Thread: RS/RT Handlebars

bbmw

RS/RT Handlebars

My 1987 K100RS is giving me back and shoulder pain.
    I have installed bar backs and higher handlebars with little relief for the pain. I just want to sit up straighter.
    I have been in an on-going argument with my parts dealer about the RT or LT handlebars. Are they not swept back more than the stock RS bars? It sure looks like it from the pictures. The dealer disagrees with me and says I just need to buy another bike.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    I believe the RS seating position is 3/4 cafe racer. On the '87 LT the bars are higher and back. I have a 35" sleeve length, a fused neck, lumbar arthritis and the seating position is more comfortable than my wife's Tahoe. No kidding.

Try the bars, if don't work then another bike.

Recon the dealer's profit is higher on a new bike or new handlebars?

kayseventyfive
    Quote Originally Posted by bbmw View Post
    I have installed bar backs and higher handlebars with little relief for the pain. I just want to sit up straighter.
    What bars do you have on it now?

3 Red Bricks
    These bars were posted on ebay by a fellow MOA member:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...spagenameZWDVW

He posted an inquiry about them on this forum in the Airhead section. Last post 5/20

These could be adjusted to come quite a ways back, depending on how vertically they are set. ( l, /, _ )

If you don't win these, I might have a similar pair available in a couple of weeks.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

bbmw

Re: RS/RT Handlebars

Thanks guys for all the info.
    I measured the K100RT bars shown on Ebay and they are much longer than mine.
    And since I already purchased longer cables from the last upgrade, this "should" be a piece of cake. I hope.

guzzirider
    I have a '85 rt k bike and my dad has a '86 rs. The bars on a rt are wider and taller than a rs.I believe bmw calls the bars on the rt's," C" bars.They come on RT'S,LT'S and the standard naked bikes.The "c" bars provide a more upright riding position than the RS's bars.You may be able to just add the bars without getting new cables.

3 Red Bricks
    There are basically three bars for early Kbikes. Short (K75S, K100rs) Medium (K75C) and Tall (K75RT,K100LT)

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare