• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Real Men Ride Harleys

My wife isn't impressed by Harleys. And she's from Iowa, where that's all they ride.

All we ride in Iowa is Harleys? :mad

We Bahnsturmers, the Pure Stodge, and the Big Sioux Riders might just say otherwise!

Seriously, Iowans are have the highest per capita rate of motorcycle ownership in the nation. I see no greater amount of HD's here than in other states.

If you ride it and don't spend all your time polishing it, it's all good!

I've been riding for 43 years on most of the brands available at one time or another and am getting fed up with this stuff. The most common thing I hear the HD people ever say about the BMW crowd is that they tend to be stuck-up, opinionated jerks with a misplaced superiority complex who only care about themselves (and those who are exactly like them) and look down upon everyone else. I'd have to say this thread justifies that view to a large degree.

If you add egotistical, it could be us!

Or is that me?

It's hard to tell these days.

Oh wait, that was another stereotype........Sorry about that!

To add to the grammer discussion, I like hyphenated words such as cow-orker..Rod.

I second that move on

Move on, cause if you got your ass wiped with the street right in front of a Harley (no matter how bad the HD rider hated Beemers) He would stop, and hold your head in his lap till the ambulence got there JUST LIKE YOU WOULD DO FOR HIM.

Period. End of story and you all know what I'm saying is true.

Red

, I'd say its the old Triumph / Brit bike "rockers." A lot of them seem to just hate everything not British and not made before the early 70's.

Was up at Lukenbach several months ago, and couple of guys from San Antonio were up there on two old BSAs. They had fabricated parts for the primary covers and such, and oil everywhere. Really cool guys to talk to, they restore only Brit bikes here in SA, in a shop just behind the new HD superstore. Long way to ride on those saddles.....looked like real men to me!

What I don't understand is: what good is all that horsepower when you have sideboards that scrape if you try to lean?:scratch
I followed my brother and his wife on a 1340, and they weigh about 180 pounds together and wet.
My wife and I were on my much older /7 and we weigh a tad more than 180 together (alright, a lot more). I could have passed that HD on the inside on any corner, he was scraping up a storm. I even commented to my wife that maybe we should just pass them and meet them at the rally. I can safely say that model is not a sport touring bike. The sparks looked cool though and it did have a nice radio. I think the owners look for different things in different bikes.

Funny thing is I hardly ever scrape. When I do it is at slow speeds like in a parking lot. While I don't always ride aggresively (it depends on my mood). I will when the mood strikes. If your technique is good, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. :dunno It never has for me but then I'm not afraid of sliding off the seat, to get enough body lean to stand the bike up and keep it from scraping. Two up I don't ride aggressively enough to worry about it.

My brother is a very experienced rider. If he could have gone any faster, he would have been. My friends Sportster has no scraping issue. It is just the big ones with all the stuff on them and the big fairing and running boards. We were following a guy on one during the Slimey Crud Run. He had a laptop mounted on his handlebars, I think for GPS purposes. He was great on the straights but slowed us down in the corners. It was kind of pissing me off. That is where I get my kicks, I don't speed that much. I just don't slow down that much either. He was a good rider, I would think if he could have gone faster in the corners, he would have. I am sure I do the same thing to squids on Sportbikes following me.:laugh

My brother is a very experienced rider. If he could have gone any faster, he would have been. My friends Sportster has no scraping issue. It is just the big ones with all the stuff on them and the big fairing and running boards. We were following a guy on one during the Slimey Crud Run. He had a laptop mounted on his handlebars, I think for GPS purposes. He was great on the straights but slowed us down in the corners. It was kind of pissing me off. That is where I get my kicks, I don't speed that much. I just don't slow down that much either. He was a good rider, I would think if he could have gone faster in the corners, he would have. I am sure I do the same thing to squids on Sportbikes following me.:laugh

I don't have a fairing, my footboards are in their highest position and my suspension is set up as firm as I can get it. I'm not saying a good knee dragger won't eat my lunch. I'm just saying the bikes aren't as bad as many would make them out to be

I wish I had had a camera with me 20 minutes ago.

I'm waiting to cross the street, heading back to my office with lunch. Coming down the street is a H-D painted a color I can only describe as "Barney Purple".

I was SO tempted to scream out, "HEY - BARNEY CALLED - HE WANTS HIS BIKE BACK!", but of course, it being a Harley, he wouldn't have heard me.

Man - was that ever an ugly bike!

And we're so preoccupied with HD riders because? Let's think of some valid reasons: They outnumber BMW's about a bazillion to one; they have far better dealer support; their owners are proud of what they ride and show it; HD is a master of marketing, and it pays off in sales. I say :clap to HD.

And we're so preoccupied with HD riders because?

Because they have used their "Made in America" status to obtain market share they would not otherwise have if their products were made in Mexico. Wait - their products ARE made in Mexico! That they are ASSEMBLED in the USA seems to have little bearing on the purchasing power of patriotism.

Sure - there are likely BMW owners who own BMWs solely because of perceptions that things German are high quality precision machines.

Look at the recently released Michigan State Police evaluations of H-D vs. BMW police motors. The BMW wins in every category. Why is it even a contest? But H-D gets preference over BMW simply because a H-D is assembled in the US and a BMW is made in Berlin, Germany.

Methias

NOT SILLS!!!!!!!

I use Cleveland, but I just buy parts and accessories. I do my own maitenance and repair. My SO has an R1150R in the garge.

Prior to the new Cleveland shop opening, I'd ride to Wooster to get my parts and buy my bikes.

Remember, Methias (sp?) was not a dealer for a long time. I've heard a rumor they are again. This rumor is a few years old now, but they always had a good reputation.

Methias is an awesome shop. Great service all the way around.

Because they have used their "Made in America" status to obtain market share they would not otherwise have if their products were made in Mexico. Wait - their products ARE made in Mexico! That they are ASSEMBLED in the USA seems to have little bearing on the purchasing power of patriotism.

Sure - there are likely BMW owners who own BMWs solely because of perceptions that things German are high quality precision machines.

Look at the recently released Michigan State Police evaluations of H-D vs. BMW police motors. The BMW wins in every category. Why is it even a contest? But H-D gets preference over BMW simply because a H-D is assembled in the US and a BMW is made in Berlin, Germany.

Sorry, but having visited the motor and drivetrain FACTORY while at West Bend, I have to take some issue with this. No, they are not 100% American made, but much more so than BMW!

I didn't see a 'Barney' bike today, but I did see a BRIGHT fluorescent-pink Road King pulling a small trailer that carried a matching metal-pig made form a 55-gal drum. I'm guessing that this guy was the smallest mobile-BBQ-rig I'd ever seen.

I don't have a fairing, my footboards are in their highest position and my suspension is set up as firm as I can get it. I'm not saying a good knee dragger won't eat my lunch. I'm just saying the bikes aren't as bad as many would make them out to be
I know. I live near Milwaukee. :thumb
My brother has several, but they are all older. A couple of my cousins have 100th Anniversary edition big bikes.

Back