• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

going to south dakota/ badlands

backroads rider
we are planing a trip to the badlands. can anyone give some insight to where we should or should not go. we want to see some counrty side and try to stay away from the crowds. we also like to eat bbq if you know of any great out of the way places.thanks for the help--bike on--:dance

depending on where you're coming from, SD50 and US18 across the southern portion of south dakota is a very nice ride.

look for vermillion, sd and then head west from there.

custer state park is a great place to ride and camp.

Thanks for the info I think we will check out the park we will not be camping this time out but will scout it out for the next time

If you want to avoid crowds, don't go during the Sturgis rally.

You can get a copy of this map in the Black Hills. http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/go.asp?ID=205

I recommend Hwy 16A south of Keystone and through Custer State Park. Needles Hwy is great. Wall Drug in Wall, SD is interesting. And there is Devils Tower.

July 6, 7, and 8 is the Black Hills BMW Stampede in Spearfish, SD which I recommend.

South Dokota

we are planing a trip to the badlands. can anyone give some insight to where we should or should not go. we want to see some counrty side and try to stay away from the crowds. we also like to eat bbq if you know of any great out of the way places.thanks for the help--bike on--:dance

The Bad Lands are nice to see but, if you are like me, you will not be there long. Many more interesting places in the area. Needles Highway, the Black Hills, Spearfish canyon and the Crazy Horse monument just to mention a few. Also, for something really neat do the Minuteman Silo tour. (All tours begin at the park headquarters. The headquarters is located on the south side of Exit 131 off Interstate 90 in western South Dakota, beside the BP gas station. This is 75 miles east of Rapid City.)

Ron

I suggest that you alot approximately 30 minutes for visiting with the crusty trail horse ride operator on the, I believe, southern fringe of the Badlands. He is hilarious. Be sure to ask him about the difference between the forty-five minute ride and the hour and a half ride. Also, ask him what type of horses he selects for the operation, if there is any special breed he prefers, and if he has any photographs of that breed.

Back