• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air Valve Stem Rotten

podsobinski

15 miles from home and a front flat tire. Lucky for me I have a can of flat fix.
Taking off the valve cap the 1/2 the stem tears off. Great! The 1/2 that came off was screwed onto the flat fix and pushed up against the remainder of the valve stem still on the bike and filled the front tire. Then carefully unscrewing the flat fix and pushing the stem on the bike rim. It held! Limped home at 30 mph. Lucky. But upon reflection, I never requested a valve stem replacement, 7 front tires, 6 years old and 70,000 miles. Two lessons learned. Carry flat fix and every new tire get the valve stem replaced.:blah

podzo
R1150GS
R1200RT

Its amazing that a dealer would not suggest installing a $3 replacement valve stem each time you got a new set of tires.

BMW Dealer and Local Shop

My thoughts exactly. . .all mounting done by the BMW shop or local franchise yam and kawa dealer. . .car tire dealers always ask you that and I will never turn them down now.:dunno

Good idea thanks Stuff2C

That steel Valve Stem looks like the ticket
Checked my '06 RT and it has some sort of metal valve stem on the cast spoke so no worry about that one going bad.:D

gpodzo
R1150GS
R1200RT
XR650L

size-- steel valve stem

Two sizes are listed for the valve stems. Which size would fit an 1150rt?
Thanks

Looks heavy, how does this effect the amount of rim weight needed to balance a tire ?

The web link indicates 0.062 pounds each which (if my math is correct, and it may not be) would equal 136 grams !

Math conversion for steel valve stems

breyfogle, check out this conversion
1 pound equals 454 grams
therefore 0.062 X 454 = 28 grams for that steel valve stem
seems reasonable but would require rebalancing:clap

podzo
Geology Rocks!

I replaced my rubber valve stems on my GS (has wire wheels) with right angle metal stems from Wunderlick. They're great. I no longer have to remove the rear system case to get air pressure gage or air hose on valve stem, and I don't have to use unnatural body positions to get the air hose nozzle to fit between the spokes just right so I can inflate tire.

Wunderlick web site

How about a web site for that 90 degree web site.
Looks like just the ticket

gpodzo

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older."

BMW Santa Cruz is sole importer of Wunderlich parts. You can have them ship you a free catalogue. When I ordered my valve stems I got 3 and carry a spare in my tool kit just in case worst case scenerio should develop.
link to Santa Cruz http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/

Back