• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100S Website

MurphyPeoples

I just wanted to invite everyone to visit my new "website". It's really a blog I've started, to document the restoration of a R100T into an R100S. I just lifted it off the ground, and I'll be adding to it every other day.

I wanted to invite my friends here to visit and give me some polite feedback.
Thanks for looking.

Murphy

www.projectbmwr100s.com

Very nice. Share all the details you have time and willingness to share. I hope to do something similar someday and it would be nice to know what I am really in for in time and expense.

Thanks for sharing your work. I am just up the road if you need a hand with anything. I'll ride your way since you don't have a seat!

Great site
I live in South Carolina also, stationed at Shaw AFB (Sumter). I have recently (last weekend) purchased a 1977 R100/7 and am currently working the logistics of getting it restored. I am curious about where you acquire all your parts...I have found a few places. As far as the frame, I am going to get it powder coated but I'm not sure about the tank and fenders...I need to find a good painter that can do pin stripping...anyways, great job with the website and I will check periodically for updates. Cheers and best of luck.

Great site
I live in South Carolina also, stationed at Shaw AFB (Sumter). I have recently (last weekend) purchased a 1977 R100/7 and am currently working the logistics of getting it restored. I am curious about where you acquire all your parts...I have found a few places. As far as the frame, I am going to get it powder coated but I'm not sure about the tank and fenders...I need to find a good painter that can do pin stripping...anyways, great job with the website and I will check periodically for updates. Cheers and best of luck.

I just updated the "Links" page on the website after receiving permission from several folks. Anyhow, like another post says... you can buy parts from ANY BMW dealer... but not all dealers will price you the same. Simply put... Chicago BMW has had the cheapest prices on MOST parts. But you need to be prepared to wait for shipping. But the best customer service and FASTEST shipping comes from Bob's BMW - they've got alot of good folks in customer service over there. Vech over at Bench Mark Works has the line on the Icon's shocks - while the other two mentioned above do not. Anyhow- check the links as they'll shoot you over to the websites.

Funny thing... I haven't gotten Chicago BMW's permission yet to link, and as a matter of fact I was told that I need to MAIL IN WRITING a request. (Yeah, right). And Hey! Good luck on the '77!
Murph

What a great site! The R90S I bought last year was in desperate need of updating. Fortunately, There was no rust on the frame, so I didn't have to paint it. But I did remove the Luftmeister fairing, get a 'S' fairing, new windshield, get new front and rear shocks, new tires, battery, new Corbin seat, polish the Lester wheels and repaint the bike. Whew! Someday I'll post a before and after picture.....I look forward to more updates and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

So where are the painted parts????? I need to get mine done also, my tank is a concern though, the paint on the inside is flaking of by the gas cap. I was thinking of putting a plasma cutter to the bottom of it and opening it like a can of tuna then cleaning it up welding it back and there we have it....easier typed than done though.

So where are the painted parts????? I need to get mine done also, my tank is a concern though, the paint on the inside is flaking of by the gas cap. I was thinking of putting a plasma cutter to the bottom of it and opening it like a can of tuna then cleaning it up welding it back and there we have it....easier typed than done though.

Just did an update to the site today. Talked to the painter Friday (Bad News). He "tried" to paint the parts last weekend. But as he was shooting a thrunderstorm came up and the humidity levels shot up (I remember this storm, so I know he wasn't making excuses) . Anyhow you know where this is leading....
bad orange peel. So he's resanded and supposedly was going to shoot it yesterday. I'll know Monday.

BTW - you might REALLY want to consider the plasma cut. I have found NO tanks that are cheap... new or used. I think the effort would be worth the cost savings!
Post a picture of the job when you get the time!
Murph

Just did an update to the site today. Talked to the painter Friday (Bad News). He "tried" to paint the parts last weekend. But as he was shooting a thrunderstorm came up and the humidity levels shot up (I remember this storm, so I know he wasn't making excuses) . Anyhow you know where this is leading....
bad orange peel. So he's resanded and supposedly was going to shoot it yesterday. I'll know Monday.

BTW - you might REALLY want to consider the plasma cut. I have found NO tanks that are cheap... new or used. I think the effort would be worth the cost savings!
Post a picture of the job when you get the time!
Murph

Murph, looks like your keeping busy...I have also...buying parts that is. Fixed the odometer on my bike, the throttle was getting stuck half way though...it was little bent..don't know how but got that fixed also, put new carb cables and brake cable, my R100/7 came with a 2 into 1 muffler...I'm not sure if I like that, but I did find out someone put an electrical ignition on it (you know a question is coming)....so if there is an electrical ignition do I still need 1k ignition wires or 5k suggested for electrical ignitions? I think one of the ignition wires bad, when I disconnect it I feel a little tingle holding the wire, if I do the same on the other side there is no voltage leaking. I'm trying to get her all mechanically sound (so I can ride it to work), and in the winter I will take her all apart and do the paint job. Keep up the good work...it will give me a good reference page for winter.:bolt

Rui

Rui-
Nice Pic! It's amazing at the simularities that our bikes share. Except for the wire wheels, forks, and air box - they are identical. Which is exciting due to the fact that I've NOT been able to find an electronic ignition kit for a pre-1981 Airheads! So obviously I'm not going to be a help with your question!:dunno

I'm sure someone will chime in and I'll follow that with interest. I've "heard" that pre-1981 ignition systems were easy to adjust and very reliable... thus the reason there isn't an electronic conversion. Now it seems I've heard wrong... or that your system has been modified somehow. I'd love to see a shot of the system if you get a chance!
Murphy

Murph,
I'm crunched for time this week since it's the last week of the Semester for my Master's classes, I got 4 papers to go and 5 days to get them in...so I have been restricted from working on the bike until I get my school work done...:dunno
But before all this I checked the little orange box below the fuel tank and it's a BOYER BRANSDEN micro-digital ignition system KIT 00086 for BMW's pre 1979, it's an english based company and I checked the reviews...everyone is happy with the ones they have, the website is WWW.BOYERBRANSDEN.COM, I got the install instructions from there. There is one on Ebay for sale right now if I'm not mistaken. Next week I should be free from school until the next semester starts (2 weeks), then I will be able to get more info. So with all this rain, I'm sure your not getting your painted parts any time soon? Was it expensive? Cheers...

Rui

My dealer has them both (kinds) in stock. Twin City BMW in Savoy, IL 217 356 0399
I part time there...

Jack, thanks for the info, I just go a lock set from ebay, the key I have now is just for the ignition, once the other set comes in I will get extra keys...I saw your call sign (nice bike on QRZ)...I'm N7RKS...73

Rui:usa

Back