• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear brake pads

Jeff488

Aspiring Profligate
While servicing my baby the other day, I saw that the rear pads had only about 1/16th " of pad left.
Ordered new ones.
The fronts have hardly any wear.
Is that a function of twice as many pads for the front or maybe the PO dragged the rears or used them primarily instead of the fronts? I mostly use the rear brake at low speed.
Is 26K miles low for the rears?
Also, the brake fluid is a kind of light tan color. Sounds like it's time for new juice, huh?

I believe that the prvious owner must have used the rear more. I rarely use the rear and usually wear the fronts out. I have had my rear pads on the bike for over 3 years and 50 K and they are still in great shape. Now the fronts are a different story.... they get replaced much more frequently. As far as changing the fluid, tan is okay, but make sure that it gets changed once a year. Use Dot 4. My food for thought....:drink :eat

Thank you, sir. I think brake fluid change has moved up a notch or two on the list.
Trans and rear drive fluids are next.

BMW rear pads were the softer material, (not sintered metalic like the front pads). Mine lasted about 12,000 miles then I bought EBC which lasted a bit longer and now I have returned to the NEW BMW pads that are more like a metalic sintered brake pad. But don't take my word for it - I switch back and forth between wheels/brake pads (knobbies/Street tires on seperate rims) so my mileage count is way off for wear statistics...

That's pretty average wear for rears, even though you use more front. Get the new BMW pads or not [EBC and Gafer make quality pads that work fine).

JMHO

I ordered a set from Chicago BMW. I'm assuming they are BMW brand.
Should be here soon.

Back