Thread: Rear brake pads

Rear brake pads

While servicing my baby the other day, I saw that the rear pads had only about 1/16th " of pad left.
    Ordered new ones.
    The fronts have hardly any wear.
    Is that a function of twice as many pads for the front or maybe the PO dragged the rears or used them primarily instead of the fronts? I mostly use the rear brake at low speed.
    Is 26K miles low for the rears?
    Also, the brake fluid is a kind of light tan color. Sounds like it's time for new juice, huh?
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

I believe that the prvious owner must have used the rear more. I rarely use the rear and usually wear the fronts out. I have had my rear pads on the bike for over 3 years and 50 K and they are still in great shape. Now the fronts are a different story.... they get replaced much more frequently. As far as changing the fluid, tan is okay, but make sure that it gets changed once a year. Use Dot 4. My food for thought....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Thank you, sir. I think brake fluid change has moved up a notch or two on the list.
    Trans and rear drive fluids are next.
    '08 BMW R1200RT

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    BMW rear pads were the softer material, (not sintered metalic like the front pads). Mine lasted about 12,000 miles then I bought EBC which lasted a bit longer and now I have returned to the NEW BMW pads that are more like a metalic sintered brake pad. But don't take my word for it - I switch back and forth between wheels/brake pads (knobbies/Street tires on seperate rims) so my mileage count is way off for wear statistics...

That's pretty average wear for rears, even though you use more front. Get the new BMW pads or not [EBC and Gafer make quality pads that work fine).

JMHO
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

I ordered a set from Chicago BMW. I'm assuming they are BMW brand.
    Should be here soon.
    '08 BMW R1200RT