• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Steamy Subject....

HELP?????? I have a new Schuberth helmet that seem intent on fogging up all the time! I tried a CITY FOG lense incert...but no luck. It fogs up, too! Suggestions??? I am tired of getting a head cold everytime I ride with the lense propped forward.

I don't know anything about the Schuberth helmets, but I figure it has vents for defogging, similar to other helmets of the same type. My Shoei for example.

When I wear the Shoei, it fogs unless the K11 windshield is cranked all the way down.

Are you getting adequate wind on the face of the helmet to push a draft through the vents?

Schuberth fogging

Mr. GT,

Are you hinging your visor up or are you moving it forward a
notch?

Usually I can clear mine by moving the face shield forward a
notch, which is about 1/8". On a few occasions I do have to hinge
it up a notch or two which is a little airish.

There are some anti-fog solutions, but I have not tried any of them yet.

I also leave the vents open.

Gerald

My wife and I have Shuberth helmets and have had very little fogging even when riding in temps down to 18 Deg. Moving the shield forward seems to work better than raising it for me. We ride 03 K1200RSs with the windshield in the low position most of the time and get plenty of air on our helmets. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10". You may not be getting enough airflow on your helmet because of your taller windshield.

Fogging...

Well, I figured out the best way to cure the fogging problem with my Schuberth.....I bought a Nolan 100E Classic. What a waist!:snore

Mr. GT said:
HELP?????? I have a new Schuberth helmet that seem intent on fogging up all the time! I tried a CITY FOG lense incert...but no luck. It fogs up, too! Suggestions??? I am tired of getting a head cold everytime I ride with the lense propped forward.

Shouldn't do that. The inside of the shield has a coating just like the fog-city coating and is very resistant to fogging - even in a downpour.

I would have contacted your distributor and told them about the problem - there were some faceshields that had a problem with the inside coating, replaced at no cost..

Also - for real around-town riding - it is worth using the city position of the shield.. while the shield won't fog up - it the coating as it absorbs moisture does swell up a bit (just like Fog-City) and distort.

Re: Fogging...

Mr. GT said:
Well, I figured out the best way to cure the fogging problem with my Schuberth.....I bought a Nolan 100E Classic. What a waist!:snore

Your waist shouldn't effect the fogging at all.. :p

I own both - and the Nolan is OK with their snap-in anti-fog shield insert - but as with Fog City - I find the extra layer of plastic and two additional surfaces really bad at night (lots of halos around headlights).

Out of the two - the Shuberth is much better for me in regards to fog, and once you have used the flip-down sunshield - it's hard to go back to the Nolan.

Your Helmet Fogging May Vary (YHFMV)..

Use a RainX product called "Anti-Fog." Apply a coat, let it dry, buff it. Apply another, let it dry, buff it. Then breathe on it with your mouth open to get a LITTLE bit of moisture on it. Immediately buff it again and you're good to go for a week or more, depending if you commute every day and how far your commute is.

flash412 said:
Use a RainX product called "Anti-Fog." Apply a coat, let it dry, buff it. Apply another, let it dry, buff it. Then breathe on it with your mouth open to get a LITTLE bit of moisture on it. Immediately buff it again and you're good to go for a week or more, depending if you commute every day and how far your commute is.

Flash - great idea for a non-coated shield. Bad idea for one like Shuberth uses - which has an anti-fog coating on the inside. The coating on the inside is soft (gets softer when wet) and will scratch easily. The RainX stuff is likely to make a mess of it.. and undo the anti-fog properties of the Shuberth coating.

Would the Rain-x anti-fog stuff work on an Arai face shield?
I used the fog city insert which worked for aprox 1 year. Had to remove it and try something else. Bought a glass cleaner product at the Chicago bike show last week with claims that it was also good for anti-fog. Well , it doesn't fog, but it does get like a sweaty coating that you can't see thru. So I am back to riding in the AM cold with less than 100% vision unless face shield open and head freezing :( There must be something that works, is it rain-x anti-fog? Where can I get it ? autoparts store? need to be defogged in schaumburg, IL

Before you buy the rain-x read the directions. Their original product is not recomended for plastic and this may not be either.

Some time ago I read a review of the rain-x defogger that was quite negative. Products do change over time. I have had some luck using an aerosol "detailing" wax. Several brands are available.

I would recommend keeping the shield clean and adjusting the opening as needed for clear vision. opening the visor more at a traffic light to avoid accumulations of fogging will also help.

Have you tried the breath shield that Schuberth makes for their helmets? Once I installed mine it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Now it is a mount for my microphone, so at least I got some use. I wear my helmet a litte further down on the forehead then most, so maybe their breathguard insert would work for you.

Back