• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100S Website

Support your local dealer. Then maybe you won't have to wait two weeks for points and a condenser.

My local dealer doesn't support parts for Airheads. If I order through the local dealer, the wait is just as long for the parts, the price is 30% more, and I have to pay sells tax. 'Nuff said.
Murphy

My local dealer doesn't support parts for Airheads. If I order through the local dealer, the wait is just as long for the parts, the price is 30% more, and I have to pay sells tax. 'Nuff said.
Murphy

Too bad. BMW is big on tradition and I think dealers should do likewise. My dealer does, but of course it goes both ways. If the customers order from a discount dealer who doesn't stock but orders when they get the part sold, then the dealer isn't going to be encouraged to stock parts either. It's not always about money. Many dealers do care, but need the support of their customer base too.

While we are on the subject of curiosities, does anybody know why the speedometer on my 1981 R100RT only goes up to 90 mph while all the years before and after the speedo goes to 140 mph??? Light on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

While we are on the subject of curiosities, does anybody know why the speedometer on my 1981 R100RT only goes up to 90 mph while all the years before and after the speedo goes to 140 mph??? Light on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It was required by same U.S. law that mandated 85 mph speedos in cars. The good news is they are supposed to be more accurate than the 140 mph units.

Murph,
Any new news on your CAFE project? I have a question on the shocks, I have the same you bought from Vech on the /7, but no paperwork on them, the numbers you can dial in on the top of them, how is the order? 1 is softest or hardest? thanks.

Murph,
Any new news on your CAFE project? I have a question on the shocks, I have the same you bought from Vech on the /7, but no paperwork on them, the numbers you can dial in on the top of them, how is the order? 1 is softest or hardest? thanks.

Rui - the numbers were printed IN the box and were part of the inside box material. I had to tear mine out and save them. Here's a list of what's on there:

Torque tightening values for mounting nuts and bolts:
M8 = 15ft lbs
M10 = 30 ft lbs
M12 = 48 ft lbs

Damping Adjustment on Disc:
1 = smooth damping under modest load
2= solo and pillion passenger use on average/good roads
3 = sporting solo or passenger with luggage
4= heavier adjustment than strictly nescessary (I swear it says that).

As for the paint... I e-mailed my painter yesterday to see if he had gotten any work done and if so if he could send pictures. Here's what he wrote back:

Murph,
Your slot in the work cue came up this weekend. Sprayed the 2 small side covers yesterday evening, despite knowing the bug risk and they turned out well enough and I had paint left, so I went ahead and sprayed the front fender.
BTW, just so you know, I spend about 3 more hours sanding on the parts
to get all the shine off and to level the orange peel. I used 180 dry
paper and then followed with 320 and then StotchBrite.
This morning I was up and was spraying paint at 6:00 a.m. to avoid the
bugs. Got the rear fender done and the steel part around the seat.
With luck I'll spray the fuel tank and headlight cowl tomorrow morning.
I'm spraying with a new touch up gun that Missy got me for Christmas. It
was a cheap little gun, gravity feed, designed for touch up work, but it
is working great for these small parts. If I had been using my full
production gun I'm sure I would have run the paint already. But this
little gun really atomizes the paint nice and it really slicked the
paint out well.

But it is all worth it when you see the shine one gets with Imron.
Durability is second to none.

Oh, I got the label off the back fender, so you'll want to go ahead and
order a replacement.

Be thinking about how you are going to transfer your 7 BMW parts back
home. I'll let them toughen a week of so before even thinking about
bringing them here. You are going to need lots of soft sheets to cradle
the parts. Bath towels are too rough. Bed linens are much better. Your
wife may have a fit, but the parts are super clean and nothing will get
dirty.

New Imron will scar very easily until it sets up hard, and generally
really cold weather sets it up fully. I really don't like to handle it
for a week min. It will even pick up the grains in your thumb prints for
the first week or so. This new mini spray gun let me put one hell of a slick finish on these parts. You are going to see any scuffs you put on them like a zit on
Miss America, so great care will be to be exercised in transport. I
can't overemphasize this enough.

