• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need luggage rack for r12rt 49 liter top case

Does anyone know if there is a luggage rack that will fit the 49 liter top case of a r1200rt? we would like to do some two up camping. Everything fits except the two Kermit chairs so I would like to strap them to a rack. Thanks!

I'd like to get a rack as well. I've tried Givi and two from HD neither one cleared the padded top.

Like the saddlebags, the BMW 49 liter case is double walled. I doubt that you can safely mount any type of rack without compromising the structural integrity of the case lid.

You might gain more space by leaving the topcase off and using a large, waterproof duffel instead.

Bungee Buddies

I have the large case on my RT and installed 4 bungee buddies that work great.
I am sure you could carry your chairs on top, my wife will not camp but they are handy for our riding coats when the temp. goes up.:p

gpodzo

"Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night."

Racks on Both My BMW Trunks

I too like the option of a greater carrying capacity when out of town on multi-day trips. I ordered the GIVI trunk rack ($79) twice - mounted one on the 28 litre BMW trunk, and also on the 49 litre BMW trunk.

Yes, there is a pad on the top of the 49 litre trunk, and the luggage rack (black) makes contact with it, but then, no one ever sat on the top of my trunk, so I wasn't quite sure why a pad was there in the first place!

Ordered them from TwistedThrottle.com

Good luck!

Last edited:
What model number did you use? Can you post the measurements between the posts? I might try the Givi again, one I tried you would have drilled through the pad.

Truck rack for 49L

I bought one made by Suzuki, who fit nice on the 49L top case.

I bought in Quebec City from Gaetan Moto a Suzuki dealer for 45$Can, he have some in stock. http://www.gaetanmoto.com/coordonnees.html

Measure is : 17.5 inches x 7.5 inches and 2 inches hight perfect fit.

Attachments

• top_case_rack.jpg
    top_case_rack.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 147
Maltais,

Is that an motorcycle or ATV rack? I'm having difficulting reading the website that your link goes to and I can't find a part number. :dunno

Thanks for posting that picture. It does look like a great fit.

Back