• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coat for full figured men

podsobinski

Now that I am a "mature" man nearly 60 my physic has changed. All my riding coats fit wrong. The waste is too high and when I sit on the bike it scoots up even more and never feels right. My belly causes them to ride up. I need a new coat the has a waste lower so my belly catches it. Any suggestions for all you wise and experienced riders. 2 used XL riding coats complete with patches all over them for sell:banghead :banghead

Yup, been there....

Check out Belstaff Mercury jacket. (BritishMotorcycleGear)
The jacket is actually shorter than what you are used to, but will fit much better!

Put suspenders on your riding pants, add the Mercury Jacket, and ride like the old days.

As you lose the weight you can return to more traditional, long cut jackets.

My FirstGear K-II drove me nuts last year because it kept riding up on me. I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Belquar of NJ turned me onto Belstaff Gear. The construction quality is second to none. I bought my yellow and black jacket at the Chicago IMS. With my black leather Spidi pants, someone said I look like a big bumblebee.

How about something along the lines of a Aerostich Darien or Darien Light?

The length of the coat eliminates any display of plumber's butt and all resulting accidents caused by such a sight.

it depends

A shorter jacket with good fitting pants will not reveal Plumbers Butt.

Aerostich is great stuff. The Darien is a longer year round jacket but will ride up on "full figures". There was a thread on this point last year.

The Darien Light is like the Darien but without the lining, and it is very high quality stuff. But, if a guy has alot of excess weight over the belt, the length of the jacket becomes more critical than the weight of the jacket, and it will still ride up.

Ride with what will make you comfortable. If one is morbidly obese, one has bigger potential problems other than wanting to look good.

On the other hand, Aerostich will gladly custom alter any of their products if one is sold on Darien, etc.

I knew I could count on you guys

Always good suggestions. After riding for 44 years, too many motorcycles to count, bad knees and rotator cup on the should at 6' and 230 lb. my short legs and long trunk doesn't allow normal XL coats to fit correctly. I will try the Belstaff and give Aerostich a call about the fit. I hate to look at those models on the advertisements all the cloths look so good. How about real life, 1000 miles in 24 hours over 14 passes in Colorado and lets see how they look. Thanks again for the imput.:thumb
Podsobinski aka podzo
R1200RT
R1150GS
XR650L

Now that I am a "mature" man nearly 60 my physic has changed. All my riding coats fit wrong. The waste is too high and when I sit on the bike it scoots up even more and never feels right. My belly causes them to ride up. I need a new coat the has a waste lower so my belly catches it. Any suggestions for all you wise and experienced riders. 2 used XL riding coats complete with patches all over them for sell:banghead :banghead

May I suggestwww.morrisdesigns.com/smg.htm:brad

Always good suggestions. After riding for 44 years, too many motorcycles to count, bad knees and rotator cup on the should at 6' and 230 lb. my short legs and long trunk doesn't allow normal XL coats to fit correctly. I will try the Belstaff and give Aerostich a call about the fit. I hate to look at those models on the advertisements all the cloths look so good. How about real life, 1000 miles in 24 hours over 14 passes in Colorado and lets see how they look. Thanks again for the imput.:thumb
Podsobinski aka podzo
R1200RT
R1150GS
XR650L

The Darien Jacket from Aerostich is really your only/best choice! Buy the best, forget the rest.
gsjay

PODSOBINSKI

"How about real life, 1000 miles in 24 hours over 14 passes in Colorado and lets see how they look."

I wear a Kilamanjaro 2 in XL. I am 6' and 215. It works well for me. I left Pueblo 2 weekends ago: out to Montrose, down to Durango, over to South Fork, up to Gunnison and back. 775 miles. Worked well down low and worked well at 11.6K in the snow fields.

I'm over in Pueblo if you'd like to take mine out for a test spin. I've looked at a lot of different jackets and all seem to have some feature I just can't get past. I now have about 60K on my Kill and haven't found anything better, but I always look to see if I can find something I like better. (Just a toy junkie I guess.) Mine has never leaked 1 drop.

Ping me if you want to borrow mine for a test ride. :bikes

Last edited:
Back