• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This just in: R / K Recall

gsanderson

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
BMW / K SERIES 2001-2004

BMW / R SERIES 2000-2002 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V028000 Recall Date : JAN 15, 2004
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 39000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE O-RING CONTAINED WITHIN THE FUEL LINE QUICK-DISCONNECT COUPLING COULD BECOME DAMAGED. THERE IS ALSO A PROBLEM INVOLVING CRIMP-TYPE HOSE CLAMPS, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A SMALL FUEL LEAK.
Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, ADJUST ALL CRIMP-TYPE HOSE CLAMPS. ALSO ALL FUEL LINE QUICK-DISCONNECT COUPLINGS WILL BE INSPECTED. IF A LEAK IS DETECTED, THE QUICK-DISCONNECT O-RING WILL BE REPLACED. IF DAMAGED, THE COUPLING WILL BE REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONÔÇÖS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Apparently the recall doesn't really address what is wrong:
The crimp style clamps are krap and the disconnects should be upgraded. Hopefully someone doesn't suffer burns from this flaw
I for one will be doing it on my own time with my own $

Brooksie,

Funny, that was exactly the thoughts I posted on the Adv Rider site. Sheesh.....

Back