• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First bike ever 07 K12GT

P

propel

I am new here. I take delivery of a new K12GT with xenon, esa, etc. on Monday. I had my dealer break it in for me as I do not live close by. I even got the 49L topcase painted the same Blue Metallic. They are delivering it to my home.

I live out in the boonies on private lake so I can learn the bike slowly and safely. I did take the safety course to be prepared for the world at large. I assume it will be long while before I drive it far from the house.

The reason it took so long to get the bike was the wife factor. She finally relented and so I bought it earlier this month. It will be all mine too. :)

So..... any advice for someone like me?

First bike ever? You got a K12GT? Now, that's what I call a great start into the bike world. My first bike was a 1976 70cc Suzuki.

That is a lot of motorcycle for a 'first time ever'! If you are not in pretty good shape I would recommend joining a gym or a Pilates class. Preventing a bike that size from going all the way down in the garage/driveway/parking lot can be very hard on your body, not to mention righting one that has tipped over.
If this is not your first bike, well just nevermind. ;)

My first bike was a used Honda 305 Scrambler. Yes, I dropped it a few times and was thrown off a few times do to foolish behavior. Bruce

Last edited:
Similar Beginning

Propel, I had a similar beginning on my "04" R1150RS. I hope you don't have problems with giggling when you first twist the throttle, as this 56 year olf guy had. Still do have those problems. Be wise at all times.

yes, first ever

I know it is a lot for a first bike and I was told that but I am careful. I am in very good shape as I have a home gym that I use 5 times a week. I am 49 and maybe it is a midlife thing but I am going to take it easy and have fun learning.

I got all the safety gear too as it was a requirement from you know who. I have a Arai RX7 Corsair helmet which I found the most comfortable. While in my safety class it rained hard all day but we still continued the class. Water drops were coming in from the vents I think. It was a fun class and I learned a lot.

I hope never...

to drop it. But sometimes things happen and you deal with it. Like sepaku for instance. :)

Take the Basic Motorcycle Course and have fun!!

Oh by the way, if you decide to become an airplane pilot, I want to know what your first plane will be.

Easy :german

Get thee to a track day. Careful or not, the things you might instinctively do might also kill you.

Ride it for a couple months, then go to something like Reg Pridmore's CLASS.

keep training

Propel,

My recomendation is to familiarize yourself with your new KGT - put a few hundreds of miles on it - then take an Experienced Riders Course. This will create confidence in your ability to control the bike and identify areas where your skills need work.

Most of all, ride safe and have fun!:thumb

Peterh

Thanks

Thank you for the replies that is why this site is so good. I am not sure if they have more advanced riding classes out here in Iowa. I know I would be very interested.

ERC courses

Google, "MSF Iowa Experienced Rider Course." You'll find some, though I don't know if they are close to your or not.

good luck!

Wow, first bike! It can be done. I would hope you would check out this site as it has a lot of useful safety tips as well as tips on how to control your bike. http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.asp You can spend days and never get through the tip section.
You have to have ridden some sort of motorcycle though, right? If you have any questions at all in skills or safety this forum will cover it. Please check it out.

Paid for the bike yesterday.

I have been reading the owners manual for the last few hours. The bike will be delivered Monday in the afternoon. I looked it over and the topcase was painted to match. Looks very nice. I got the headlight cover too.

Thank you for the link and the info. I went to check the site but it seems the site is down. I will check again later.

Ditto on the above advice.

You have just bought a WHOLE LOTTA bike. IF it is indeed your first bike ever, I suggest you take advantage of whatever instructional venues are available to you in or even remotely near your home turf. This bike will accelerate from zero to big trouble in less than 4 secs. It's not something you can learn in the driveway at home or just cruising town.

My advice:

1) Get some training. Do it yourself learning can be expensive and hazardous to your health.
2) Buy AND wear a good helmet and other protective gear. You won't get a chance to call time out and suit up when trouble strikes.
3) Lighting and reflectivity can make you a LOT safer to those who wouldn't otherwise see you. Anything you can do to improve your visibility is a HUGE advantage (even your helmet color makes a BIG difference ... dark colors are more prone to be missed by other drivers).
4) Expand your riding horizons slowly. Temper your bravery with your experience.
5) Have FUN !!!

Ummm...do your self a huge favor and go buy a 125cc Suzuki dual sport bike for $2500 brand new. You can actually learn how to make intentional mistakes on the small bike and recover from them. To be honest, I think a K1200 as a first bike is just asking for trouble.

Back