• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

PIAA's...holy cow!

GregHohn

Those PIAAs are the real deal. I can hardly believe I used to ride at night without them. I find they prevent fatigue in addition to increasing visibility both for myself and to others.

When I turn my PIAA 1100xs off while riding at night, I wonder for a split second why my headlight went out as well - until I notice a faint glow feebly piercing the night. They must be two or three times brighter than the poor little H4 bulb in the headlight!

I keep the PIAAs on all the time to increase my visibility. Glad to hear someone else thinks they're super-bright!

+10 for PIAA's I mounted a set of 1100's on my bike and love the difference. I've got them adjusted so that both sides of the road on a two lane farm road are lit up to my high beam. next for me is a PIAA headlamp. Makes a huge difference on those early morning comutes to the office. Also great as running lights during the daylight hours.

I have PIAA 1100Xs on my GSA as well. The only bad thing, and I didn't realize this until after I bought and installed them, is that they don't take normal lamps and replacements are expensive. Hopefully the bulb life is long...

I'd like to put a set of these on my R12RT. I find many kits with brackets for certain bikes (like the R1150RT, etc.) but none for the R12RT. Anyone find a kit for the new RT?

Robo

I have the same setup on my GS.. I don't use them often cause I have motolites that stay on all the time but nothing beats them on a dark night on a country road.

I love my PIAAs

I put the older model 910s on my RS
Praise the Lord and pass the Kilowatts
90 watt each:brad

I'd like to put a set of these on my R12RT. I find many kits with brackets for certain bikes (like the R1150RT, etc.) but none for the R12RT. Anyone find a kit for the new RT?

Robo

Sierra BMW said they are making up a kit like they have showing for the 1150RT. I had called them about a month ago. The rep said he has them, just not updated on site. I have Motolites on the 12RT, but am adding these soon

this is the 1150 kit:
http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$2PYVV1IAABDUNTZENUEXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=820323%7C956377&PRID=1085677

+10 for PIAA's I mounted a set of 1100's on my bike and love the difference. I've got them adjusted so that both sides of the road on a two lane farm road are lit up to my high beam. next for me is a PIAA headlamp. Makes a huge difference on those early morning comutes to the office. Also great as running lights during the daylight hours.
The glowing comments about the PIAAs are well deserved for their brilliance. But remember, that brilliance comes at a serious price: the bulbs burn out VERY quickly. I have burned both PIAAs and SilverStar bulbs in my bikes and find they last no more than 6,000 miles. If one rides 3,000 miles per year with one PIAA bulb in the low beam only, that's pretty economical. If, on the other hand, one rides 20,000 miles per year and has a PIAA in each the low beam position and two auxilliary lamps, the cost becomes prohibitive, forcing alternatives.

Having learned my lighting lesson the hard and expensive way, when I added aux lights to my '06 Adv., I opted for Hella FF50s and am absolutely delighted. The difference to the normal human eye between my 3 normal bulbs on the road and 3 PIAAs is minimal. Replacement life is about 10,000 miles with their standard bulbs, so at $7.00 apiece, that's $40 a year. With PIAA bulbs, the cost for 3 lamps for 20,000 miles would be about $600...too rich for this guy's wallet, just for bulbs.

Thanks guys for the info. I can see bulb cost as a concern, but I plan to use these at night for the most part and so they should last long enough for me. I appreciate the links and info.

Robo

Back