveway.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cide1 View Post
    The sensor strip in the tank goes bad. Sometimes quickly, sometimes not. Many theories on why, but I havenít read any that were all that credible to me. My 2012 R1200R has had 4 do them in 35000 miles, BMW extended the warranty to 12 years from first replacement, but taking it in is a pain. I just use the odometer to track how much fuel is left. My 2013 R1200RT finally switched over to a more traditional fuel sender that is rock solid for most, but quite a few of the camhead bikes have this issue. Otherwise both of my camheads are absolutely fantastic, and make me smile every time I leave the driveway.
    Thanks, while you were answering, I googled it. Seems to be quite common. I use my odo on the K1200gt and don't rely on the fuel guage already, because twice I've ridden till the warning light came on. The first time, 5 miles to a station I filled the 6.3 gallon tank to the neck as I always do and it only took 4.95 gallons.

    The second time was coming back across the desert where I pushed hard at 90 for several hours and found the light come on, and figured I had 45-47 miles left on the tank. Thing was, I was 63 miles from the next gas station. I slowed the bike to 60 on cruise to conserve, and the bike said empty [ gauge and miles left on the computer ] with the station still 18 miles away and having traveled 45 miles with the warning light. I was sweating pretty good about being stuck in the desert after dark on the side of the road, but made the station and filled it to the neck as usual. Figuring it would take 6. whatever of the 6.3 total. Well guess what, I could only get 5.3 gallons in the tank. Still had a gallon left and had ridden with the light on for 63 miles. I was stunned to say the least, but now it's by odo only, the hell with what the gauge or computer tells me.

    I reset trip and average miles per gallon every time and always have. I know I get 45mph with 6.3 gallons and can run at least 240 miles even at 90 and eating the average mpg up. So this problem with the fuel strip won't be a problem for me once I know what the bike will get worst case scenario and the number of gallons it holds, just using the trip meter.

    Thanks for the explanation, and waiting on others who might have me check something they believe the bike needs attention to as a general rule for make/model/year of the GS.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  6. #6
    Registered User talmadge_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    128

    Thumbs up

    I have a 2012 GSA bought new with about the same mileage as the bike you are lookinhg at. Rock solid so far. I do remember one recall years ago to change a cable fitting near the bars which I had done but seemed to me to be a low risk item. Sorry I don't have more details and that may have been GSA specific? Check the rear wheel for any side to side play that could be a differential bearing starting to go out - low probability but high impact. From what I've read this is a tolerance stacking issue and either you have it or you don't.
    At this age I would change all fluids and possibly brake pads just so you know what you are starting with but it is a very solid platform!
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

  7. #7
    Thank you sir. If I decide to take it, I'll make sure the fluids are all changed and yes, it has to have new brakes and tires for the start of the trip to Ak.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  8. #8
    Registered User Woodbutcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    271
    Fuel strip wouldn't be on a 2012. They changed from strip to float in 2011, if I remember correctly. So only the 2010 camheads had a strip and, of course, earlier hexheads.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

  9. #9
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    6,750
    The dealer can call up the bike on the BMW computer system and see if any recalls have been performed. The dealer will also be able to see what maintenance procedures or repairs were performed at a BMW authorized dealer. If the alternator belt has not been changed, then it is time to do that even if the old one still looks serviceable. The old one can then serve as a back-up. The bike should have had a major service performed at 48,000 miles. If there is no record of it being performed, then I'd want to have it done (or do it myself) at the time of purchase. The fuel strip issue seems to strike some bikes and not others. I never had any issues on the two I owned, but others have had several replaced. In my experience the fuel gage on these bikes is not to be relied upon even if the fuel strip is functioning. On the other hand the fuel gage on our liquid cooled models is very accurate. If you take the bike to Alaska, then ride on the top 2/3s of the tank (as calculated using the odo) and you won't have any problem.

    The 2012 GSAs were produced near the end of the Hexhead/Camhead run and had the major issues resolved. In general I think they are a solid used bike to buy.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  10. #10
    Thx akbeamer
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  11. #11
    I just bought a 2012 Triple Black w/12K on it for $8K. No luggage, but a solid bike otherwise.

    As woodbutcher stated, '12s don't have fuel strips, BMW went back to floats. Maintenance records
    are a godsend. If you can find out where the bike has been serviced the dealer can usually tell you
    what's been done.

    Just came off an '08 RT, and this is my first camhead, so far, pretty impressed by the engine.

    As someone else said, $9K is a pretty fair price for a '12 w/51K on it.

  12. #12
    Thx Tex
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
    Fuel strip wouldn't be on a 2012. They changed from strip to float in 2011, if I remember correctly. So only the 2010 camheads had a strip and, of course, earlier hexheads.
    My 12 R1200R has strip, my 13 R1200RT has float.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  14. #14
    So, can we get the fuel strip question cleared up? Does the 2012 GS have it or not? There's differing opinions in the replies.

    On another note, I bought the bike yesterday. It's got 11K miles on it [ the other one I was looking at had 51K ]. Here's the added features

    Factory Added Options:
    0135 Control Operator Concept
    0186 Special Model II
    0200 Special Model Triple Black
    0350 Chrome Exhaust Pipe
    0416 ESA II Electronic Suspension
    0432 Equipment PKG 2
    0519 Heated Grips
    0539 On Board Computer
    0589 Hand Protection
    0630 Integral ABS II
    0670 Special Color Wheels
    0681 Saddle Bag Mounts

    I'd like to hear from more members on this model and what I should pay attention to while on the trip to Ak. in July.

    I got a 2 year full warranty and 5 yr. tire and wheel warranty with the bike. It's got new skins and oil, but I think with the warranty I want to take it to MY mechanic and have him go through the bike. I trust him more than the dealer to check the bike completely and do what's needed to get me to Ak. and back without issues.

    Plus IF he finds it's leaking anywhere, it's fixed under warranty. I don't know much about mechanicals on vehicles [ cars or bikes ] but I can ride quite well with some professional training and 49 yrs on 800-900 # fully dressed out bikes. These Beemers are lighter and easier to manage as I get older.

    I kept the 200GT, I won't sell my rocket ship, so now I've got two Beemers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.3 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (53.4 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (47.7 KB, 44 views)
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  15. #15
    No one else with definitive fuel strip/no fuel strip information on the 2012GS?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 r1200gs
    By jgp1854 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 09:51 PM
  2. 2012 r1200gs / 2005 r1200gs
    By DENKAR55 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
  3. 2012 R1200RT aftermarket exhaust questions
    By CaptRehkopf in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 03:09 AM
  4. 2012 r1200gs
    By jgp1854 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  5. 2011 R1200GS vs. 2012 R1200GS
    By gunderwood in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •