• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

In the market for a used RT - need advice

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
What should I be looking for?

Any years and/or options I should avoid?

Since these bikes last forever, I think I'm willing to accept some miles and some years in exchange for a lower price - but how old should I go before I run into the risk of having to spend a lot of money renewing parts as they wear out instead of simply enjoying a reliable bike?

Rt

Airhead, or Oiler? If the latter, pick 1997 (when the transmission was finally sorted out) to 2004. The 2004 twin sparkers have the least surge, and would be my choice.

Rinty

03 and 04, (possibly 02?) have six speed transmissions. The older models have a five speed transmission and the displacement drops to 1100 instead of 1150 cc's. O4 was the first year to have duel spark plugs which was supposed to minimize surging. The headlights prior to 03 or (02?) were square while the newer 1150's have a wider more modern looking headlight. The model changed in 05 to the 1200RT and not many people are aware there were actually two RT's in 05. The early part of the year still had an 05 1150RT and I believe it was that spring that the new 1200RT's showed up and the 1150RT's was finally done. I don't think they had all the colors available for the 05 1150RT model and the only color I saw was blue.

I might be selling my 04RT before long on the flee market.

I might be selling my 04RT before long on the flee market.

Should we be concerned about items purchased through a "flee market"? Seems like "buyer beware" is key when buying at a "flee market"!

Sorry for hassling you about your typo - and thank you for the insight you kindly provided prior to my skewering your syntax :)

Definitely be thinking '05 1200RT or later. There are numerous improvements between the 1150's and 1200's that make the 1200's a better bike. Better power and response, better shifting transmission, paralever arm/drive shaft redesigned, cruise control, better design for side cases - they open easier, better aerodynamics (IMHO) and electronic suspension if you want it. I'm assuming you would also want heated grips and seats. I wouldn't get the radio, it is almost useless and the alarm is a joke. On long trips the cruise control is worth its weight in gold.

Definitely be thinking '05 1200RT or later. There are numerous improvements between the 1150's and 1200's that make the 1200's a better bike. Better power and response, better shifting transmission, paralever arm/drive shaft redesigned, cruise control, better design for side cases - they open easier, better aerodynamics (IMHO) and electronic suspension if you want it. I'm assuming you would also want heated grips and seats. I wouldn't get the radio, it is almost useless and the alarm is a joke. On long trips the cruise control is worth its weight in gold.

I have an 06 RT, I find the radio works well for me, it can be heard a highway speeds, or get an autocom or baerh communications system. My bike has the autocom, the only drawback to it is the bike radio increases the volume at speed and so does the autocom so I find I'm turning the volume up or down occasionally, (a minor annoyance). The cases and mounting system are much nicer than the 1150 I had.

Buying from a "flea market" is fine, just try to find something within driving distance. I found mine on the internet, forget exactly where I found the link to it. The bike was the dealer's own, had the autocom and other aftermarket items installed.

It also has the alarm and a transponder key, almost a bit of redundancy, although the alarm has a trembler feature so will go off if someone attempted to move the bike.

I was hoping for something in the sub-$10,000 range. 2004 and newer bikes are up in the $12,000 - $15,000 range - way out of my league.

I guess I'll have to put this idea on the back-burner and wait 'til I win the lottery or '92 K75's rocket up in value - which ever comes first. I'd like to avoid having to make a monthly payment.

I have an 06 RT, I find the radio works well for me, it can be heard a highway speeds, or get an autocom or baerh communications system. My bike has the autocom, the only drawback to it is the bike radio increases the volume at speed and so does the autocom so I find I'm turning the volume up or down occasionally, (a minor annoyance).

You can set the radio to not adjust for speed. This would eliminate having to adjust for at least the stereo.

I was hoping for something in the sub-$10,000 range. 2004 and newer bikes are up in the $12,000 - $15,000 range - way out of my league.

I guess I'll have to put this idea on the back-burner and wait 'til I win the lottery or '92 K75's rocket up in value - which ever comes first. I'd like to avoid having to make a monthly payment.

You know those older K-bikes are nice and well worth keeping..

'04 Rt

I have wanted an Oilhead RT since they were introduced. I settled on the '04 because of the headlight system (looks better), two spark (less surging with less futzing) and six speed transmission (less buzzy at highway speeds).

This spring I bought "Maureen" from an ad on the 'MOA flea market for $10K. '02 and '03 models lack the twin spark, and can be had for less.

