• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on 2005RT ESA (electronic suspension adjustment)

B

BYRONLATTER

At this time and for some time I have been shopping for a 2005 or 2006 1200RT.
(anybody got one for sale?)

The 1200RT had great reviews, and the short test ride, proved to be very satisfying.

Question: What has your experience been with ESA supension. Does it add a lot to the riding experience? Without ESA can the suspension still be adjusted in the same manner? If so how diffcult is it to manually adjust the suspension? And for those of you who have had ESA how often and when do you use it? Is it worth it? Thank-you Byron Latter. Flint Michigan 810.767.9243

At this time and for some time I have been shopping for a 2005 or 2006 1200RT.
(anybody got one for sale?)

The 1200RT had great reviews, and the short test ride, proved to be very satisfying.

Question: What has your experience been with ESA supension. Does it add a lot to the riding experience? Without ESA can the suspension still be adjusted in the same manner? If so how diffcult is it to manually adjust the suspension? And for those of you who have had ESA how often and when do you use it? Is it worth it? Thank-you Byron Latter. Flint Michigan 810.767.9243

I use the ESA quite a bit. Super slab, I use the "comfort" setting. Or when two up w/ the wife: aka, she who must be obeyed.

The "sport" setting really show's it's usefulness in the tight stuff. "Sport" really feels tight and connected when the pace geets fast!

I use the "normal" when I cruising, taking it easy on the back roads.

It's easily changed to suit the situation; from comfort, normal, to sport, and back, on the fly. I got it as a bundle of options on a show model, and the price was great.

Len
R1200ST Grey/Silver "Zeit Geist"

It is a convenient way to adjust the suspension. If you like to vary your riding, ride with and without a passenger or vary the load you carry, it comes in very handy.

Take care; it puts additional height on the bike. So if you are vertically challenged, you might want to think otherwise.

Welcome to the forum!

Easy :german

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president."
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

ESA Basically Two Settings For Me

I have 14,000+ miles on my 2005 R1200RT now, including two visits to the Tail of the Dragon in NC.

Even riding "The Dragon," I found the NORMAL setting superior to the SPORT setting - on SPORT, the suspension felt too rigid, and I feel I had more control in the NORMAL mode.

I ride in NORMAL whenever alone, and simply switch to COMFORT when I have a passenger or have packed heavy for a multi-day trip.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back