• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to Beemers...a few?

B

burmbuster

Hi. I'm new to the club as well as the bikes. I have narrowed the models down to wanting a K1200GT. No, I havent purchased it yet. I am now torn between buying a new one or buying one a few years old with more accessories already on it. I wouldnt want anything older than a 2004 or is that a bad year? What changes have been significant from then to now? It's a tough choice and I would appreciate a little guidance from current owners.

Regards,
Brad

I'm a newby,too

Brad,
From one newby to another, welcome. Everybody here is really nice and full of knowledge as well as other stuff.

I recently went down the same path you are on and came to the same fork; new or used. I chose used for several reasons; not the least of which was price. Besides, one of the things you will learn about BMW owners is that as a group, we take care of our rides. My feeling is that most of us believe it would be a sin to allow such fantastic machines to be anything less than all they can be. Therefore, buying used is really not that great a risk. I moved into the K1200RS world and wanted to learn the bike on one that already had a scratch (albeit, a very small one) so that traumatic event was behind me. It took me over four months to find "the one", but I did, and I love her.

Happy hunting.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Glad to hear you made the right choice. I, too, am in no super big hurry so I guess time will tell.

Brad

K1200gt

It's a tough choice and I would appreciate a little guidance from current owners.

I just sold a K1100LT and an R1150GS Adventure and purchased a brand stinkin' new K1200GT. Here's my 2 cents worth:
Get a K1200GT 2006 or 2007. You can find them new and used. Don't get the 1200 "brick", there are too many changes that you want in the new ones.

You will be very impressed. Get a radar detector, too.

Don't listen to him...get an "old" GT 02-04. Forget the new technology, you can save 8 grand and get more "ooohs and ahhhhs" - from yourself and the crowd that gathers at the gas stop. :D

Depends on your budget and how "Techy" you are. If you want to spend $18K and like the newest model of anything, get a new one. If you want to spend $9K and want a powerful, comfortable ride, with tons of available aftermarket stuff, get an '03-'04. I went with a '00 K1200RS because the checkerboard paint scheme ended in '01 and I love the yellow/grey paint. I can keep up with my buddies who ride 1100cc rice burners, can stay in the saddle for 10 hour days, and can afford the insurance without even thinking about it. The extra 30+ HP on the newer model sounds nice, but I can get myself in trouble with the 130 I have............

My 2 1/2 cents:)

HI :wave and welcome!
It is all about 'what's in your wallet' and personal choice. My suggestion would be to ride a few bikes of your choice and see what you like best for your riding style.
Try to look into the crystal ball and seen what you want to do a year or two from now as well and base your choice on that too.
Good hunting!:D

Similar Situation

I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago but it was between FJR, GT, and Connie. I chose the 07 GT and couldn't be happier. I've had it eactly 7 days and have 625 miles on it. My only complaint would be hand cramps from either body position or due to the thin grips. I probably just need to toughen up but my right hand goes numb everytime I'm out...

you're right!

Depends on your budget and how "Techy" you are. If you want to spend $18K and like the newest model of anything, get a new one. If you want to spend $9K and want a powerful, comfortable ride, with tons of available aftermarket stuff, get an '03-'04. I went with a '00 K1200RS because the checkerboard paint scheme ended in '01 and I love the yellow/grey paint. I can keep up with my buddies who ride 1100cc rice burners, can stay in the saddle for 10 hour days, and can afford the insurance without even thinking about it. The extra 30+ HP on the newer model sounds nice, but I can get myself in trouble with the 130 I have............

My 2 1/2 cents:)

I have an 07 and you're very correct about getting in trouble w/130 hp. I use maybe 50-60 of the 152 hp in my bike...:bikes

I think he has to make a decision first, which generation K1200GT he wants. The "brick" and the "transverse" four are as different as a Honda and a Harley .
I really think that part is a bit overstated. I ride both frequently and find the differences more incremental than revolutionary, bodywork aside. Both are really fast, the new one just faster and lighter. The "old" GT is drop-dead gorgeous and a joy on the highway (not such fun in parking lots, however). The brick 1200 is smooth, powerful and reliable. The new GT is a wonderful bike in all respects but one: too "RT-ish" for many of us...far less a sport tourer than the old one, moving more towards the sporty tourer type bike. I scrutinized a new one on Saturday sitting right next to an LT and I'll tell you, aside from the seat and top case, they have mighty similar profiles. When I get into the nursing home I'm going to get an LT. Might get a new GT sooner, however, but it's no direct replacement for the old one. They both share the same BMW logic and engineering, just different design goals.

Back