Purchasing anything of this value demands that the buyer (and seller) does their homework, but in my opinion this and the IBMWR site attract a higher echelon of folks than the classifieds or the generic web sales venues.

YMMV and good hunting!

Should we be concerned about items purchased through a "flee market"? Seems like "buyer beware" is key when buying at a "flee market"!

Sorry for hassling you about your typo - and thank you for the insight you kindly provided prior to my skewering your syntax :)

Purchased the 2002 Rt three years ago for $11,000, had less than 3000 miles. Have seen them for less than $10,000 now. There is some minor surging, this happens on many BMW models; it is minor and avoiding a small range in the RPMs makes it a non issue; and yes there are many improvements in the 1200; there will soon be other inprovements to the 1200, this pattern will never end.

Having said that I have riden for 27 years and am very happy with my 2002 RT as I too did not want to break out for payments and/or spend over $18,000 as this would be a second street bike and have dirt bikes also.

It has heated grips, the modern headlight; added the throddle miseter to lock the throddle; this has been used for longer trips and works fine, would love cruise control but it is not worth several thousand dollars. Rode from Kentucky to Utah fully loaded with camping gear last summer by way of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado and back, fully loaded with camping gear and could not ask more from a bike. Mountain roads fully loaded no problem; highway speeds far in excess of legal limits no problem. I have upgraded the stock seat (Corbin) and windshield (larger Cee Baileys).

Having riden the 1200Rt, dont misunderstand, it is a great bike, but that should not preclude you from staying in your spending range and purchasing a quality motorcycle.

You know those older K-bikes are nice and well worth keeping..

I wish I could keep my K75S and get a newer RT, but the K75 would be my trade/down payment for a new/newer bike. The reason for the upgrade is that I'd like ABS, I'd like a larger fairing and thus better weather protection, and I'd like a bike that just feels "bigger" underneath me.

I thought it would take at least a couple of years before I'd outgrow the K75, but it's only taken 7 months of riding for me to realize I'd feel more comfortable on a larger, more "upright" bike. My next-door-neighbor, a police motorcycle officer, keeps encouraging me to get a bike with ABS, telling me it will save my life some day.

Of course, I'm having a much easier time convincing myself than I am my wife :)

I did find out that I can get a new 2007 RT for "only" $250/month with my trade-in. Now if I only had an extra $250/month laying around...

But, they don't look near as good as the '04. IMHO :thumb

A lower cost alternative

Although the 1100RT's lack some of the "improvements" mentioned, they have plenty of power for long distance touring, ABS, and really great lines. 7 - 8K should get you a specimen with low miles and lots of extras; some out there for under 6K. Mine is a 98, bought from a dealer 2 seasons ago with 68K miles, it just turned 100K and runs great. I think the 1100's are a great value, and if I wear this one out, I will most likely get another. Why? The sexy organic lines and the price.

Happy hunting,

Rick

I wish I could keep my K75S and get a newer RT, but the K75 would be my trade/down payment for a new/newer bike. The reason for the upgrade is that I'd like ABS, I'd like a larger fairing and thus better weather protection, and I'd like a bike that just feels "bigger" underneath me.

I thought it would take at least a couple of years before I'd outgrow the K75, but it's only taken 7 months of riding for me to realize I'd feel more comfortable on a larger, more "upright" bike. My next-door-neighbor, a police motorcycle officer, keeps encouraging me to get a bike with ABS, telling me it will save my life some day.

Of course, I'm having a much easier time convincing myself than I am my wife :)

I did find out that I can get a new 2007 RT for "only" $250/month with my trade-in. Now if I only had an extra $250/month laying around...

IMHO, look for an R1150RT. The 'old' oilhead was one of the best bikes of its class, if not the best, until the R12RT came out. You'll get years of riding and great fun out of one.

Lastly, if you haven't yet, go ride one or two or three. They're very different beasts from your old K. You may not be a BMW RT kind of guy. There are, of course, other brands and other models that may work as well or better for you and your particular needs - and usually for less money. FJR, etc.

As to the R12RT, it may well be the "better" bike, but so what. You're buying a bike, not a new liver. Buy the best you can afford. It'll be more than good enough.

Look around and be patient, you will find an 04 in your price range. Also check out

BMW Sport Touring classifieds

and

Internet BMW Riders classifieds

I've seen a lot of bikes at those two places that don't show up on our "Flee Market" :brow

Good luck in your search and post a pic of your new bike when you find it.:clap

Back