• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Too Much Safety Gear??

dinandan

dinandan
I ride as much as I can and for the first time I will start commuting to work this summer. I want as much protection as possible just in case. I've bought BMW's Transition boots, Rallye 2 Pro Jacket, Rallye Gloves, and Commuter Pants. I'm considering the purchase of the Back Protector 2. Is this Redundant? Is the back protection in the Rallye 2 Pro on par with the Back protector 2? If I do get BMWÔÇÖs Back Protector 2 can I safely remove the back protector in the Rallye 2 Pro? (If I do remove the Rallye 2 Pro Protector I WILL always wear the Back Protector 2.) This may sound excessive to some of you but at 22 years old IÔÇÖve already been in a near death accident. A few hundred dollars in good gear now is nothing compared to several thousand at the hospital. Any advice would be Great!

Thanks,
Dan Moers

LifeTime Member # 124820
1983 R80RT

OK, having looked at this BMW Back Protector 2, it will provide you with better protection than a jacket inserted pad. The pads in jackets with or without some type of reinforcement is just that, a pad - it protects you from hits and sliding down the road. It provides very little back protection from rotational forces or twisting, because it's not attached to you.

Back braces and spinal protection come in many forms, the one from BMW looks to be in the middle catagory of spinal protection, better than a jacket but far from other available stuff.

I'm in the camp of comfort and some protection worn all the time, over the best least comfortable protection hanging at home on a hook.

Houston, I'd say the wrap around (worn against your body) protection would end up being too hot and you'd stop wearing it.

Last answer - you could wear both, buy why, if you wear the Back Protector take out the jacket pad for cooling.

HTH

In addition to wearing the full spectrum of gear, riders are (IMO) safer if their gear is hi-vis. The more visible you are the less likely some cager will invade your space.

Talk to any EMT and they will tell you that the most common thing that a cage driver says after hitting a motorcyclist is "I didn't see him."

So.... I'd suggest gear in bright colors like hi-vis yellow and a white helmet. As you ride around, check out what other riders are wearing and what is most visible.

I ride as much as I can and for the first time I will start commuting to work this summer. I want as much protection as possible just in case. I've bought BMW's Transition boots, Rallye 2 Pro Jacket, Rallye Gloves, and Commuter Pants. I'm considering the purchase of the Back Protector 2. Is this Redundant? Is the back protection in the Rallye 2 Pro on par with the Back protector 2? If I do get BMWÔÇÖs Back Protector 2 can I safely remove the back protector in the Rallye 2 Pro? (If I do remove the Rallye 2 Pro Protector I WILL always wear the Back Protector 2.) This may sound excessive to some of you but at 22 years old IÔÇÖve already been in a near death accident. A few hundred dollars in good gear now is nothing compared to several thousand at the hospital. Any advice would be Great!

Thanks,
Dan Moers

LifeTime Member # 124820
1983 R80RT

Dude...I need a nap from all of that! :laugh

The redundancy in back protector(s) is your call, the more the better IMHO. I do not have the jacket mentioned, but my Olympia and Vansons have back protection I leave in the jacket even when it gets August hot. I commute in Austin now, but did it in Houston in my past. Full armored gloves and boots as well as the HELMET right? My son is a Houston rider also at 26 and say's he wears one...:banghead

And get some rain gear...It seems to rain every afternoon in Houston when you commute!!

Are you riding INTO Houston? Heads up!!...urban Houston riding is a full time brain workout( I know, where isn't?). Riding in traffic is a bigger issue and how to avoid using all that gear is a bigger goal. I avoided the Slabs around Houston when possible, find a alternate route to avoid them...besides there's usually more to see:brow

And...nice bike! How did you come to Beemer Land as an owner?

Which one is best?

Russ, or anyone else, could you recommend the best back protector to get? I probably should get one instead of just relying on what is in my jackets. I have osteoporosis in my spine and hips (t -2.5)

Yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to be riding at all. The books threaten that just picking up a bag of groceries could crumble my vertebrae. My compromise is to ride a 250 Virago. Nice and light so I'm not dealing with much weight. Should probably get better back protection, though, if they actually make any for someone who is only 5'2" and shrinking.

Holly

Holly,

I think the T-Pro Forcefield is the hot one on the market, although the BMW one looks very comparable. Prices are about the same $150(USD) give or take local markets.

The T-Pro is rated #1 by several bike mags and is rated #1 in comfort.

But it would be my opinion to check out several and find the one that fits and the one that you would feel naked without.

The more I read on these things the more I am inclined to start shopping around myself. Heck, I've got $600 worth of Titanium knee baces for when I raced, won't ride dirt without them.

Just one more piece of ATGATT.

HTH

I just bought the TC pro Forcefield. I find it very comfortable and oddly enough after just 2 weeks I feel uneasy if I don't have it. It seems better ventilated than some. I know it will be hot in the middle of July but I think it will be tolerable. My brother just had a pretty bad motorcycle accident. I've been re-thinking all of my gear since then.

Bill
07 R1200RT

I've been wearing the ICON back and chest protector as well as the shin and knee hard armor. I wear it year round and now feel naked without it. Gets a little hot under the textile but I sure feel it adds to the protection. The older I get the more protection I seem to want. To many broken bones in my past.

Thanks, Russ

Thanks for the recommendation and the linky. I'll see if I can get one small enough for me. Anything that allows me to keep riding is a good thing.

Holly

Back