Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a used RT - need advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

In the market for a used RT - need advice

What should I be looking for?

Any years and/or options I should avoid?

Since these bikes last forever, I think I'm willing to accept some miles and some years in exchange for a lower price - but how old should I go before I run into the risk of having to spend a lot of money renewing parts as they wear out instead of simply enjoying a reliable bike?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Rt

Airhead, or Oiler? If the latter, pick 1997 (when the transmission was finally sorted out) to 2004. The 2004 twin sparkers have the least surge, and would be my choice.

Rinty

03 and 04, (possibly 02?) have six speed transmissions. The older models have a five speed transmission and the displacement drops to 1100 instead of 1150 cc's. O4 was the first year to have duel spark plugs which was supposed to minimize surging. The headlights prior to 03 or (02?) were square while the newer 1150's have a wider more modern looking headlight. The model changed in 05 to the 1200RT and not many people are aware there were actually two RT's in 05. The early part of the year still had an 05 1150RT and I believe it was that spring that the new 1200RT's showed up and the 1150RT's was finally done. I don't think they had all the colors available for the 05 1150RT model and the only color I saw was blue.

I might be selling my 04RT before long on the flee market.

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    I might be selling my 04RT before long on the flee market.
    Should we be concerned about items purchased through a "flee market"? Seems like "buyer beware" is key when buying at a "flee market"!

Sorry for hassling you about your typo - and thank you for the insight you kindly provided prior to my skewering your syntax
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Definitely be thinking '05 1200RT or later. There are numerous improvements between the 1150's and 1200's that make the 1200's a better bike. Better power and response, better shifting transmission, paralever arm/drive shaft redesigned, cruise control, better design for side cases - they open easier, better aerodynamics (IMHO) and electronic suspension if you want it. I'm assuming you would also want heated grips and seats. I wouldn't get the radio, it is almost useless and the alarm is a joke. On long trips the cruise control is worth its weight in gold.

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Definitely be thinking '05 1200RT or later. There are numerous improvements between the 1150's and 1200's that make the 1200's a better bike. Better power and response, better shifting transmission, paralever arm/drive shaft redesigned, cruise control, better design for side cases - they open easier, better aerodynamics (IMHO) and electronic suspension if you want it. I'm assuming you would also want heated grips and seats. I wouldn't get the radio, it is almost useless and the alarm is a joke. On long trips the cruise control is worth its weight in gold.
    I have an 06 RT, I find the radio works well for me, it can be heard a highway speeds, or get an autocom or baerh communications system. My bike has the autocom, the only drawback to it is the bike radio increases the volume at speed and so does the autocom so I find I'm turning the volume up or down occasionally, (a minor annoyance). The cases and mounting system are much nicer than the 1150 I had.

Buying from a "flea market" is fine, just try to find something within driving distance. I found mine on the internet, forget exactly where I found the link to it. The bike was the dealer's own, had the autocom and other aftermarket items installed.

It also has the alarm and a transponder key, almost a bit of redundancy, although the alarm has a trembler feature so will go off if someone attempted to move the bike.

I was hoping for something in the sub-$10,000 range. 2004 and newer bikes are up in the $12,000 - $15,000 range - way out of my league.

I guess I'll have to put this idea on the back-burner and wait 'til I win the lottery or '92 K75's rocket up in value - which ever comes first. I'd like to avoid having to make a monthly payment.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by 100394 View Post
    I have an 06 RT, I find the radio works well for me, it can be heard a highway speeds, or get an autocom or baerh communications system. My bike has the autocom, the only drawback to it is the bike radio increases the volume at speed and so does the autocom so I find I'm turning the volume up or down occasionally, (a minor annoyance).
    You can set the radio to not adjust for speed. This would eliminate having to adjust for at least the stereo.
    Mike

Current: '05 R1200RT
    Past: '71 Triumph Bonniville 650, '84 Kawasaki LTD 700, '86 K100RT

motorcycle cowboy roostershooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    But, they don't look near as good as the '04. IMHO
    2013 Goldwing

A lower cost alternative

Although the 1100RT's lack some of the "improvements" mentioned, they have plenty of power for long distance touring, ABS, and really great lines. 7 - 8K should get you a specimen with low miles and lots of extras; some out there for under 6K. Mine is a 98, bought from a dealer 2 seasons ago with 68K miles, it just turned 100K and runs great. I think the 1100's are a great value, and if I wear this one out, I will most likely get another. Why? The sexy organic lines and the price.

Happy hunting,

Rick

tdomek
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    But, they don't look near as good as the '04. IMHO
    +1

I love the Hexhead motor, but the CANBUS scares me and the new RT fairing is too big and fugly IMHO, never mind the extra 7,8,9K it costs!

tdomek

'04 Rt

I have wanted an Oilhead RT since they were introduced. I settled on the '04 because of the headlight system (looks better), two spark (less surging with less futzing) and six speed transmission (less buzzy at highway speeds).

This spring I bought "Maureen" from an ad on the 'MOA flea market for $10K. '02 and '03 models lack the twin spark, and can be had for less.

Purchasing anything of this value demands that the buyer (and seller) does their homework, but in my opinion this and the IBMWR site attract a higher echelon of folks than the classifieds or the generic web sales venues.

YMMV and good hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Should we be concerned about items purchased through a "flee market"? Seems like "buyer beware" is key when buying at a "flee market"!

Sorry for hassling you about your typo - and thank you for the insight you kindly provided prior to my skewering your syntax

Here is your bike, right here on the MOA Flea Market!

2004 RT for under 10K and I will ride it out to WA for you

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Here is your bike, right here on the MOA Flea Market!

2004 RT for under 10K and I will ride it out to WA for you
    That's a gorgeous bike. Time to go visit my bank and inquire about a loan.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    That's a gorgeous bike. Time to go visit my bank and inquire about a loan.
    Do a little wheeling and dealing, and you could have that bike home after a cross country trip for around $10k. Not bad.