• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vaccum in crankcase?

basketcase

What's that noise...?
This afternoon I removed the oil filler cap to add a snort to the K, and noticed a vaccum in the crankcase.

Granted, I parked it hot, and our weather has turned winter-time cold since I last rode.

I can see where it would be reasonable ... the engine is hot, gases are expanded, and then when it cools, the pressure drops, creating a vaccum inside. But I don't recall ever having such a vaccum in the K100 or the K75.

Is this (vaccum) a normal occurence, or do I need to be nosing around for some type of "issue?"

Thanks in advance,
RM

vac. in crankcase

It's a wonderful thing to have such a tied engine.I would be happy about it.How many miles are on the engine?:)

This makes me wonder if your crankcase breather hose is clogged. Then again I have no experience with these newer models (which based on the mileage I presume you have). I don't know if they have any type of valve, but the early model I had did not, which means that if my old K had a vacuum condition in the case it would equalise through that tube since it's connected to the intake plenum and the pressure flow in from the outside would only be slightly restriced, but certainly not blocked.
Of course you can also look at it this way- if it's holding that vacuum fairly well, then that vacuum isn't finding a place to suck in things that don't belong inside. But do make sure your crankcase venting is functioning properly.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Well, I do know a K will not run properly with the filler cap off the crankcase.

- I don't have any leaks.

- It is not using any more oil than usual (about a half-quart per thousand miles).

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Which reminds me, I forgot my meds this morning. :boldpurpl

Bye.

Back