Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: intercom

intercom

Finally got my wife on the back of my bike! Hope I end up with a travel buddie. Can anyone recommend a rider to passenger communication system - prefer simple as in don't need cell phone, Ipod, GPS, radio, etc - just basic 2 way communication - preferably wireless.
    Thanks!

I picked up a used Autocom Pro-M1.
    Didn't even bother to hard wire it. Keep it in my tank bag.
    Longer cable to passenger, I get the short one.

Get about 2-3 days of XM out of one 9 volt battery, I'd bet speech only would be much longer.

Installing the headsets are a snap. Get the windsocks too.

Works fine, but the new ones are pricey.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Autocom

I have the Active + and I am very pleased with the unit.

Autocom. That's all you need to know.

Actually, you need to know that you'll have to order a second mike and earphones for her helmet along with a connecting cable to connect her helmet to the second jack which should be mounted next to the rear seat. The Autocom will come with a set up for your helmet.

You'll love it . It works great !!

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Check out this posting, I have several reviews in here for the Interphone Bluetooth. I'm very happy with them. Good quality, easy to use. $189 ea.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

ggfossen
    I'm almost finished with the Autocom mounting on my RT, and into the helmets.

I bought the kit that is set up for both rider and passenger. I also had to buy the power connection device that includes relay and fuse box, and kit that moderates the speaker input energy and extends the wiring. I energized the relay from the rear aux power harness, and velcroed the unit to the rear fender under the rear seat. Power is taken directly from the battery. I soldered into the speaker wires immediately outside the speaker boxes. A little tight for working, but they are together.

The helmets were another issue. Mine is a Shoei Multitech. In order to install the ear phones, I removed a bit of the black plastic, and smashed down the styrofoam. I then cut the wires, installed the ear phones, and fed the wires between the shell and the styrofoam, and out the back. I re-soldered the wires, and installed the rest of the stuff.

When I went into my wife's old concept helmet, it began falling apart. Tuesday, we shop for her helmet. I am thinking of the Nolan that is intercom ready. It might be easier, and it's a lot cheaper than the Shoei. I had to go with the shoei because I have a fat head. She doesn't. Actually, I don't know if the Nolan would fit me because I could never find an XL on the shelf to try.

I just took the bike for a ride. The music came in five square. I don't know how the intercom will perform, yet, but I have no reason to believe that it will be a problem. The VOX appears to be working properly as the music volume reduces as it should when I talk....albeit, to myself.

Before you install, make sure you ID right and left earphones. I didn't, and the outcome was why I don't gamble. 50/50, and I lost. I took everything out, and re-installed it. Probably wouldn't make a difference, but I knew it was wrong. Can't have that.

As an aside, while messing with the new Shoei helmet, I mistook the chin vent for the openning latch, and thought I was trapped in the helmet. I know there is a way to remove the face shield and chin piece, but I did not, of course, have the manual handy. Somewhere between that and shear panic, I realized my mistake, and removed the helmet. Can't have that, either. Makes my wife worry about me.

Good Luck

Gary

intercom

Sounds like autocom it is
    Thanks all
    Lee

Rally Rat

leehenry and ggfossen

Good information. I purchased a '06' RT last year with all the bells and whistles.
    What a switch from an old die hard motorcyclist that remembers college days with a field jacket and open faced helmet in the Colorado mountains.
    The AutoCom was next and Nolan N102's 2X for me and large for my wife.
    I also purchased the switched that turns on and off the external speaks, a really nice touch. The setup installed in the helmets just great, great person to person clarity and of course all the variety of music or talk radio I want. CD doesn't work that great but with optional hook ups I can add a mp-3 player. What more could I want. . .who knows maybe next this old man will get a Garmin or TomTom.

gpodzo

Young riders pick a destination and go. . .
    Old riders pic a direction and go.

So, what is wrong with 'Interphone Bluetooth Intercom'? Self contained units with no wires to bike or each other, communication up to 500 feet, less than $200 per person, good reviews, rechargeable batteries (7 hours constant use and much more time on standby). Only drawback I can see is that one pushes a button to activate and that doesn't bother me since I don't want her telling me where to go and when to get off all the time!
    Lee

motorcycle cowboy roostershooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leehenry View Post
    So, what is wrong with 'Interphone Bluetooth Intercom'? Self contained units with no wires to bike or each other, communication up to 500 feet, less than $200 per person, good reviews, rechargeable batteries (7 hours constant use and much more time on standby). Only drawback I can see is that one pushes a button to activate and that doesn't bother me since I don't want her telling me where to go and when to get off all the time!
    Lee
    If you only want rider to passenger communication, bluetooth could be the way to go, but if you want bike to bike, Autocom is the ticket.
    2013 Goldwing

ggfossen
    Lee,

I don't know anything about the set you mention, but I did ask about Blue Tooth, in general. The response was that the batt life is too short. Not seven hours, though, that would be OK. Would have to carry the charger, though.

I also wanted the music into my helmet, and who knows what later on down the line. I can't see myself with GPS, but I said the same about cell phones, and we now have that.

Autocom can be blue tooth adapted at a later date, if they ever get good enough units.

Gary

The "factory" says that one sets up the rider/passenger connection, and then the connection is open - just talk away - and the battery will last 6 hours (less than advertised and I hope honest). In addition, if one pushes the button during the ride, the system goes into stand-by mode and lasts much longer. When one pushes the button again, your're connected again.
    Assuming I am getting the strait scoop from the "factory", that's good enough for me.
    Lee

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    If you only want rider to passenger communication, bluetooth could be the way to go, but if you want bike to bike, Autocom is the ticket.
    Not true. Interphone Bluetooth is not marketing their device as bike to bike - I don't know why but it is excellent bike to bike. We did not loose signal until we lost visual! That is a good range.

Real time battery life was 5 hours at the highest volume setting. 8 hours at the low (default) setting. We carried one charger with us and added life to it at lunch time.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

check the blueant web site and you will see that they do market it as bike to bike and rider to passenger
    Lee

motorcycle cowboy roostershooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Not true. Interphone Bluetooth is not marketing their device as bike to bike - I don't know why but it is excellent bike to bike. We did not loose signal until we lost visual! That is a good range.

Real time battery life was 5 hours at the highest volume setting. 8 hours at the low (default) setting. We carried one charger with us and added life to it at lunch time.
    I was relying on Lee's info, he stated that Blue tooth was good for 500 feet, that would be good for rider to passenger, but not so, bike to bike. Autocom in my opinion is the way to go. That does not qualify as a false statement, just that it works for me.
    Last edited by roostershooter; 06-07-2007 at 02:33 AM.
    2013 Goldwing