• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Renting Bikes in Germany

K

kismetsdad

Don't forget Muenchner Freiheit, Featured in Dec 2004 BMW ON--Tours out of Munich

Slovenia?

I love Germany, but I plan to do my rental and riding in Slovenia and Croatia. Arriving in Frankfurt and visiting old friends, then train to Munic to catch "special" (and inexpensive) express train to Lujblijana (sp?) for 8 days. All car/bike rental, 4 star Hotels, overnight ferry on Adriatic ~900 Euros/pers.

WHY? I lived in Germany for a year, and it's great, but the good riding is in the Alps and Adriatic coast: that's were Germans go. Slovenia and the other states of the former Yugoslavia are not in EU, and life is still simple and cheap!

Matej at Adriatic Mototours (adriaticmototours.com)speaks exellent English. His bead and butter is supported tours, but he bent over backward to help me decide on my private tour itinerary, and I couldn't believe the price. I'm taking my wife (non-rider, and I don't 2-up due to a physical disability) to celebrate our 25th anaversiary, and my 20th since studying in Hamburg, hence the car rental part of the trip. Slovenia is a just a couple hours from the Austrian Alps, the Dalmation Coast (Croatia), and a ferry ride from Italy. Did I mention it's a good value?

I visited 2 cities in Croatia (Split and Dubrovnik) 20 years ago, and discovered huge numbers of Germans there because the weather is better, and life (driving/riding) is far simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I love Germany, but I'd rather ride in Slovenia/Croatia/Austria/Italy.

As far as riding in Germany, you'll want ATGATT. Partly due to speeds and complex city layouts and the chance of a fall, but also for the weather. I was there before real advances in textile gear, but EVERYONE wore full leathers (except some commuters and scooter riders). Even mid summer can have 50 degree nights and many days of overcast, if not rainy, weather. Well, I'm sounding preachy about gear, but it can be suprsingly cold and wet.

Good luck,

Several years ago my wife and I rented a K75C from Knopf Motorradreisen. The experience went very well. The web site is :

http://www.knopftours.com/Amerika/Motorcycle_Rental/hauptteil_motorcycle_rental.html

I have a K75 so we used the side bags and top trunk from our bike for our luggage, put it on their bike and didn't have to worry about repacking, what would or would not fit...

Our trip lasted 2 weeks during which time we traveled about 2200 miles around central Europe. The motorcycle was not new or in pristine condition. However, it was very close to what I had back home, we were very comfortable on it and we had no problems. It was a very enjoyable trip.

Steffan Knopf runs the business out of his home in Heidelberg from which he also offers a Bed and Breakfast service, which works out quite nice if you plan to visit Heidelberg.

Rentals in Germany

I rented in Germany last summer 2006. Rented from a BMW dealer about an hour north of Frankfort in Giessen. BMW Phone 064150090 Jorg Pfeiffer.
I have inlaws there but my Garmin with the Germany chip in it really helped. The one thing you will need is a International Driving Permit from your AAA office.
It was the first thing he asked for and it really seemed to speed things along. It's about $18.00.
The other thing to remember is, some places will offer renting with a fee and per mile(km) or just a fee and unlimited, or just per mile(km).
Although per mile may seem more expensive, its not that much more and if something happens to your plans and your riding time is cut to less than you originally hoped, you only pay for what you used and you're not out a bunch of money. Just something to think about.
Have fun.

cost of trains?

What was the cost ofthe trains/taxi to Adriatric Mototours?

QUOTE=Rollifahrer;212253]I love Germany, but I plan to do my rental and riding in Slovenia and Croatia. Arriving in Frankfurt and visiting old friends, then train to Munic to catch "special" (and inexpensive) express train to Lujblijana (sp?) for 8 days. All car/bike rental, 4 star Hotels, overnight ferry on Adriatic ~900 Euros/pers.

WHY? I lived in Germany for a year, and it's great, but the good riding is in the Alps and Adriatic coast: that's were Germans go. Slovenia and the other states of the former Yugoslavia are not in EU, and life is still simple and cheap!

Matej at Adriatic Mototours (adriaticmototours.com)speaks exellent English. His bead and butter is supported tours, but he bent over backward to help me decide on my private tour itinerary, and I couldn't believe the price. I'm taking my wife (non-rider, and I don't 2-up due to a physical disability) to celebrate our 25th anaversiary, and my 20th since studying in Hamburg, hence the car rental part of the trip. Slovenia is a just a couple hours from the Austrian Alps, the Dalmation Coast (Croatia), and a ferry ride from Italy. Did I mention it's a good value?

I visited 2 cities in Croatia (Split and Dubrovnik) 20 years ago, and discovered huge numbers of Germans there because the weather is better, and life (driving/riding) is far simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I love Germany, but I'd rather ride in Slovenia/Croatia/Austria/Italy.

As far as riding in Germany, you'll want ATGATT. Partly due to speeds and complex city layouts and the chance of a fall, but also for the weather. I was there before real advances in textile gear, but EVERYONE wore full leathers (except some commuters and scooter riders). Even mid summer can have 50 degree nights and many days of overcast, if not rainy, weather. Well, I'm sounding preachy about gear, but it can be suprsingly cold and wet.

Good luck,[/QUOTE]

Back