• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil change, rebuilt motor

T

tricyclerob

OK, here goes, although I feel like I could be opening a can of worms. I have a rebuilt engine in my '59 R69. Cylinder bore, pistons, rings, brngs, valve job, valves, springs, other parts too numerous to mention. Work was done by Vech. Runs great, and now with about 600 miles on it, seems to be breaking in nicely. After first 100 miles the heads were re-torqued and valves set. In the last 100 miles, smoothed out a bit, and seems to have more power now that it has loosened up a little. Is it too early for first oil change? Does anone run synthetic? And if so, I'm thinking 1 or 2 changes w/dino prior to synthetic, to insure complete break in. In regards to the dino oil, straight 30,40? 10-40?, 20-50[it's summer now] I hear a rocker "ticking" a little and, prior to about a 200 mile ride this wkend, am getting ready to do the valve adjust again, and was think this would be a good time for the oil change. Don't be shy, lets hear your opinion. thanks, rj

I did about the same thing on an R69S...slingers and top end overhaul. I might be somewhat anal about things, but here's what I did. I changed oil after the first 20 mile ride...check the torque/valves the next day. Ran it out to 200 miles post-rebuild...changed oil and check torque/valves. Got to 500 miles this past weekend...you got it, oil and check of torque and valves. I had initially set the valves loose, maybe 0.0085 exhaust or maybe even 0.009. At 500 miles, I set the valves back to nominal 0.006/0.008. Check torque but in all the checks, I haven't really seen any movement. I'll probably go at least 500 miles maybe 1000 before I change/check again.

I'm using 10w40 (BMW brand) here in S. Texas. I think the manual calls for 30w winter and 40w summer. I figure 10w40 works for both. I'm not a synth man...I prefer dino.

My bike also seems to be showing a little more oomph as the miles go by...maybe my death grip is loosening, realizing that it looks like I didn't screw anything up!!

rebuilt motor

Since Vech rebuilt the motor, I'd get his advice on what kind of oil to put in, and at what intervals, at this stage of the break in. He's done more than a few of them.

Enjoy your new motor. :)

Rinty

Last edited:
Rinty, I did call Vech, and they recomend the first oil change at 500 mi., using straight 40 wt. in the summer and 30wt. in colder weather. I did find Valvoline at one supplier, but the selection of straight viscosity oil is very limited, if fact that was all they had. It was very hard to walk past all the syn. and syn.blends, esp. after the rather extensive review of oils done by "Motorcycle Consumer News", where syn. did better in almost every catagory. But, I would not switch to syn.On the other hand, I see ads in "Hemmings " for oils designed for older and antique vehicles, that should not be using detergent oils. I read somewhere, but have not had a chance to investigate further, that w/the slingers, and no filter, you really don't want particals to remain in suspension, but rather to settle to the bottom of the pan, to be cleaned out where the pan is removed and cleaned every so many miles. what to do, what to do? rj

Age old question which no definitive answer...we all have to find something that "works for us." About the only thing that I think is important enough to consider is the API rating of the oil. Typical oils off the shelf are meant for vehicles with catalytical converters and with tolerances meant to extract the most energy from the engine (recent "energy saving" oil). To accomodate that, the ratings have gone to SL/SM etc., and the net results is some of the anti-corrosion features (ZDDP for one) of older rated oils have been removed. BMW's oil, supposedly made by Spectro, is SG and still contains good additives for our bikes. I've recently seen Castrol oil in 20w50 with this same rating.

As for in suspension or not, I don't really see how the oil has that much time to "come to rest" so the stuff could settle out. I just got my slingers cleaned in my R69S...done at 30K miles and they were 3/4 full. I figure I'll never put 30K miles on it in my lifetime, so it's someone else's problem. :nyah

vintage motor

Rob:

I agree, the straight grade oils are not as readily available as the newer multi grades and specialty oils. But if I had a '59, I think I would just stock up on straight grade and keep using that.

Rinty

oil change

special order single viscosity oil------------------cheap

motor rebuild...again-------------------------------expensive

Friedle
rider of old bikes

Back