• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'85 K100 Questions (First Post)

TheHack

Hi All,

I just got a 1985 K100RT off ebay cheap. $2204.33 (but I gave him $2220.00). I owned one '85 K100 back in 1986 or 7. I've owned numerous R bikes and still have a 1974 R75/6 but wanted something more rideable. Looking on ebay last week for a Oilhead I decided to check the K's and found one near me. Marked it then Sniped it last Thursday. Drove to Holden Beach and picked it up Saturday.

Why the heck did BMW decide to turn these engines so many RPM? As you all know if could stand another gear and a half. Buzzie Son-of-a-gun. It didn't take but a mile today and I remember ridding the other K100 (and what I didn't like about it) but this one was cheap so I'll ride it.

What's the trick for cleaning the aluminum? Caustic? :eek

I did a couple of 0-80 mph runs and I think the Cobra will take it. (Really)

Why does this Forum seem kinda dead?

Thanks,

Mike

Probably so dead just because K's are so danged reliable.

I got good results on mine using wheel-cleaner stuff available at any auto-parts store. I've also heard of folks getting good results with WD40 and a ScotchBrite pad, but I'm hesitant there as WD40 is mildly corrosive and metal should not be exposed to its residues for long periods.

So is your Cobra real or replica? You'll be interested to know that I used to date (and still know) Carroll Shelby's granddaughter. Went four-wheelin' in the East Texas woods with him once too.

Good buy on that K. One of these days, I want another '85.

Try using S100 spray cleaner- you can find it in a lot of bike shops. They also sell it in Honda shops re-packaged as Honda-Brite or something like that. Good stuff.

Yeah, the 427 will probably whip the K bike. Of course, if the Cobra was built as heavy as the BMW, you'd have Crown Vic badges on it.

427Cobra said:
Why does this Forum seem kinda dead?

Got me. Kbikes don't seem to break that often, so that's probably one reason.

It sure would be cool to see a well photographed documentation of a Kbike spline lube, though.

Either that or someone fixing their instruments so the speedo works.

:dunno

Thanks guys.

Is the Cobra real? It's a Real Replica! And you wouldn't believe how many times I've answered that question. Acording to how I feel... Some days I answer all questions YES and other days I answer them No. A No answer is always brings a "Why" question. Has it got a 427 in it? Yes. Is it Real? Yes. :)
cathcart.jpg

I did about 85 fast miles on the K yesterday and about 75 the Buzz seems to stop.

For the aluminum I'm thinking truckers use something on their wheels and fuel tanks that clean real good. I looked in Walmart last night and didn't see anything I thought would eat the aluminum clean.

ac_1.JPG

Back to trying to Complete the second Cobra!

Mike

Yikes!

Just remember that anything that eats aluminum also eats paint. Don't worry about how I know this, just trust me.

Until you ridden the thing a while and done your own maintenance, the Karma is not right. After you have ridden it a while and fretted over it, the buzziness seems less obtrusive.

Beyond that, clean the guadzits and synchopate the flaggelators, and most of the buzziness will disappear altogether. After that, use a trick I learned when riding Gold Wings -- put 2.5 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas at the next fill up. The final vestiges of buzz will fade, but the Kwhine will stick with you. ;)

Nice K you have there ... and welcome to the asylum.

Hi 427,

The early K's were famous for being buzzy at 5k. I ride a 2002 K12RS - it's very smooth on account of the rubber mounted engine but at that rpm, if you concentrate real hard, you can still detect the inherent vibration in the engine.

A fellow named Don Eilenberger rode an '85 for a long time - gave it the name Finest Year K or FYK and they are fairly widely known now by that handle. The '85 had many unique features - different seat, different pegs, different cams and compression and on and on. If you get it running good, it should give the Cobra a run for the money.

Don's a serious gearhead and worked out ways of reducing the vibration - not eliminating, just reducing. You could ping him at deilenberger@verizon.net and ask his advice. If you want good advice from him, my advice is to make the questions very clear and put each question in a separate paragraph - makes it way easier to respond. My guess is that he may have a set of recommendations written up to send on. I do remember two of the things were to be sure the rubber shock absorbers in the alternator drive are fresh and to check all the exhaust system attachements from the head to the exit. There were more I don't remember.

