• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wisconsin State Tutorial

Sue

Friend of the Marque
Posted on behalf of Tom VanHorn, from Madison Wisconsin.... who can't seem to figure out how to log onto the forum. :)

For all you upcoming visitors to Wisconsin/Ouisconsin/Meskousing/Badger State:

To assist in your getting around, some of us locals y'know dere thought we'd offer a short tutorial on some of the things found on the state map.

The first Europeans to infest the place were French [Jean Nicolet arrived at the foot of Green Bay wearing Chinese silks, sure he was in the Orient. He didn't ask directions either. :D So, French and mangled native names are pretty common, and often hard to wrap your tongue around.

So, how 'bout a chance to impress the locals when asking directions?
Choose the one best answer.

1) Oconomowoc (town, Waukesha county)
a) Oh-ko-NO-moe-walk
b) Oh-CON-oh-moe-walk
c) On-account-a-WHAT?

2) Chequamegon (forest and bay up nort' dere)
a) Check-wa-MEE-gun
b) Sha-WAH-mi-gun
c) Shi-CAH-go

3) Muscoda (river town, Grant county)
a) Muss-KO-duh
b) MUS-kuh-day
c) MUSS-el-SHOALs

4) Lac Court Oreilles (flowage and reservation, again up nort')
a) Lack-cort-o'riles
b) La-COO-duh-ray
c) Lack-curds-O'Reilly

5) Namekagon (lake and river up nort')
a) Nuh-ME-cage-in
b) Nah-muh-KAH-gun
c) La-Crosse

6) Manitowoc (lake Michigan port)
a) Munny-toe-wick
b) MAN-ih-toe-walk
c) Man-t'woc, dere

Place your test sheets in front when completed. No help from youse locals.

Don't forget...

Dont forget Theresa:

a)ter-ee-sa (as in Mother Theresa)

b)ther-e-sa (as in Solomon Juneau's Daughter)

c)widmer's cheese (as in the best Brick cheese in the world)

:drink

:eat

Having grown up in Alabama, I can assure you that Mussel Shoals in nowhere near Grant county. Except for that one, I answered C for all as well. :nyah

And I can't wait to get up there and start asking directions and collecting those oh-so-precious stares that say, "you're not from 'round here, are ya?" as if there was something I could do about that fact. I'll smile proudly and hope to learn something. :)

Back