Thread: K75 and switched power

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

K75 and switched power

Am adding a GPS to my K75. Looking for a convenient spot to pick up 12 volts switched with key.

Any suggestions? So far only the headlight seems a likely candidate.

Blocking the slow lane
    The hot side of the starter relay is what I use. Its a protected connection under the gas tank, and you can put a big fat ring terminal on it. Yes, I know its overkill for a tiny draw like the GPS.

If you don't have heated grips, there is an empty two-prong connector under the tank which is also switched.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Excellent suggestion. The tiny draw of the GPS will never be missed.

Thank You!

Blocking the slow lane
    And you know, since the gas tank will be off and you'll be crimping wires anyway, this is an excellent time to add headlight relays.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Tapping into Heated Grip Wires for Switched Power for GPS

I was reading this post and 1) not sure where my solenoid switch is under the seat, unless it's that big metal Bosch box towards the front beneath the tank.

What happens if I tap into and splice my GPS wires to the heated grip wires. I can't imagine I'll be blowing fuses by drawing too much power with both GPS and heated grips on at same time.

Thoughts?

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    What happens if I tap into and splice my GPS wires to the heated grip wires. I can't imagine I'll be blowing fuses by drawing too much power with both GPS and heated grips on at same time.

Thoughts?
    The heated grips wires are thin and fragile. Don't do it.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Won't Do It

Thanks, Jon for your post - I wasn't sure where the starter relay was but found it under the electrical box. I'll just mount it there as you suggested.

As normal, I will be the contrarian.

Don't use switched power for your GPS.

It will become a nuisance, and limit some of the things the GPS can do for you. Every time you stop for gas or to eat or for anything else the GPS will need your attentiuon. If it has a live battery it will shut itself off after xx seconds unless you remember to push a button. When you are ready to go again you will need to turn it on.

If you decide you want to know your overall average speed, or stopped time - since it may have been off the speed and times won't be accurate.

I would hook it up to unswitched power. Should you inadvertantly leave it on, it will take a few days to run the battery down so I don't consider this a big risk.

Just my two-cents. Others like switched power. I don't, at all for a GPS.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    As normal, I will be the contrarian.

Don't use switched power for your GPS.

It will become a nuisance, and limit some of the things the GPS can do for you. Every time you stop for gas or to eat or for anything else the GPS will need your attentiuon. If it has a live battery it will shut itself off after xx seconds unless you remember to push a button. When you are ready to go again you will need to turn it on.

If you decide you want to know your overall average speed, or stopped time - since it may have been off the speed and times won't be accurate.

I would hook it up to unswitched power. Should you inadvertantly leave it on, it will take a few days to run the battery down so I don't consider this a big risk.

Just my two-cents. Others like switched power. I don't, at all for a GPS.
    I must agree. I had a GPS on switched power and was continually having to push the button to keep it on at stops. Also when starting the unit would come on when the key was switched on it would go off when the starter button was pressed because the load shedding relay would cut the power. Beep,Beep it was annoying and I don't know how hard to was on the unit to continually turn on and off.

Because I don't like switched power doesn't mean it's better, just better for me.

Something to consider.

Ralph Sims

+2 for Paul's suggestion.

My current Nav-III is wired to the BMW GPS wiring, which switches off after about 30 seconds after the key goes off. PITA. Used to have it setup to my unswitched Centech fuse panel, and I think it's gonna go back to it.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!