• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can I install an RID in a non-RID 96 gs?

M

maxharn

I just bought a '96 r1100gs but it doesn't have an RID- just a blank piece of plastic where it would've been. I didn't want this to be a deal-breaker, but I miss it.I'm used to looking at it on my RS. I'm used to being able to see a gas guage, temp guage, and clock. Can I install one, and if so, how much do you think it'll cost?

thanks

gas and temp guage

Or, if I can't install an RID, is there an easy way to get a gas and/or temp guage?

thanks

Yes, you can install one. Biggest question is whether the gear indicator switch is installed on the transmission. If it's not, you can add it, BUT it's a pain to get to. The rest of the wiring and sensors should be there already. Find where the connector in the harness is - it should be near the spot for the RID. Now have you priced out the part itself? Beemer Boneyard generally has used ones, but they're $125+.

If I recall correctly from my '97, the connector for the wiring harness to the RID is attached to the connector for the harness to the right-hand handlebar switch. They don't electrically plug into each other they're just affixed to each other. Both are located under the gas tank towards the front. They're both next to another harness connector for the alarm system that will also be open if the alarm is not installed.

Now there's a high-pitched whine!

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the RID harness in the morning. If I can get one for $125 that'd be great because I'm already nervous not knowing how much fuel is in the tank.

I rode this 25,000 mile r1100gs 100 miles today- my first ride since the test-ride before I bought it. It was fine on Saturday, and as I pushed off this morning, but now there's a whining coming from somewhere... it reminds me of the high-pitch whir of the magnetos on a cessna. Could it be a bearing? Fuel pump? Alternator? What else is there that spins really fast? My '96 r1100rs has never made a sound like this!

RID obtained

I found a used RID at the beemer boneyard for $150 but it's for an rs/rt. I guess the wires are a different length but if it doesn't reach I can send it back to b.b., or route the wires differently, or even mount the RID somewhere else.

I wouldn't mind just calculating mileage vs gas but if I get into hills or dirt or junk then gas use will change and I'd really hate to run out of fuel.

Back