Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: mystery rubber cover

  1. #1

    mystery rubber cover

    does anyone know what the small, flat rectangular rubber "patch" ( approx2 inches by 3 inches) is for on the front center fairing on my 1981 R 100RS? I thought it might be some sort of access cover, but I am not sure for what. I forgot to install mine when I put the fairning back on and as I was trying to put it in place I was wondering about its use.

  2. #2
    Lifetime Member Ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Salem Or.

    Why thats the Dood-a-ma-hickey

    for the thing-a-ma-jig.

    I also don't know what that rubber plug is for. The steering damper is directly above it. Maybe it is for access to work on the dampener??
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '09 F650GS '15 Ducati Multistrada

  3. #3
    81' R100RS mrocket49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Suffield, Connecticut
    It is an access cover for the steering dampener.
    81' R100RS
    74' Norton Commando 850
    84'Kawasaki KLR600
    75' Honda TL-125 72' CB175

  4. #4
    the Wizard of Oz 26667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    NW suburban chgo
    about all you can do is peek through it to see if your steering damper has puked. to remove the damper, front panel and the small one above have to go and the lowers have to be at least loosened.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

  5. #5
    Herding Cats
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    That little tiny hole allows you to pop off the clip that holds the cup to the ball for the steering damper. Necessary when cleaning/greasing the steering head bearings. Which I did last week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts