• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crash bars/cylinder & case protection for R1200Rt

A

AZ_OLDGUY

Does anyone have any recommendations for crash bars for a R1200RT?

I have found the plastic covers to offer little protection for the cylinders, and none for the side cases.

I am short legged, and have in just 4000 miles of use had a number of parking lot drops. I keep saying I will wait until I get used to the bike and stop dropping her, and I am beginning to think that that day may never come. I would like to paint up and fix up the scratches, and know that without better protection I will be dropping her a day later. :dunno

I love my bike and want to protect her.

Glenn

Touratech makes some that are more like GS bars than the little valve cover caps you already have.

AZ,

I put Touratech crash bars on mine, and like them. I did drop it once on the bars, and the bag didn't touch. The cheapo pegs that I have mounted on the crash bars did swing and ding the valve cover, but not seriously. That was the only mark. I have since changed the mounting positon on the pegs.

The down side is that I will have to remove them for the 600 mile inspection, or pay $70 an hour to have them do it. Tonight, maybe, or tomorrow night. I expect they will get easier to install with more experience.

Gary

I prefer to call them engine protection bars!:laugh
I have the Wunderlich style and left the plastic ones on anyway. The valve covers come off w/out removing the bars. Did not keep side cases from getting scratched however when I shortstopped a non painted parking stop!

not my bike...but here they are

Attachments

• 8160735b.jpg
    8160735b.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 298
The dealers prefer that they be called engine protection bars, too, but I have been down, and they are crash bars.

When I dropped the bike, I wasn't moving forward, and the bag didn't make contact. Touratech bars on an R12. I didn't look to see how close it may have been, but no scratches. Might not be that way, though, with any forward movement.

I don't know if the valve covers will come off, but they have to take off the plastic for the 600 mile, and the plastic won't come off with the bars in place. I took them off last night. Less than an hour, and it should get faster.

I've been thinking about the cases. We need some sort of narrow slider bar attached to the cases. Apparently, they will take the weight of the bike, but scratch easily. If we had some sort of narrow slider plate in just the right place, something sacrificial, seems to me it would make a big difference.

Gary

I have seen a set of color matched panels on the lower section of the cases somewhere...maybe a BMW product. looked like protection from road debris more than side rubbin'. After the second paint job, I am more aware of things I CAN control...nothing to help the other situations:banghead
Saw some fellow apply Rhino lining to his and the fairing....maybe it will bounce right back up?:dunno :laugh :laugh

Yes, I've seen some sort of rubber stick on thing, but I agree that it doesn't look as if it would take hard knocks.

If I ever have enough "fiddle" time, I will work over a piece hard aluminum, or something like that. There should be a way. Police bikes have the rear bars, but I don't know where one would get them, and I expect they are quite spendy.

Gary

for now, I have the plastic ones. Better than nothing, I say.

protect_head.jpg
protect_bag.jpg

Here is the overall look with my Cheap-O JC Whitney trunk:
trunk_left.jpg

Where do you find Touratech bars for an R12.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great response to my initial question.

Can anyone tell me where to find Touratech bars for an R12? I would also like to see some pics of Touratech bars on an R12.

also where are the Wunderlich style ones sold?

As for the plastic valve cover protectors, a few weeks ago, I put her down on gravel in my driveway and as she went over I twisted the throttle just enough to give her some forward speed as she hit the ground (I was trying to get her to stand up)and we are talking way less than walking speed). didn't hurt anything major, but the case in the back and the valve cover got some great new gouges, not holes fortunately, but the plastic valve cover protector just exploded into about six little pieces before my very eyes. Not great for a $64 dollar part, and not much protection unless you are dead still in the water. :violin

Glenn

Touratech is sold out of Seattle. Wunderlich out of one of the california beemer places. Google the names for the web sites. Both have good catalogs, and quite a bit of goodies for the various bikes.

I have the touratech crash bars on my bike. I chose them because they appear to better protect the valve covers.

If you pull up the web sites, you will find pictures from both companies.

I did drop mine at a stand still, and the bag never touched the ground. Don't know what would happen if it were moving a bit.

I just had to remove my bars because the 600 mile is scheduled for Friday, and I didn't want to pay shop time to have them pulled. I don't know if the fairing can be removed with the Wunderlich attached, but it can't be done with the Touratechs.

Good Luck

Gary

Yes, I've seen some sort of rubber stick on thing, but I agree that it doesn't look as if it would take hard knocks.

If I ever have enough "fiddle" time, I will work over a piece hard aluminum, or something like that. There should be a way. Police bikes have the rear bars, but I don't know where one would get them, and I expect they are quite spendy.

Gary

There is an '07 RT-P at LoneStar..I'll go look at the rear bars and see...I think it has city case narrow lids however...I'll take a pic and price them

The Wunderlich outer bars have to be removed to remove the lower fairing also. Not a major issue. three bolts and a setscrew on each side.
http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/2998912#162617751

I've removed the right side lower fairing without removing my Wunderlich bars, and my shop (who did my Autocom install) said he was able to remove both sides without removing the bars. It takes some maneuvering, but my understanding is that it can be done.

Regardless, it's easy enough to remove the sides if you'd rather go that route.

Hen,

Do the hand guards work? What kind of mirrors do I see on the handle bars?

Gary

There is an '07 RT-P at LoneStar..I'll go look at the rear bars and see...I think it has city case narrow lids however...I'll take a pic and price them

While you're looking at the RT-P, can you see if it has fans for the oil cooler? I'm thinking of bodging something together but if there is a better factory solution, I'd rather use it if it will fit...

Cheers!

Hen,

Do the hand guards work? What kind of mirrors do I see on the handle bars?

Gary

The handguards def worked...I am impressed, wish I had them last winter. they kept the water off my hands in a shower, not so much from overhead in the T-Storm but kept the blowing rain from drenching my hands. They stopped some big bugs also. Easy install and removable as easily. you replace the stock 3 mirror ball studs to add the small bracket. I had orderd them from Santa Cruz and they are Wunderlich parts. I had ordered way back in October and got backordered until last week before we left for NC.

I talked about the mirrors in the Gear forum the post was "mirrors" I had the part #'s listed also

a fellow clubmember showed up for Asheville run w /these mirrors..they are from an '02 K1200RS. For $150 I can SEE behind me when packed w/gear!! John was ahead of me on the trip and I could see his big grin :thumb

While you're looking at the RT-P, can you see if it has fans for the oil cooler? I'm thinking of bodging something together but if there is a better factory solution, I'd rather use it if it will fit...

Cheers!

headed there this AM...will check it out! I am intersted in that option as well....soon to be triple digits around here in the afternoon.

Cheers!

THe '07 RT-P did have a rear mounted cooler, the service writer was not sure if harness was same on RT vs. RT-P and the mechanic that did know was at lunch...I think I will see him on a ride Saturday and will ask. He said parts and about an hours labor rate if it is "plug & play"
noticed someone else asked this and had an answer here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=17024&highlight=oil+cooler

Gary

here are some pics, the RT-P has city cases though:( the bar also uses the passenger footrest location as one of the mounting points
They CAN be ordered thru a dealer...I did not price since they were to narrow

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/3006749#163158723

Hen,

I appreciate the photo. Quite informative. I wasn't aware that they are mounted with the skinny bags, tho, and also that the pretty much use up the passenger pegs.

If ever I figure how to been pipe on my home made press, I might make a stab at making a set, but I'm guess they would be quite spendy from Beemer....particularly when they would have to be altered.

Maybe the best thing is to work harder at keeping it upright?

Thanks,

Gary

Back