My preference would be for you to meet me at my house and pick the parts
up there. That's a bit of extra driving for you, but the ride in my
truck is bouncy in the seats and the seats are the only space I can
carry these parts on. All that bouncing and shaking will fret and scar
paint. I'm betting we can pack them better in the back of your Honda
Element.

All this is putting the cart before the horse a bit. I still have a fuel
tank and cowl to paint. Lets keep our fingers crossed they turn out well.

I had the camera in hand this morning and was going to take
pictures, but I thought HEHEHE, I'm gonna make him suffer, so I put the
camera up without taking any. :)
You'll just have to wait until "Christmas morning" to get your pressy.
Suffer on Garth.
Curt
P.S. Actually I was going to be even more deviant. I was going to take
pictures and send them to Lain with instructions to tell you how good
the parts look, but not to forward the pictures. But I thought that
would be cruel and inhumane. ;-)
But there is always tomorrow!

Your painter sounds talented, but he has a mean streak! Maybe you can get the local florist or produce guy to let you park in the walk-in cooler so you don't have to wait for cold weather to harden the paint.

Your painter sounds talented, but he has a mean streak! Maybe you can get the local florist or produce guy to let you park in the walk-in cooler so you don't have to wait for cold weather to harden the paint.

Don't give me ideas like that!!! Geez... now I'm scheming all kinds of cooler thoughts!!:thumb

Oh, I got the label off the back fender, so you'll want to go ahead and
order a replacement.

I like the way he just writes it like that..."go ahead and order a replacement" :laugh

Thanks for the info Murph.

P.S. You should clear out your refrigerator and put the parts in there....I'm sure the wife would not mind...just get her some jewelry first!

I took the family surfing this past weekend. It took my mind off the parts for a while. Now, to see if I get to pick them up this week!
Murph

How far of a drive is it for you to go Surfing??? I am at an Air Force School here in Biloxy MS (Keesler AFB), no bike tear down for 2 weeks...:cry

How far of a drive is it for you to go Surfing??? I am at an Air Force School here in Biloxy MS (Keesler AFB), no bike tear down for 2 weeks...:cry

Well - if we want to go to South Carolina's best wave... that's in Folly beach, and it takes about 2.5 hours. We went to Myrtle Beach, where my parents have a Condo (read FREE there) - and that takes about 3.5 hours.

I got my painted parts back!!! I'll update the website with glossy new photos for everyone after work Wednesday.

Rui - With my seat Cowl here now, I'll be referencing your photo's to bolt up the seat. Thanks again for going to the extra measure of detaling those photo's! How did you do that anyway??? It's was nice!
Murph

I got my painted parts back!!! I'll update the website with glossy new photos for everyone after work Wednesday.

Rui - With my seat Cowl here now, I'll be referencing your photo's to bolt up the seat. Thanks again for going to the extra measure of detaling those photo's! How did you do that anyway??? It's was nice!
Murph

Outstanding! I will have to compare between the matted paint and the nice glossy pictures.

No problem with the picture help. As far as detailing, it comes with the Flickr account, you can do much more but I was in a hurry. Leave a note when you have the Website updated. Cheers, got to go :eat

Ohhhh and "Free Condo at Myrtle Beach" Niceeeeeeee

New Update to the Project R100S is up! Picture's of the new parts can be seen here:
http://www.projectbmwr100s.com/projectbmwr100s/July_18th_2007.html

- Murphy

Murph,
Wow, Looks great, I guess your painter wasn't impressed with your sanding skills, don't worry, when my parts are ready for sanding I'll send them to you...so you can get more experience...I know I know... don't fret, I'll Fedex the parts, so you don't have to wait so long...and I won't even charge you for the experience your getting!:dance

Back