• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New '07 Rt!!

Bud

It is what it is.
What a great group! Thanks for all of your words of encouragement and for your suggestions for RT upgrades. I just finished another 100 miles today. I am trying to get it to the 600 mile oil change and check up fast! I was told by the dealer that I could ride the bike as hard as I wanted as long as I stayed below 4,000 RPM. This doesn't make sense? It lugs below 3,000 RPM and it almost get started at 4,000 RPM. Did he mean "stay below 6,000 RPM for the first 600 miles"?

At 5'10" the stock windshield seems to do the job. I actually like the dip in the middle because you can see over it better. Howevewr, the higher sides do cause some distortion when making slow speed turns and the view is cut in half by the edge of the windshield. Although it look too narrow from the rider's seat it seems to do the job so far. I may change my mind after riding in a heavy downpour. I had an Aeroflow on my '96 and you could raise it up and hide behind it and ride for hours in heavy rain.

I guess I will get the engine guards. Folks seem to think the standard BMW ones are the most effective? I think I know about the $300+ hiway pegs mentioned in an earlier post. The wedge in gap by th eplugs and do not require removal if the head bolts for installation. I don't like the idea of taking the head bolts out, installing the pegs, and resting my feet on them for the next 10 years.

Great tank bag ideas! Thanks! Any other accessory mounting tips? I jury-rigged a RAM MOUNT radar detector top plate to my tank bag mounting platform using zip ties and mounted my GPS to it today. I worked, but it is certainly not a good long term solution. I am eyeing the "mirror holes" by the levers as the starting point for a post and platform for RAM MOUNT bases!

Let me see if I can include a picture of my Titanium Silver RT. I think I shrunk it small enough for this board.

Thanks everyone! Ride on!
HIWAYMIKE

Can't hardly see the bike for the big grin on someone's face.:D

Tasty new '07 RT

Just picked up mine from BMW-ATL a week ago today. Nice extra tasty Blue with the "package" - bun warmers, heated grips, ESA, etc. Whooo-Hooo!:dance

Engine Guards

I highly recommend the BMW cylinder head guards. I was pushing myself out of a parking space when my left foot slipped on some gravel and over I went. You know how it is, it happens when you least expect it. Especially when you are trying to be more careful than you normally are with the new bike and all.

I picked up a new 05 R1200RT left over April/06 last year and put 11,400 on the clock by Nov/06. Two weeks ago the bike just got it's 12,000 mile service. Quite expensive to the tune of $487 something. But, it is running better than ever! So, if you think your bike is running good now, wait a couple thousand miles. It gets better with age.

Hankles

07 F650GS
05 R1200RT

Manchester, NH

Congratulations! Great bike, I'm sure you'll love it more and more each time you ride.

I think cylinder guards are a must. That you never dropped your '96 is impressive, but it's a roll of the dice.

Post some pix--would love to see your big bug-free smile.

Roll of the dice and those covers are expensive...

Great tank bag ideas! Thanks! Any other accessory mounting tips? I jury-rigged a RAM MOUNT radar detector top plate to my tank bag mounting platform using zip ties and mounted my GPS to it today. I worked, but it is certainly not a good long term solution. I am eyeing the "mirror holes" by the levers as the starting point for a post and platform for RAM MOUNT bases!
HIWAYMIKE

Ram makes a base plate that mounts on the brake res... works good. Save those mirror mount holes until after you decide if the stock mirrors work for you. I find them (stock mirrors) to be useless.

I use BMW's tank bag reason simply because it works so well. Clicks off and on the "grid" literally in a second.

My R1200RT web page may be helpful:

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/r1200rt.htm

blue-rt.jpg

Yoda Lives!

Jeff (or shall I say "BMW YODA"?),

Great web site! You must embody the definition of "ENTHUSIAST"! WHAT A WEALTH OF INFORMATION. I will visit often and I follow the force.

Thanks,

bmwdean said:
I use BMW's tank bag reason simply because it works so well. Clicks off and on the "grid" literally in a second.

Exactly my reason - although that $300 for a tank bag was a hard one to swallow.

I hate strapon bags - they are a pain to take off/put on when gassing. And the RT doesn't have a metal tank for a magnetic bag.

How about mounting my Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS, Radar detector, and Sony handycam? I had a nice shelf with RAM Mounts on my '96. What is the best way to mount up to 3 devices on the '07? Do you have any other suggestions? For anyone considering an upgrade from an 1100 RT to a 1200 RT - DO IT!

