• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

intercom

LEEHENRY

Finally got my wife on the back of my bike! Hope I end up with a travel buddie. Can anyone recommend a rider to passenger communication system - prefer simple as in don't need cell phone, Ipod, GPS, radio, etc - just basic 2 way communication - preferably wireless.
Thanks!

I picked up a used Autocom Pro-M1.
Didn't even bother to hard wire it. Keep it in my tank bag.
Longer cable to passenger, I get the short one.

Get about 2-3 days of XM out of one 9 volt battery, I'd bet speech only would be much longer.

Installing the headsets are a snap. Get the windsocks too.

Works fine, but the new ones are pricey.

Autocom. That's all you need to know.

Actually, you need to know that you'll have to order a second mike and earphones for her helmet along with a connecting cable to connect her helmet to the second jack which should be mounted next to the rear seat. The Autocom will come with a set up for your helmet.

You'll love it . It works great !!

I'm almost finished with the Autocom mounting on my RT, and into the helmets.

I bought the kit that is set up for both rider and passenger. I also had to buy the power connection device that includes relay and fuse box, and kit that moderates the speaker input energy and extends the wiring. I energized the relay from the rear aux power harness, and velcroed the unit to the rear fender under the rear seat. Power is taken directly from the battery. I soldered into the speaker wires immediately outside the speaker boxes. A little tight for working, but they are together.

The helmets were another issue. Mine is a Shoei Multitech. In order to install the ear phones, I removed a bit of the black plastic, and smashed down the styrofoam. I then cut the wires, installed the ear phones, and fed the wires between the shell and the styrofoam, and out the back. I re-soldered the wires, and installed the rest of the stuff.

When I went into my wife's old concept helmet, it began falling apart. Tuesday, we shop for her helmet. I am thinking of the Nolan that is intercom ready. It might be easier, and it's a lot cheaper than the Shoei. I had to go with the shoei because I have a fat head. She doesn't. Actually, I don't know if the Nolan would fit me because I could never find an XL on the shelf to try.

I just took the bike for a ride. The music came in five square. I don't know how the intercom will perform, yet, but I have no reason to believe that it will be a problem. The VOX appears to be working properly as the music volume reduces as it should when I talk....albeit, to myself.

Before you install, make sure you ID right and left earphones. I didn't, and the outcome was why I don't gamble. 50/50, and I lost. I took everything out, and re-installed it. Probably wouldn't make a difference, but I knew it was wrong. Can't have that.

As an aside, while messing with the new Shoei helmet, I mistook the chin vent for the openning latch, and thought I was trapped in the helmet. I know there is a way to remove the face shield and chin piece, but I did not, of course, have the manual handy. Somewhere between that and shear panic, I realized my mistake, and removed the helmet. Can't have that, either. Makes my wife worry about me.

Good Luck

Gary

leehenry and ggfossen

Good information. I purchased a '06' RT last year with all the bells and whistles.
What a switch from an old die hard motorcyclist that remembers college days with a field jacket and open faced helmet in the Colorado mountains.
The AutoCom was next and Nolan N102's 2X for me and large for my wife.
I also purchased the switched that turns on and off the external speaks, a really nice touch. The setup installed in the helmets just great, great person to person clarity and of course all the variety of music or talk radio I want. CD doesn't work that great but with optional hook ups I can add a mp-3 player. What more could I want. . .who knows maybe next this old man will get a Garmin or TomTom.

gpodzo

Young riders pick a destination and go. . .
Old riders pic a direction and go.

So, what is wrong with 'Interphone Bluetooth Intercom'? Self contained units with no wires to bike or each other, communication up to 500 feet, less than $200 per person, good reviews, rechargeable batteries (7 hours constant use and much more time on standby). Only drawback I can see is that one pushes a button to activate and that doesn't bother me since I don't want her telling me where to go and when to get off all the time!
Lee

So, what is wrong with 'Interphone Bluetooth Intercom'? Self contained units with no wires to bike or each other, communication up to 500 feet, less than $200 per person, good reviews, rechargeable batteries (7 hours constant use and much more time on standby). Only drawback I can see is that one pushes a button to activate and that doesn't bother me since I don't want her telling me where to go and when to get off all the time!
Lee

If you only want rider to passenger communication, bluetooth could be the way to go, but if you want bike to bike, Autocom is the ticket. :thumb

Lee,

I don't know anything about the set you mention, but I did ask about Blue Tooth, in general. The response was that the batt life is too short. Not seven hours, though, that would be OK. Would have to carry the charger, though.