Wait, before you do that, check the IBMWR K tech list at http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml. At the end of that page you will find his advice on checking out '85 K100's before purchase - too late for you but you might find useful stuff there anyway.

HTH.

New Improvements!

Found the Aluminum cleaner I was looking for it's NAPA Aluminum Brightener part # 765-1458. Just spray it on and wait a couple of mimutes and hose it off. All the aluminum on the bike looks like new.

The windshield was pretty cloudy, I buffed it with a couple of boat compounds and then with a Meguire's polish for clear plastics and the windshield looks good as new. I'll de-bug the paint and buff it next and she'll look really nice.

Thanks Allen. I might have already read the information. Checking on "The I. Brick" site BMW knew the bike would vibrate from 55 to 75. I'll live with it. It bugged me more on the first K bike. Since this one was almost free, I'll learn to live with it.

Humm... After another 100 miles, and a couple more 0-60's, yes the Cobra will take it. I've driven the Cobra 12,000+ miles... If someone's local I can prove it but you get to ride the bike. I've done a couple of newer Harley's in the past (C5's, a Viper, a bunch of Fast Mustangs, a half dozen Rice Rockets, etc.) The best 100 footer so far was a Ford Lightening Pickup. This sucker hung tough until I jammed second. :D

I also did a few Harley's on the '81 R100RS I had too.

Mike

allenclarkson said:
Hi 427,

SNIP..

A fellow named Don Eilenberger rode an '85 for a long time - gave it the name Finest Year K or FYK and they are fairly widely known now by that handle. The '85 had many unique features - different seat, different pegs, different cams and compression and on and on. If you get it running good, it should give the Cobra a run for the money.
[/i]

And he once in a while looks in here since he was appointed as a moderator.. :)

Don's a serious gearhead and worked out ways of reducing the vibration - not eliminating, just reducing. You could ping him at deilenberger@verizon.net and ask his advice. If you want good advice from him, my advice is to make the questions very clear and put each question in a separate paragraph - makes it way easier to respond. My guess is that he may have a set of recommendations written up to send on. I do remember two of the things were to be sure the rubber shock absorbers in the alternator drive are fresh and to check all the exhaust system attachements from the head to the exit. There were more I don't remember.

The exhaust is important - and it is mounted differently than later years. Make sure the rubber mounts at the rear attachments are in good shape - you might consider replacing the rubber donuts.

Also - a GOOD tuneup is helpful. You want the engine to be running as smoothly as possible. Valve clearances should be dead on. Do not futz with the inter-throttle-body linkage - you'll make it worse that way.

Check the fairing for places it may be vibrating - I added rubber in several spots that help keep it from resonating with the engine.

Replace the rubber mounts for the handlebars - these harden up and transmit vibration to the bars. Also - if it doesn't have them - get bar-end weights.

Finally - it's probably worth retorquing the frame to engine/trans bolts - there is a specific tightening sequence shown for the '85 models in the factory service manual. It also is different than the sequence shown for later year K100's

And if you ride it so the RPM's aren't lurking around the buzz point (which was right around 60MPH) - it's not bad.

Wait, before you do that, check the IBMWR K tech list at http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml. At the end of that page you will find his advice on checking out '85 K100's before purchase - too late for you but you might find useful stuff there anyway.

HTH.

Thanks Don. Funny thing... This '85 still has the rubber mounted footpeg mounts. I can't tell the vibration is so bad on the pegs.

Any information on the Fuel+ mod. Looking I think it's not possible to add it to my '85?

I like the avitar, where'd you get my picture from?

Well, I've been called "Buzz" before... It's not so bad.

Mike

427Cobra said:
Thanks Don. Funny thing... This '85 still has the rubber mounted footpeg mounts. I can't tell the vibration is so bad on the pegs.

