• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Car Ferry

swbell

Just a question about crossing a body of water on a Car Ferry. Has anyone done it? Would there be any concerns? Conditions would have to be right, but if the cycle was on the center stand it seems like it should work. I know I've cossed the Wisconsin River at Merrimac on route 113 just North of Lodi w/ my jeep before, wondered about doing it w/ the motorcycle. State Road 60 then takes you back to the Interstate. So either heading to or from W. Bend this might be a diversion.

I've cossed the Wisconsin River at Merrimac on route 113 just North of Lodi w/ my jeep before, wondered about doing it w/ the motorcycle. State Road 60 then takes you back to the Interstate. So either heading to or from W. Bend this might be a diversion.

No problem with your motorcycle. Smooth crossing. Price is right. Free

68352444-L.jpg

Just a question about crossing a body of water on a Car Ferry. Has anyone done it? Would there be any concerns? Conditions would have to be right, but if the cycle was on the center stand it seems like it should work.

Don't even think about putting the bike on the center stand. Side stand only and depending on the body of water your crossing and the ferry they will tie your bike to the deck or the bulkhead. They may give you the straps and let you do it yourself. If your bike drops it's your loss either way.

Just about every year when I go to the Dells rally I take the Ferry on the Wisconsin. It has always been sunny when we went and my bike was always on it's center stand. Everyone I ride with uses their center stand.
No bike has ever fallen over in our group. We often leave them unattended but it's a short trip. I am not saying anybody else is wrong, that has just been my experience on that Ferry If you are talking about the Lake Michigan Ferry, I have never gone but I hear tie downs would be a good idea. They may even be required.

If you are interested, there is an scenic overlook near the Ferry, called Gibralter Rock. There is about a .3 of a mile hike, up steep switchbacks to the top, with a beautiful view of the river and area. There are detailed maps on the page but it is on Hwy V, west of 113 between Lodi and the Ferry. You used to be able to ride up *sigh*

Last edited:
Just so everybody is clear, the Merrimac ferry is only a couple-minutes ride and you can stay with the bike. Same with the Door County/Washington Island ferry. On the Badger and the Express, once your bike is placed, you'll be above-decks with no access to the bike until you disembark. I do know that the Badger can "rumble" when maneuvering in the harbor. Plan accordingly.

SS Badger

SO & I booked passage on the Badger for July. They required that we bring 2 tie downs each. Not riding through Chicago - priceless.

Back