Congratulations on your new bike. The 1200RT rocks !!

These guys make BMW specific mounting solutions for many models including your 1200RT. Great people to deal with as well.
BMR Products: http://bmrproducts.com/

Attachments

• Picture 4a.jpg
    Picture 4a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 275
More Mounting and Accessory IDEAS?

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of the great ideas. There is much more out there than I thought. Please post any other pictures, web site references, suppliers, etc.

As a follow up for anyone interested in my '07 RT first impressions. I rode it to Tampa and back yesterday. About a 230 mile round trip on some fairly remote back roads (what did we do before GPS systems?) I once again encountered masses of love bugs and some spotty rain. Now I think I know what you are saying about the stock windshield being too short!

AT 5'10" with a 30" inseam I feel I am still too tall for the stock windshield. At FULL UP the love bugs were still splattering on my glasses, face, helmet, etc. I had to drop my shield to keep the bugs and rain off of m glasses. I think iit is time to look at a windshield at least 2" taller. Any suggestions? I had an AIRFLOW on my '96 RT and it was fantastic!

I think I am beginning to feel the issues with the seat, too. My left leg started to go a little numb after two hours in the saddle. I thought I like the narrow seat design, but I am beginning to see why the wider and flatter Corbin and Seargent seats are popular after-market supplies. I also think at least one backrest may be in order. My back was sore afer a 5 hour round trip.

Thanks,

Every BMW motorcycle I have owned since about 1973 has required me to replace the stock seat with an aftermarket model. BMW goes for style, not comfort, when it designs it seats -- except for the K1200LT, which has a good seat.

I have used Rick Mayer saddles on my 1996+ RTs -- 1100, 1150, and 1200ccs.

rt-saddle.jpg

seat

After two yrs of riding my 05 RT, I got a Rick Mayer seat and what a difference. I think an aftermarket seat is a must. Personally I wasen't impressed w Seargant and Corbin (too hard). Also check Russel. They too are excellent.

'07 Rt

Same first name same bike. In fact we are about the same size and I just ordered a larger shield. I read some strings about the aftermarket seats and Sargent was given high marks for those of us who need the low setting and want the stand flat footed at the stoplight. I spent 8 hrs on my RT a few weeks ago with the Sargent seat and felt great afterwords. I agree on the engine guards and I dropped the $$ for the BMW tank bag and don't regret it. You might want to consider fender extensions to keep the RT cleaner in the rain. Place small mirrors in the upper section of the BMW mirrors. They help a lot with the blind spots and make use of that area your hands cover up.

For visibilty I added hyperlights, PIA 1100X lights and 3M tape. The tape is availiable now for the new RT's. I gave up my '04 R1150RT with no regrets (now).

Enjoy your RT.

Yeah here's a question for all you with knowledge me know nots.
Let's say my RT has heated seats (which it does) and I want to go for something aftermarket.
What happens next? Corbin, Sargent, la la la . . . . lemme know, okies?
Pillon, too!

Coolness.

Wez

Last edited:

I agree that the BMW tank bag works well. The quick attach/detach is very useful. But, I wish they would have designed it so it could be tilted up frontward or rearward while still attached to the rail. This woud simplify gassing up. Mine slid off the rear seat once while I was gassing up. It left a nice scratch on the seat. Funny, after this happened, I read a warning in the tank bag's instruction manual saying not to put the bag on the seat as it might slide off and damage the seat cover. Oh well.....

Johnv

I too have just acquired a new (to me) RT.. It is an '05 in Piedmont Red. I just love it !!!!! I traded in my LT because of continuing mechanical problems.

I do notice the vibration on the grips as the RPMs increase. Doe those Salamander weights really eliminate all of the vibration? I am really toying with the idea of buying them.

How much heavier are they then the stock bar ends?

I have first hand experience at tipping over while stopped and scratching up the right side bag cover (repaint $200 but perfect match) & repaint the right valve cover ($125 not as perfect tho). I bought & installed Wunderlich guards and will be ordering bag scuff protectors and paint them to match. Dropped my RT with only 3500 miles on it. I too find the seat uncomfortable after several hours & will replace the stock windshield with a wider one. Have not experienced any problems with this bike and am astounded with the handling and performance. Still have my '83R80RT, for those laid back summer evening short rides it can't be topped. However to go somewhere now I've been completely corrupted (seduced?) by my '07RT.:bow

Back