You might consider looking for a set of the solid mounted footpeg mounts off a wreck. The problem with the rubber mounted ones is all the vibration from the exhaust is transferred to the left mounting plate - and then up to your left foot. Since the plate is rubber mounted - there is nothing to damp the vibrations.

Used should be cheap - and there are a number of later model bikes being parted out on the IBMWR marketplace.

Any information on the Fuel+ mod. Looking I think it's not possible to add it to my '85?

Yes and no. It's the best upgrade you can do - that and taking the fuel warning bulbs out. 95% (number I made up - but it's close) of the '85 K's had problems with random fuel warnings. It was due to the system used - worked great in a lab, but not great on the bike. You can't easily go to the later one since it requires a new fuel tank and instrument pod.. so - as you've figured out - the Fuel+ is really the answer.

Right at the moment David W isn't taking orders for the original Fuel+ that replaced the clock. He has a new one in the works that will go on any FI bike.. I believe it's the Fuel+-2.

You might find a used one if you search long enough, or mebbe ask Dave if as a special favor for an '85K owner he might have one of the original ones laying around. His website (from memory) is http://www.fuelplus.com

The original one will go right in an '85 K.. did it to the FYK100RT..

I like the avitar, where'd you get my picture from?

Just grabbed it somewhere.. forget where.. is your picture all over the web? :)

Well, I've been called "Buzz" before... It's not so bad.

Mike

Hey Don, there's a brownbag seminar coming up soon on using the quote button. Shall I sign you up?

:brow

fish said:
Hey Don, there's a brownbag seminar coming up soon on using the quote button. Shall I sign you up?

:brow

Hey - if you wanna answer the questions - go for it.

EVERY other board like this that I use I can just toss in italics and turn'm on and off at will.. This one is being particularly obtuse about accepting them.
:eek

Blue K100

Hi, I just bought one identical to yours. How many miles are on it? Where are the panniers?

Re: Re: '85 K100 Questions (First Post)

KBasa said:
Got me. Kbikes don't seem to break that often, so that's probably one reason.

It sure would be cool to see a well photographed documentation of a Kbike spline lube, though.

Keep meaning to do that..

Either that or someone fixing their instruments so the speedo works.

That too..

:dunno

Always seems like the digicam isn't around when I'm doing one of those jobs. Have to make an effort to make it be around next time and mebbe put a page up on my website..

buzzy 85 k

I am so happy with my 85 k rs. I strongly believe that the balancing of the engine components,rods,pistons,crank and so on had a lot to do with how bad a buzz the bike produced.My bike is so smooth at any rpm range and I consider my self lucky.I have driven same year and model of several friends and was in shock over the vibration that they had on those machines.If Iwould have gotten one of those buzzers either the engine would have come apart for balancing or the bike would have been sold.:clap

Re: Blue K100

Alan said:
Hi, I just bought one identical to yours. How many miles are on it? Where are the panniers?

Alan, mine has 57,800 miles on it. OK... What's a Panniers? If you stick a "T" in it I migh have some idea but....?

One of the Famous 1985 K100RS's is on ebay right now. It has 318,000 miles on it. Yesterday it was up to $1600.00. Go figure.

Mike

Just a suggestion

:bliss I had an 85 krt and loved it dearly. The "buzz" seemed to occur at a certin rpm, all I did was not run at that rpm. either shift up or shift down and it goes away. It never botherd me. What I wanted to suggest is to replace ALL the rubber on the engine, most of all the fuel lines. I will never forget pulling the bike up next to my house when "POOF", it went up in flames. I about died (literaly), It had 98,500 + dependable miles on it and looked so forward to seeing 100,000 miles. A n n y w a y, Radiator hoses would be good to change too. I ended up getting a 99 KLT. Rode it for two years and got a 2002 KLT, rode it for two years and got rid of it (TOO DAMB BIG). I actualy liked the size of the 85 better. But now I got an '04 R1200c Montauk and have fallen head over heals again. Be carefull.;) :bliss :clap :brow

Back