I also wanted the music into my helmet, and who knows what later on down the line. I can't see myself with GPS, but I said the same about cell phones, and we now have that.

Autocom can be blue tooth adapted at a later date, if they ever get good enough units.

Gary

The "factory" says that one sets up the rider/passenger connection, and then the connection is open - just talk away - and the battery will last 6 hours (less than advertised and I hope honest). In addition, if one pushes the button during the ride, the system goes into stand-by mode and lasts much longer. When one pushes the button again, your're connected again.
Assuming I am getting the strait scoop from the "factory", that's good enough for me.
Lee

If you only want rider to passenger communication, bluetooth could be the way to go, but if you want bike to bike, Autocom is the ticket. :thumb

Not true. Interphone Bluetooth is not marketing their device as bike to bike - I don't know why :dunno but it is excellent bike to bike. We did not loose signal until we lost visual! That is a good range.

Real time battery life was 5 hours at the highest volume setting. 8 hours at the low (default) setting. We carried one charger with us and added life to it at lunch time.

check the blueant web site and you will see that they do market it as bike to bike and rider to passenger
Lee

Not true. Interphone Bluetooth is not marketing their device as bike to bike - I don't know why :dunno but it is excellent bike to bike. We did not loose signal until we lost visual! That is a good range.

Real time battery life was 5 hours at the highest volume setting. 8 hours at the low (default) setting. We carried one charger with us and added life to it at lunch time.

I was relying on Lee's info, he stated that Blue tooth was good for 500 feet, that would be good for rider to passenger, but not so, bike to bike. Autocom in my opinion is the way to go. That does not qualify as a false statement, just that it works for me.:thumb

Last edited:
blueant intercoms

Ordered two 'blueant intercoms' yesterday - apparently only available through internet sellers so far. We shall see how they work. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.
Lee

Ok. I ordered the Blueant Interphones and got them today. Cool. Thanks for the tip SheRidesABeemer. They work well and I paired them to the Nav IIIs. I also paired the LG phones to the Nav IIIs. Now there's a company, LG, that could use a technical writer on pairing ops. Where is Robert Pursig when you need him.
Anyway, we tried the bike to bike and the Blueants work really well. Easy to operate once they are paired. Complicated pairing but it worked first time. Easy to find the up vol and the dn vol and the MFB (multifunctionbutton). The mic is attached to the speaker, so unlike the Cardo units, there is plenty of mic length to get it next to your mouth. Also it is ALREADY inside the helmet, so no playing with the mic to get it inside once you lower the chinbar (flip up Shoei Multitec's).

Now Viki can advise me bike to bike as we ride. When I finally stop at a turnout, no more Viki saying "I would say that I have been freezing my ... off but since the only thing I could turn on is my heated seat, my ... is the only thing that is warm...WHY DON'T YOU STOP when it gets cold?!!". That was in British Columbia in the rocks somewhere on our K12RS bikes with the heated seats...heh.

This should be good. 25 years without comm and now we got comm. Hmmm. This should be good. Hmmmmmmmm.

Blueant intercomm question

I tried a Cardio system and found they worked well. However, the diameter of the microphone is large relative to the space between my lips and helmet. What are your findings regarding this area for the Blueant?

I tried a Cardio system and found they worked well. However, the diameter of the microphone is large relative to the space between my lips and helmet. What are your findings regarding this area for the Blueant?

Did you put the small wind sock on it? With the small windsock, it is slightly smaller than the Interphone. The Interphone is long from the mic to the speaker and is more flexible to position. The Cardo ended up a little short of where I wanted it but had no issues with the size of it with the small sock. I do have a small issue with the Interphone since the wind sock is larger in diameter.

This should be good. 25 years without comm and now we got comm. Hmmm. This should be good. Hmmmmmmmm.

:laugh :laugh :laugh

you keep us posted on this new experience! :stick It has more pluses than negatives IMHO

Helen and I chat between bikes and some of the other couples say they would NOT want that option... we keep it simple...most of the time, clear/not clear... I need to STOP!!!Look at the ...
...she occasionally hits the VOX switch on her bars by mistake and I hear EVERYTHING...from rolling commentary of other drivers to a sing along from her IPOD/XM selections...have to make faces at her as I roll up close to her or pull up at next stop on switch side and put it in normal posiition..."How much did you hear?" comes across speakers....I just go' HEH-HEH-HEH" :brow

Back