• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California Here We Come!

DrPaul

DrPaul
Good Morning!

I'm new to BMW motorcycles and the MOA having acquired my '02 R1150RT just last fall. So far (2500 miles) it has been a wonderful machine. I've spent a good bit of time on Japanese bikes over the past 35 years (mainly Yamaha) but this is my first BMW (with two wheels) and my first sport tourer. I have enjoyed lurking in the Oilhead Forum and learning from the gurus there. I do pretty much all my own wrenching and really value the technical expertise of this group. Thanks!

A couple of my riding buddies and I are contemplating a trip "out West" this year and would like to make California our primary destination. We are thinking of having about four days there in September and would welcome recommendations from forum members on two wheel adventures in the Golden State. We enjoy beautiful scenery, good roads, modest accomodations and want to avoid metro areas as much as possible. We will likely come via I-40 from our home town in NE Oklahoma. Advice on "must see" and "must avoid" is greatly appreciated!

Dr. Paul (McQuillen)
2002 R1150RT

If you come via I-40, you'll cross the Mojave. It will still be quite hot then, as will the central valley. But the tourists will be back at work and school, so the coast will be clear (so to speak), and should be wonderful. You could do a lot worse than riding up CA-1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey, and especially from north of the Golden Gate bridge to where it runs into US-101 at Leggett.

Some excellent riding areas are the San Gabriel and Santa Monica mountains around LA, and the Los Padres National Forest area north of LA, especially along CA-33. CA-58 from Mckittrick to US-101 is great fun, and there are some through side roads (CA-229 to Creston, for example), that are great.

Alternatively, you might take CA-49 through the Gold Country in the western Sierra Nevada foothills, and use it to guide you across the passes, back and forth. CA-120 through Yosemite is scenic, but the speed limit is 45mph. CA-108 (Sonora Pass), CA-4 (Ebbetts Pass), CA-89 (Monitor Pass), CA-88 (Carson Pass) and CA-49 itself (Yerba Buena Pass) are all great, fun roads with less traffic than I-80 and US-50.

Lots of Californians go to the far north of the state for some of the finest riding in the nation. The aformentioned stretch of CA-1, and espescially from Westport to Leggett, is top notch riding. The Avenue of the Giants, parallel to US-101 above Garberville, is like the riding with the Ewoks on Endor in Return of the Jedi! The "Lost Coast Road", from Ferndale through Petrolia (the first oil strike in California) to Weott is exceptionally beautiful. Other roads in the Trinity Alps area have great riding and scenic potential, such as CA-96, CA-3 and especially CA-36, all with numerous side roads worth investigating.

I can't think of anything to add to what Darryl has suggested except perhaps 120
through Yosemite. If you are coming through NV, you could add the ET highway
hooking that to 120 and Westward. By coming this way, you might also consider
Mono Lake area--including the ghost town of Bodie (some dirt riding is required to
get out to the park).

Sept in the Sierra is usually nice. But keep in mind that weather can be a factor
any time you're traveling in the mountains.

Ian

Have a great trip! If you find yourselves heading in the neighborhood of Santa Cruz, please feel free to contact me.

Dr. Paul, I moved to the West Coast one year ago from SC. I started a collection of photo albums that you are welcome to check out these photos at http://rmielke.photosite.com/. I would highly reccomend Fortuna, CA and the Avenue of The Giants. Located right off Hwy 101 in Fortuna you can view 1,000 year old giant redwoods.

Also, living in Oregon, I feel you must see Crater Lake National Park. It's breathtaking and worth the trip. I could go on & on but will let you check out the photos at photoste and make your own decisions.

CL_14.jpg

CL_17.jpg

Mountains_2.jpg

Tree8.jpg

Welcome!

4 days in CA is such a small dent out here, but some is a ton better than none:). Always save room for a return later, I say. My wife and I live between Sequoia N.P. and Yosemite N.P., about midway off to the east of Clovis,CA.. These parks are premier sights in our state, as so many listed above are, too. We also happen to own horses, so our place is large enough to roam a bit. The Bar O Ranch, as my last name is Owens! Its in a very pleasant foothill setting, below the High Sierra's, so riding into the Sierra's is a no brainer. Its my backyard:). IF you're travelling, el campo style, you are surely welcome to pitch your camp here for one or two nights, as you desire. We have shady, good camping at the house. Please enjoy CA as I'm sure you will and don't hesitate to stop by if these two parks are in your itinerary, as we are right in line with these wonderful sights. I rode Sequoia NP today:)...40 miles from my doorstep:) Happy Trails, Randy13233..owensranch@earthlink.net

California riding

Well, you have to visit the PCH and travel either North or South. You will agree it is the best single road out there. I did this route while I was in California last February. I road into Venus Beach and then rode North to Carmel. I stopped at the Hearst Castle (home of Citizen Kane) to tour the Castle. I would recommend that. There are 4 tours that take you to different parts of the complex. I only took one that took me to the main parts of the house and the pools. No line and I was in and out within 2 hours.

I also recommend Big Sir National Park.

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
Back