• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Marty the detailer

Mar

This was posted on the K bike list. I snipped non-pertinent comments. I am *assuming* this is Marty the detailer we've seen at many rallies.

a friend of mine had a accident when the k-75 rear drive boss/tab,
mounting tab, [pardon me for not knowing the proper nomenclature ] broke
at speed allowing the rear wheel to contact the rear fender [ under
load road trip ]and lock the rear wheel at 70 mph or faster [interstate ]
the k-75 had 200 k +/- , and the rider/owner has several other k-75's as
well.
you may know, or have seen marty , at many bmw rally's as he is a vendor
and he and at larger rally's crew, detail bikes.
his gear saved him, broken collar bone ,wrist and minor road rash...
he said he knows what the pavement looks like at speed, through his face
shield,

richard

he's a nice guy. hope he's doing well. the post doesn't mention his condition.

i cant figure out what they're saying broke on the bike. if i recall marty's bike was modified in some way to allow the mounting of custom bags to hold all his detailing tools. maybe something other than stock??

Marty is one of the best. Always willing to stop and share details of his work and his rides. Last year I followed hlim from Daytona to Burlington.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

From May 2005:

23536011-M.jpg

Heal quickly, Marty.

Very sorry to hear about Marty's accident... spent part of the weekend helping Helen2Wheels (along with several others) with her latest incident.

Is there a way to contact Marty? Someone here knows... ;)

I'm so sorry to hear this. Marty is a good guy and I'd sure like to know how to get a hold of him while he heals up.

i cant figure out what they're saying broke on the bike. if i recall marty's bike was modified in some way to allow the mounting of custom bags to hold all his detailing tools. maybe something other than stock??
I assumed that the lower shock mount (where the bolt stub threads into the final drive) broke.

yeah, that's about all i could think of, but i was thinking that the swingarm would hit the trans housing before the tire was fully into the underside of the rear fender. it's been a bit since i've had a kbike in the garage, though.

anyhow, i hope marty's on his way to a speedy recovery. too many stories of people going down recently.

I assumed that the lower shock mount (where the bolt stub threads into the final drive) broke.

Back