• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wind Noise, I hate wind noise!

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
:banghead Ok, this is not a windshield thread (well, maybe), or a helmet thread (again, maybe) or neccessarily an earplug thread (but maybe....). I have an R1150RT. I am 6' and use a Rick Mayer saddle in the tall position. I have tried a V-stream (ZTecnik) and a Cee Bailey #2 +3 windshield, I have a Shoei RF900, a Nolan N100E, a Nolan N40, an Arai Signet, and an HJC CL14 helmet. I don't neccessarily need a windshield for full caverage, I always look over it and lately have been using the stock BMW shield all the way down. I am trying to find the quietest possible combination. I have tried earplugs but find they get uncomfortable very quickly. I am in the process of looking into a custom set now.

Short point to a long story; what have people found that works to keep the wind roar down? If I stand on the pegs, the undisturbed wind is far more peaceful then even the stock shield in the lowest position. HELP....... I'm going (more) nuts.

:banghead :dunno

Last edited:
well, having never owned a "properly fared bike" i wouldn't know on the bike end, but in terms of helmet and plugs i say cheap helmet and good earplugs will do the trick, i'm shocked at how loud my new arai is, but oh the ventilation!

i also put my head on my tankbag sometimes when i want a "quiet moment":laugh

I think windshields create more noise. I have an R11RS and an R12ST, and I leave the shields in their lowest position all the time, because otherwise they just create turbulence and noise.

Earplugs are the #1 solution for me, but helmet fit is important to keeping noise down, as well. It seems like a lot of the noise I experience in a helmet has to do with how much wind is comin in from the bottom. Helmets that are snug against my cheeks and with a relatively small bottom opening seem to be quieter for me.

YM will definitely V

Earplugs

:banghead Ok, this is not a windshield thread (well, maybe), or a helmet thread (again, maybe) or neccessarily an eraplug thread (but maybe....). I have an R1150RT. I am 6' and use a Rick Mayer saddle in the tall position. I have tried a V-stream (ZTecnik) and a Cee Bailey #2 +3 windshield, I have a Shoei RF900, a Nolan N100E, a Nolan N40, an Arai Signet, and an HJC CL14 helmet. I don't neccessarily need a windshield for full caverage, I always look over it and lately have been using the stock BMW shield all the way down. I am trying to find the quietest possible combination. I have tried earplugs but find they get uncomfortable very quickly. I am in the process of looking into a custom set now.

Short point to a long story; what have people found that works to keep the wind roar down? If I stand on the pegs, the undisturbed wind is far more peaceful then even the stock shield in the lowest position. HELP....... I'm going (more) nuts.

:banghead :dunno

When you say that you have tried earplugs, I assume you mean the generic version since you also said you are looking into a custom set. I have never tried the generic earplugs , but I had a guy at the Atlanta bike show make me a custom set and I am very satisfied with them. :thumb They did take an adjustment period though. Overall, I think you would be happy. As far as turbulence goes, it has been over 8 months since I have ridden, so I can't even address that issue.:cry

Last edited:
I have a set of custom made Earinc sport ear plugs. They have speakers installed so the ear plugs not only drastically cut the wind noise but you hear soft and high note tunes at most highway speeds.

I ride a 97 R 1100 RT with an Aeroflow windshield and a Nolan 100 N helmet and I use generic earplugs (Lowes, improving home improvement). Flip up helmet has more noise than one piece. But I set the shield so I can see over it and my head is in still air. If I put my hand on top of my helmet I feel a little there.

If the shield is up too high, I get pressure on the back of my helmet.

When it is really hot, windshield down, air hitting my chest.

Also am 6'2" with a Corbin seat in the high position.

The noise inside my helmet, a Shoei X-11, is worse on my R1200RT than on my unfaired Suzuki. I don't ever ride without earplugs. Ridiculous. If the helmet manufacturers attached as much significance to hearing protection as they do to designing their silly paint schemes, maybe we could ride without going deaf. Isolating the ears in still air is not an unreasonable request.

Basically you want a short windshield if you want quiet. Its also quiet behind one that is too tall however. I cant stand looking through one of those so I go the short route. Unfaired bikes are pretty quiet too. But they wont go over about 80 without you fell like your being torn off the bike. To say nothing of cold riding or riding in the rain.

I use ear plugs, have a noisy Nolan and a windscreen on my R1100R, it is noisy, so if I really don't want any wind noise I take the cage;)

Arai Quantum II

The noise level with earplugs and riding an R90 with "S" fairing is relatively low. So much so that I can't hear the interesting noises that I like to listen to from the bike. But the helmet is HUGE - and I get more wind buffeting than I would like. I'm tempted to fall back to a 3/4 helmet just for a little relief from the wind effects.

I rode a few miles on my lonely, low usage country lane without the helmet just for the pleasure (and "proactive system diagnostic") yesterday. How are you supposed to tell what's going on with the machine if you can't hear it?

I found riding my GS without a windshield to be a quieter experience than when it's on the bike. My Shoei RF 900 is the quietest helmet I have and my Arai RX7 the noisiest. The Caberg falls in between. The earplug thing is personal as they fit everyone differently. I have custom plugs as well as the generic ones and I prefer the latter. The customs are too hard and hurt after 2 hours whereas the brand x at Walgreens are fine and are quieter to boot.
It's all about experimenting to see what works best for you.

I have a short Ztechnic shield on my 04' K1200GT and noticed that
I was getting a lot of wind noise from the rear of my helmet. If I
moved my hand behind my helmet by the neck I could stop that noise.

So I was looking for a way to block the wind from shooting up the
rear of my helmet and found this great product:

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html

It mounts on the outside bottom inch of the helmet and has a lip that
extends about an inch inside the helmet all around. This prevents the
wind from coming in from the bottom of the helmet.

I ordered and arrived no problem in a week. Really like it - stopped
wearing earplugs for local trips.

Jeff

Wind noise

Proper shield height is when you can look over the top. Proximity to the shield is also important- closer is better. Since we are all of varying dimensions and the bikes can only adapt so far we must decide what is most important.
The fact that we can get out on our bikes to enjoy the roads and our friends is great. So get the best ear plugs you can and live with it. As an old rancher said "it goes with the territory".

Hot in Arizona

I have the 1150 RT; am (5'9"). Wind noise was bad on stock bike; replaced helmet (the other was old) and the noise was worse than before.

Added the Cee Baily 3" taller 1" wider, but with the flip up at the top. This has greatly reduced the ambiant air noise with the same new helmet. Also finding the I adjust the windshield often for different riding conditions and speeds; the stock shield was set at highest setting and never adjusted.

My shield also is the European cut and it helps me see over the top.

Went through this process with my R11S. I'm 6'2" tall. Finally found some relief by hacking the OEM screen down low and wearing both fitted ear plugs AND a sweat cap (and BarBacks didn't hurt, either).

IMHO wind noise is actually turbulence hitting the bottom edge of the helmet. The sweat cap (winter size, not summer shorty) appears to dampen rumble by breaking up low frequency pressure cycles (oscillations) inside the helmet itself. BIG difference between with and w/o the skull cap!

This (to me) explains why no screen is quieter than the taller and taller screens: the spill of air over the top and top-corners of screens slams right into the bottom of your helmet and sets up a low frequency "whistle" if you will. Low screens let this turbulence hit your chest, putting the entire helmet in "clean" air flow.

Back